• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 of 83 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 27 2013 - 08:53 AM

Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon on blu-ray is fantastic news. It just shows you have to scour the planet for your favourites.

#42 of 83 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted July 27 2013 - 09:09 AM

Anyone who wants help ordering on amazon or any other site, don't hesitate to ask in this thread, I'll post you the direct link (just in case you have problems ordering).

#43 of 83 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,160 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 27 2013 - 10:36 AM

Wild Side is releasing Curse of The Demon / Night of The Demon in November, a 'Collectors Edition', dual format with both UK and US cuts, and a 128 page book.

128 pages!

Not that I'm complaining, but ... wow.

#44 of 83 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 28 2013 - 10:01 AM

It carries a hefty price tag right now (Amazon.fr has it for just under 30 Euros), and I'm a little concerned that the AR is shown at 1.66:1 (as per the last R1 DVD iteration, but incorrect as far as OTAR goes), but then again, according to this interview, Giordano Guillem, the technical manager at Wild Side Video thinks two Fritz Lang Superscope productions should be in Academy.

Edited by John Hodson, July 28 2013 - 10:04 AM.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#45 of 83 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 12:20 AM

128 pages - I hope you can read French!

#46 of 83 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 12:30 AM

John, the two Fritz Lang films you mention are presumably While the City Sleeps and Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. I raised the AR of 'City' on Bob's thread. I have both the UK release which is 1.33:1 and the Warner Archive which is 2:1. However, neither print show the Superscope logo. Bob says widescreen is correct but I am convinced the 1.33:1 is right and that this is how it was shown in the UK.

Do you think either of these two films are likely to be released on blu-ray soon?

#47 of 83 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 01:09 AM

I couldn't say.

But don't think that in the late 1950s either film was presented in the UK in a redundant aspect ratio in cinemas that were anxious only to book films that would drag audiences in to see movies on big, wide, screens. It's a quite ludicrous idea.

• Richard Pyke likes this
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#48 of 83 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted July 29 2013 - 02:53 AM

Just looking at both versions (I have the DVDs), it's obvious these films are superscope only. The 4/3 looks bad with way too much top and bottom empty room even as zoomed in as they are. Guillem just still has that old "all old movies are squared even past 1953" thing, which is understandable since that's how we french grew up on these movies for years and years. 

I'll speak to him if I get the chance, I know a few people at Wild Side. Still these DVD they issued are great.

Edited by HDvision, July 29 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#49 of 83 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 03:03 AM

I'll speak to him if I get the chance, I know a few people at Wild Side.

Do have a quiet word about Night / Curse; they're touting it as a premium release, give it a premium transfer...

Film Journal Blog

#50 of 83 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 850 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 11:24 AM

James Dean Blu Ray......I was strolling in Paris...walked into a store...and there was the WB James Dean Collection in Blu Ray for $30 Euros, which is about $40!

GREAT PRICE.....and a much earlier release date!!!

Ken

#51 of 83 revgen

revgen

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 02:00 PM

I received Lucky Star (1929), Street Angel (1928), 7th Heaven (1927), Violent Saturday (1955), and The Kremlin Letter (1970) blurays in the mail today.

I did a quick check on The Kremlin Letter (1970) since I've yet to see it reviewed anywhere. It's published by Filmedia, an Italian based distributor, in partnership with Fox. The video looks kosher to me. Nicely resolved details. No DNR. A healthy amount of film grain is present. No edge enhancement that I could detect. Video is progressive, and not interlaced. French subtitles could be removed using the subtitle button on my remote. Sound was clear and audible. The disc is dual layered. I believe the video comes from the same source as the Eureka UK PAL release from 2011 that DVD Beaver reviewed, which is an upgrade over the Twighlight Time transfer. This is the first Filmedia blu-ray I've bought. So far, they've made a good first impression.

Edited by revgen, October 10 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#52 of 83 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for that Revgen, I've been wavering on Kremlin Letter.

My only reservation is that after ordering it, Twilight Time will choose this as one of it's DVD-only titles to revisit on Blu.

#53 of 83 Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 546 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 12:31 PM

Beware of Filmedia's EXODUS and the red CIRCUS WORLD BD since the French subtitles cannot be removed.  Nice to know that KREMLIN LETTER has removable subs.  There is a second Filmedia CIRCUS WORLD BD listed on Amazon France.  Any know if that one has removable subs? 

#54 of 83 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 07:14 AM

I'm not sure if anyone has previously posted this but 4 for Texas is due to be released on blu-ray in France in January. The DVD has a nice picture quality so hopefully the blu-ray will be good.

Frank Sinatra in a western!

#55 of 83 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 18 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm not sure if anyone has previously posted this but 4 for Texas is due to be released on blu-ray in France in January. The DVD has a nice picture quality so hopefully the blu-ray will be good.

Frank Sinatra in a western!

Thanks, I'll get this.

#56 of 83 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 07:40 AM

Does anyone know if the Battle of The River Plate re-release still has fixed French subtitles?

Film Journal Blog

#57 of 83 revgen

revgen

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted October 19 2013 - 08:56 AM

Also, for those who are thinking about buying The Kremlin Letter blu-ray, the disc also plays in my region A player, so it appears to be region free.

#58 of 83 Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 12:56 PM

dvdbeaver review of NIGHT OF THE/CURSE OF THE DEMON . . . http://www.dvdbeaver...f_the_demon.htm

#59 of 83 Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted December 11 2013 - 02:46 PM

I received LE CLAN DES SICILLENS/THE SICILIAN CLAN today and it is Region Free.  It has the English dub version, as well as the French version with English subs.   

#60 of 83 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,814 posts

Posted December 11 2013 - 10:27 PM

I received LE CLAN DES SICILLENS/THE SICILIAN CLAN today and it is Region Free.  It has the English dub version, as well as the French version with English subs.   

Thank you. And the picture quality?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users