Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A full 4K Res Home Theater on a 125k Budget

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 of 48 uvman24

uvman24

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 08:11 PM

Wow it looks very nice

#42 of 48 Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 07:19 AM

Wow, WoW, WOW, that looks fantastic!  I'm dying to see some wide shots of all four walls so I can gain perspective on the full layout!

WOW!!

Mark

#43 of 48 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,708 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 23 2014 - 07:35 AM

I think your ceiling costs more than my theater =p Congrats on near finish! Keep pix inc!

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#44 of 48 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 23 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thanks. I will take some final shots tomorrow for the thread.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#45 of 48 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 03:49 PM

Final set of photos guys!

Media Browser in Action

yyXrQwtl.jpg

My focus is off.. sorry..

qaieabLl.jpg

Control4.. (Ignore the mouse, that's not part of the theater, just was with the laptop brought in)

FjOyB8ll.jpg

Getting the granite countertops along the back row of the chairs was a real trick.  It's actually two pieces, but they used some technique to fuse the two together in place and you can't tell at all.

Wide view from the bar.

U97yhBUl.jpg

Ignore the blankets.. kids curl up to watch a film.  :)

Equipment properly in place.

0DGQITkl.jpg

• SAhmed likes this

trakt.tv

#46 of 48 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,181 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 24 2014 - 04:17 PM

No problem.   FYI, this is the screen we ended up going with:

http://www.projector...7-/Screen/27208

VERY easy install.  I'll try to put up some of that later.

I have been reading a lot of complaints about sparklies on the Black Diamond screens, people tend to buy them for light walls and daytime use, with the money you have at your disposal i'm surprised you didn't go for a Seymour, they're not all acoustically transparent but the constant area masking is a huge thing to have.

http://www.seymourav.com/masking.asp

You'll be upgrading next year to Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D if you haven't already. :D

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#47 of 48 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have been reading a lot of complaints about sparklies on the Black Diamond screens, people tend to buy them for light walls and daytime use, with the money you have at your disposal i'm surprised you didn't go for a Seymour, they're not all acoustically transparent but the constant area masking is a huge thing to have.

http://www.seymourav.com/masking.asp

You'll be upgrading next year to Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D if you haven't already. :D

I've already prepped for Atmos.  That was part of the planning.   We have shadowboxes above for overheads, though they aren't mounted because B&W didn't have any that really will go there at the moment.  I'm not going to rush that under the equipment is right.

You know, on the screen we looked at a lot of options.   This room also exists as a panic & storm safety room..   behind that screen is a 10" concrete wall.  The doors is a steel trap door/etc.  When I talked to B&W about customizing speakers for the room, I liked the CT8, but I needed them inverted with some minor changes.   It was easier to get that done then try to worry about knocking out a concrete wall to put something behind a screen ;)

I chose the Diamond Zero Edge Black because when I projected true 4K content, I didn't find any screen in the same category.   You do have to take time to get the projector to really use it correctly, but once it's setup just right I get an image like nothing I've seen.. it is sharper and without being overwhelming brighter and more enjoyable than any LED TV I've seen.

I looked at Stewart and other screens.. everything had pros & cons.  But the DZE really, really worked out for me.  Since I'm constantly flipping from 1.85 to 2.39 to 2.40, I wanted that to be open motorized and ready rather than have to deal with re-sheeting.  It's been flawless for me.

• FoxyMulder likes this

trakt.tv

#48 of 48 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,708 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 02 2014 - 05:54 AM

Party at Matt's house! Damn, Google maps shows you are almost exactly due west, but it's a 17 hour drive =)

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users