Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 of 104 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:56 AM

I have a Sony & it has a subtitle button (I thought they all did). You press it to turn the subtitles on & off & to go through the various languages, if the disc has them.

#22 of 104 OFFLINE   martinfish

martinfish

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 01:17 PM

Keith: By coincidence I also have a Panasonic blu-ray player and following your suggestion I used the display button (for the first time!) on the remote and sure enough was able to turn off the sub- titles and I am now looking forward to viewing Violent Saturday, which I saw many years ago, all over again.

I am very grateful and many thanks.

• Robin9 likes this

#23 of 104 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted April 27 2013 - 12:24 AM

I watched the French BRD of Violent Saturday last night. I too was astonished by the quality of this presentation. Didn't Hugo Friedhofer's score sound good? Many, many years ago I saw this film a few times on the big screen but never like this. 

I'm no grain detective but I was startled by the lack of grain in the images. I imagine those grain detectives who believe BRDs should look like a faded, seventh generation film print in a re-run theater will claim that DNR has been used, but I didn't notice any smearing of detail, any "waxiness" in actors' faces. 

I've heard Violent Saturday might be offered to Twilight Time. If so, presumably they won't also be offered Carlotta's feature with William Friedkin.

#24 of 104 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 06:49 PM

Twilight Time already has it on DVD. I suppose anything's possible.

#25 of 104 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 04 2013 - 07:52 AM

Has anybody bought the blu-ray of A Study in Terror from France?

#26 of 104 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 07:10 AM

Has anyone picked up The Killer Elite?  It is one my favorite, but largely forgotten Sam Peckinpah films.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#27 of 104 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 08:07 AM

ROMEO AND JULIET coming on Blu Ray in June from Paramount....in France

Ken

#28 of 104 OFFLINE   David Com

David Com

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted May 11 2013 - 05:57 PM

Has anyone picked up The Killer Elite?  It is one my favorite, but largely forgotten Sam Peckinpah films.

I have it.  Two versions of the film:  the complete American version, and a shorter European version.  Nice transfer, better than my old non-anamorphic DVD.  Subtitles are removable with the subtitle button on my remote, once the movie starts playing.

#29 of 104 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 15 2013 - 02:33 AM

War & Peace 1956 

El Dorado 196

Blu's being released on 11 September.

I've seen this on a couple of sites, I checked Amazon France & it looks like they're coming from Paramount & not licensed out to a local disributor, & if that's the case I'm sure they'll be released in other countries.

#30 of 104 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted June 15 2013 - 06:25 AM

War & Peace 1956 

El Dorado 196

I've seen this on a couple of sites, I checked Amazon France & it looks like they're coming from Paramount & not licensed out to a local disributor, & if that's the case I'm sure they'll be released in other countries.

I'd be interested in both of them . . . if they're done properly of course.

#31 of 104 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted June 15 2013 - 06:55 AM

War & Peace 1956 

El Dorado 196

And Hatari

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#32 of 104 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts

Posted June 17 2013 - 10:52 AM

War and Peace is a VistaVision film and as this is being released by Paramount directly, it will be interesting to see if any other VistaVision films follow. VistaVision releases have ground to a halt as neither Olive nor Warners seem to have any in the pipeline.

#33 of 104 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 02:51 PM

Coming September:

9161hsaDyjL._SL1500_.jpg

• HDvision likes this
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#34 of 104 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 02:10 PM

Up for preorder on Amazon.fr is the 3 movie James Dean BD set (East of Eden, Rebel without a Cause, Giant)  Listed as Oct 2, 2013.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#35 of 104 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 10:25 AM

French company Carlotta Films are releasing Kiss Me Deadly (amongst others) on blu-ray during October/November. Their releases are well produced with excellent transfers and good extras.

#36 of 104 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 02:12 AM

French company Carlotta Films are releasing Kiss Me Deadly (amongst others) on blu-ray during October/November. Their releases are well produced with excellent transfers and good extras.

I wonder if it's the same transfer Criterion used for their Zone A locked BRD.

#37 of 104 OFFLINE   David Com

David Com

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 04:15 PM

Just received the French Blu-ray of "The Kremlin Letter."  It is marked Region B on the back cover, but plays in my Oppo when it is set for Region A, so it looks like it's region free.  Subs are removable with the subtitle button once the movie starts to play.   

• Ken Koc likes this

#38 of 104 OFFLINE   Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted July 22 2013 - 12:55 PM

Just watched the French Blu-Ray of Tobruk.

Disc is from Filmedia.

PQ is much better than the German DVD that I have, detail, colour, contrast are all much better. It seems quite grainy, but it looks pretty good on my 42 inch TV. AR is 2.35:1.

Running time is 109 minutes though it states 176 minutes on the cover. The cover also states region B, but it plays fine on my region A locked player.

There is a choice of English sound with French subtitles or French sound. The French subtitles can be switched off with the remote.

Only extra is a trailer.

• Robin9 likes this

#39 of 104 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 03:09 AM

Wild Side is releasing Curse of The Demon / Night of The Demon in November, a 'Collectors Edition', dual format with both UK and US cuts, and a 128 page book.

Edited by John Hodson, July 27 2013 - 03:09 AM.

• FoxyMulder and Keith Cobby like this
Film Journal Blog

#40 of 104 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 27 2013 - 03:29 AM

If anyone likes Silent Hill and hasn't been too happy with the UK or USA releases then i recommend buying the French release, it has all the extras in French but every single one of them is subtitled, it's also a Region ABC release so will work worldwide, i feel image quality is improved over past releases and it's a director approved version.

A mouseover comparison between the way the old editions looked and the French release.

http://www.darkrealm...ns-silent-hill/

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Manus