Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 of 108 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,241 posts

Posted February 21 2013 - 04:40 AM

The much sought-after film Violent Saturday will be released on BRD in France in early April. The title will be Les Inconnus dans la ville. The distributor is Carlotta who have been around for quite some time. Amazon France declare the aspect ratio as 2.55:1. Does anyone have any experience of Carlotta BRDs? I'm nervous about buying this disc without knowing anything about its quality but, on the other hand, I'd love to have a good Blu-ray rendition of this film in my collection.

#2 of 108 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,609 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 21 2013 - 04:45 AM

As a matter of fact,  I just received my first ever Blu-ray from France, and it just happens to be a Carlotta release -- Joe Dante's Matinee (or "Panic sur Florida Beach") -- and it's absolutely beautiful in every way.   One person, one disc, so take that for what it's worth.  I would certainly hope Violent Saturday is just as good.  Thanks for the heads up on that.

#3 of 108 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,241 posts

Posted February 21 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thank you for that. It's certainly worth knowing that Carlotta at the very least is not exclusively a low grade merchant and may possibly be much better than that. I'll hold my horses until April and see if by then Violent Saturday has been released on other countries. If not, I'll peruse the opinions on Amazon France and perhaps buy the French BRD.

#4 of 108 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,785 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think as long as there are no hard subtitles on the disc, then I would definitely be up for this. I really enjoy this movie with a stellar cast.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#5 of 108 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,743 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 03 2013 - 02:01 AM

I just wouldn't pre-order, it's bound to come up on the net as to forced subs & pq. I have two french blu's, the 1976 King Kong & The Phantom Of The Paradise (both are region free), they look really good, & no forced subs.

#6 of 108 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have pre-ordered Violent Saturday today from France. I have some Carlotta DVDs and the sub-titles are removable so I am confident they will also be removable on the Blu-ray. I had a quick look at Carlotta's site and watched a brief trailer for the film (AR 2.55:1).

I can count the number of times I have pre-ordered on one hand, I am very keen to have a decent copy of this film so fingers crossed. I will report back in due course.

#7 of 108 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:31 PM

I also ordered Daddy Long Legs at the same time to save on postage.

#8 of 108 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 10:06 AM

Carlotta is an interesting company and all of their BDs that I own have a "no subtitle" option.  I have the three classic Borzage silents, SEVENTH HEAVEN, LUCKY STAR and STREET ANGEL in BD.  They look wonderful and so very much better than the U.K. or the expensive American Murnau/Borzage Box versions.  Their OOP FELLINI CASANOVA is also English friendly (English dub version) and worth it if you can find it.   I only wish they would lead again in releasing landmark silents in BD.  I don't think the American studios give a damn about doing it.  DVD Beaver have captures of the four titles I've mentioned.

#9 of 108 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 07:34 AM

I have now had the opportunity to watch the Carlotta Films Blu-ray of Violent Saturday. This must be one of the very best representations of a 1950's Cinemascope film to be released on Blu-ray. I found it to be utterly flawless. The sub-titles are removable.

I have Carlotta Films Allan Dwan DVD box set, which includes Slightly Scarlet (RKO 1956). This is top of my most wanted list, and if anybody from Carlotta is reading this would you please consider a Blu-ray release.

#10 of 108 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,241 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 07:55 AM

I have now had the opportunity to watch the Carlotta Films Blu-ray of Violent Saturday. This must be one of the very best representations of a 1950's Cinemascope film to be released on Blu-ray. I found it to be utterly flawless. The sub-titles are removable.

I have Carlotta Films Allan Dwan DVD box set, which includes Slightly Scarlet (RKO 1956). This is top of my most wanted list, and if anybody from Carlotta is reading this would you please consider a Blu-ray release.

Many thanks for your assessment of Violent Saturday. That's what I was hoping for! I'll place my order immediately. 

I have a substandard Region 1 DVD of Slightly Scarlet from VCI. Is the Carlotta DVD really good?

Edited by Robin9, April 19 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#11 of 108 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 08:23 AM

Robin9: My guess is that somebody at Carlotta really likes Violent Saturday. I would also refer you to the Blu-ray review at Blu-ray.com with which I fully concur.

I have the VCI release of Slightly Scarlet as well as Carlotta's. The Carlotta picture quality is a little better, and as a big fan of the film, was worthwhile to me. There is also a good interview with the screenwriter Robert Blees, but the disk does not have the commentary by Max Allan Collins which I like so therefore I am keeping both editions.

#12 of 108 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 19 2013 - 10:05 AM

Carlotta have also released The Boston Strangler.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#13 of 108 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,241 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 01:26 PM

Amazon France is listing two different BRDs of Circus World. One has the number BOO6P180N2 and is priced @ 9.49Euros. The other is BOOCB31H86 and is priced @ 19.19 Euros.  Someone has posted in this forum that their BRD is one of the best in their collection.

Does anyone know which is the better BRD? (Price is not a reliable guide!)

#14 of 108 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,241 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 01:26 PM

Amazon France is listing two different BRDs of Circus World. One has the number BOO6P180N2 and is priced @ 9.49Euros. The other is BOOCB31H86 and is priced @ 19.19 Euros.  Someone has posted in this forum that their BRD is one of the best in their collection.

Does anyone know which is the better BRD? (Price is not a reliable guide so I'm not willing to assume the more expensive disc is better than the other one!)

Edited by Robin9, April 19 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#15 of 108 OFFLINE   aHorseofCourse

aHorseofCourse

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 04:08 AM

Another big thumbs up for Carlotta's "Violent Saturday" Blu - beautiful transfer and the Scope cinematography is frequently stunning.

#16 of 108 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 12:46 AM

It is believed that Twilight Time is pursuing the release of Violent Saturday & The Kremlin Letter on BD. They did the DVD of both. The DVD of Violent Saturday was flat in that release.

#17 of 108 OFFLINE   Stefan Andersson

Stefan Andersson

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 09:23 AM

Does anyone know which is the better BRD? (Price is not a reliable guide so I'm not willing to assume the more expensive disc is better than the other one!)

Hi Robin9 -- for screencaps from a recent French Blu-Ray release of CIRCUS WORLD, go here:

http://www.dvdclassi...hp?f=32&t=33580

The forum text is in French. The top post contains a picture of the front cover of the Blu disc.

Judging from the screencaps (haven´t seen the disc myself), this is a very good transfer. Scroll down for a screencap of some brief restoration information.

Going by the cover pictured and the link to Amazon.fr included in the top post, the screencaps are taken from the release coded B006P180N2.

The disc coded BOOCB31H86 is due for release in France on 7/24/13 according to the Amazon.fr page. No distributor listed.

Edited by Stefan Andersson, April 22 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#18 of 108 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,241 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 09:24 PM

Thank you for that link. The screen caps are as encouraging as screen caps can be, but of course we all know how unreliable they often are. I note with great sadness that the English soundtrack has forced French sub-titles: a deal breaker for me.

I'll wait to see what "the word" is on the other disc.

#19 of 108 OFFLINE   martinfish

martinfish

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 08:01 AM

I have just received a copy of Les inconnus dans la ville (Violent Saturday) via Amazon France. As Keith Cobby says below;
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]'I have now had the opportunity to watch the Carlotta Films Blu-ray of Violent Saturday. This must be one of the very best representations of a 1950's Cinemascope film to be released on Blu-ray. I found it to be utterly flawless. The sub-titles are removable'. (April 19th).[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]I agree but the last sentence does not seem to apply to my disc (REF 920 306 - BARCODE 3333299 203065). The audio section of my copy is titled Version Originale and underneath Sous-Titree Francais with no option to remove them, and then 3 options as outlined in The Bluray com. review;[/color]

'[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]There are three standard audio tracks on this Blu-ray disc: English DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0, English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0., and French DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0. For the record, Carlotta Films have provided optional French subtitles for the main feature. When turned on, they appear inside the image frame.'[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]Again the mention of removable subtitles, but  there is no option to do so on my copy. Before I return it as faulty, can anyone help?  Am I missing something or is there a French-only version as well as the removable sub-titles version?  If anyone can point me towards the version where I can watch it in english without any subtitles I'd be very grateful![/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]Thanks[/color]

#20 of 108 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:12 AM

Martin: I have a Panasonic Blu-ray player and remove the sub-titles using the 'display' button on my remote which brings up various menus.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users