Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 of 101 OFFLINE   Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:00 AM

It looks fine to me, but I will also refer you to this review from Blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/68392/#Review
  • Robin9 likes this

#62 of 101 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted December 18 2013 - 04:42 AM

I have received the Carlotta blu-ray of Kiss Me Deadly. There is nothing wrong with the image quality but I must admit to being slightly disappointed as it did not fully match my expectations. Dvdbeaver has a comparative review and it is quite likely to be from the same source as the Criterion disc.

#63 of 101 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,882 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 09:55 AM

I have received the Carlotta blu-ray of Kiss Me Deadly. There is nothing wrong with the image quality but I must admit to being slightly disappointed as it did not fully match my expectations. Dvdbeaver has a comparative review and it is quite likely to be from the same source as the Criterion disc.

What were your expectations?

I have the Criterion disc and I think the picture quality is good. I've never seen a pristine print of Kiss Me Deadly so I don't know how good the film can look, but my guess was that Criterion's disc was about right. I'm not, by the way, a Criterion fan-boy.

#64 of 101 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 10:16 AM

I was hoping for a sharper picture with higher contrast. I didn't really find the image to be much better than the DVD. Occasionally you play a disc which exceeds your expectations like Violent Saturday. Carlotta produce a quality product and I do accept that the image is as good as we will get for what was a low budget film. 

There is a good feature by the director of I, The Jury (1982).

#65 of 101 OFFLINE   Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 02:54 PM

I purchased three of the recently released Pathe Classic Blus and am happy to report Jacques Demy's 3 PLACES POUR LE 26, Bunuel's LA FIEVRE MONTE A EL PAO, and the 1934 LES MISERABLES are Region Free and have English subs.
  • John Hodson likes this

#66 of 101 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,882 posts

Posted December 26 2013 - 11:26 AM

Amazon France says that Chisum will be released on BRD in January.

#67 of 101 OFFLINE   Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 01:50 PM

I received three more of the Pathe restorations and all three, UNE SI JOLIE PETITE PLAGE, LES ORGUEILLEUX, and LE JOUET, are Region Free and have English subs.

#68 of 101 ONLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted January 14 2014 - 02:02 PM

Roman Polanki's: Le Bal des vampires [Blu-ray] The Fearless Vampire Killers

FVKsmall.jpg

I received this very nice looking steel book "Ultimate Edition" from Amazon France last week. The price has come down a bit since I ordered it, but it is still quite high when the shipping cost across the ocean is taken into account.

There has been a great deal of controversy over this release.

Yes, it is a 1080i transfer. Yes, the French subtitles are forced. Yes, it's region locked. And yes, It has the PAL speedup. For all I know, this may be an up-conversion. (As many of you know, there are ways around most of these "roadblocks".)

Do I care? Of course I do. But I have been a fan of this film since I first saw it in it's edited form at a drive-in theater almost 50 years ago. All I can say is that In all the years that I've watched this, from theater screen, to broadcast television, VHS, laserdisc, and DVD. Even with all of its faults, I have never seen it looking better.

The "Ultimate Edition" extras are anemic. They consist of only a few short interviews. No commentaries, or even the alternate cartoon opening from the U.S. version are included.

For die hard fans like myself, this will have to do for now. I can only hope that someone like Criterion can secure the rights, and do the film justice someday.

• MBrousseau likes this

#69 of 101 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,463 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 11 2014 - 01:17 AM

I see France are releasing a Blu-ray of Lord Jim (1965) at the end of June, it's expensive, but it looks a nice package with a 100 page book. The good news here is that Sony have done the HD work, & with Freddie Young as D.O.P. shooting on a large format, it should look stunning. I'm sure it will turn up in other countries, maybe by TT in America.

http://www.amazon.fr...ywords=lord jim

• Ed Lachmann likes this

#70 of 101 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 11 2014 - 06:37 AM

...and The Big Heat.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#71 of 101 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 11:29 AM

Good God, LORD JIM!  And from Wildside, whose BDs are aways gorgeous even if they're a bit pricey.  Still, I'll be rushing to get them 30 euros for this one. Scratch another holy grail off my list.  This International DVD and Blu-ray forum is a real joy to follow.  Thank you, Billy!

#72 of 101 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 13 2014 - 01:43 PM

Good God, LORD JIM! And from Wildside, whose BDs are aways gorgeous even if they're a bit pricey. Still, I'll be rushing to get them 30 euros for this one. Scratch another holy grail off my list. This International DVD and Blu-ray forum is a real joy to follow. Thank you, Billy!

An essential purchase for me as well...as long as it's the roadshow version with intermission etc. It looked great in 70mm.

#73 of 101 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted February 15 2014 - 12:05 AM

"le Blu-ray du film en version salles (141') et version longue (156')"

#74 of 101 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 15 2014 - 01:46 AM

"le Blu-ray du film en version salles (141') et version longue (156')"

Yes but the trouble is that the DVD is about 156 minutes but doesn't include the Overture or Intermission music (I don't recall any Exit Music), so the full roadshow version should be about 162 minutes. I don't see the sense of including a 141 cut general release version - who wants that?

#75 of 101 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 527 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:48 PM

Does anyone know if the French Blu-ray release of DUNE 2000 TV version has forced French subtitles when listening to the English audio track?  I ask because I previously purchased Sheltering Sky which has forced French subtitles.  Terrific transfer the movie looks gorgeous on Blu-ray except for the French subtitles.

#76 of 101 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 02:18 AM

I have received the blu-ray of La Fievre Monte A El Pao. The image quality is excellent, one of the best b & w blu-rays I have seen. It's quite a good film with the exception of one scene of bullfighting which I found offensive.

• FoxyMulder likes this

#77 of 101 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted March 10 2014 - 09:04 AM

I have received the blu-ray of La Fievre Monte A El Pao. The image quality is excellent, one of the best b & w blu-rays I have seen. It's quite a good film with the exception of one scene of bullfighting which I found offensive.

I find bullfighting quite barbaric as well.  I transfer home movies and whenever I get bullfighting footage, I turn off my picture monitor and just use my waveform monitor to make adjustments until those scenes are over.

• FoxyMulder likes this

#78 of 101 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 10 2014 - 09:49 AM

Absolutely agree with the above two posters, i dislike all forms of animal cruelty on film or off.

• AnthonyClarke likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#79 of 101 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,463 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 07 2014 - 12:31 AM

I see France have, Kings Of The Sun '63 for release in early June. Surely it can't be too long before someone releases the same studios, The Vikings.

http://www.amazon.fr...ings of the sun

Also around the same time, My Darling Clementine & The Blue Max, The Blue Max cover is the same as the German release, so it may not be the new transfer.

• Ed Lachmann likes this

#80 of 101 OFFLINE   stevenHa

stevenHa

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 05:39 AM

Just curious, if those procedures I read about on the internet for unlocking the regions on your region A blu ray player really work - you place the region B disc in your player, when the message pops up telling you it won't play, you hold down the number "1" and then it will start playing (I have a Panasonic BDT 210) ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users