What's new

The best time to buy? (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I used to be an HTF reviewer and sold TVs at Circuit City as a way to get out and talk about my hobby. But then I changed careers and lost touch with the home theater market. I was satisfied with my tv and receiver, and didn't really have the money to upgrade anyway. I am, however, now in the position to reignite my passion with a home purchase and new job with a little extra cash. I have found a tv and receiver that I like. I'm in no rush to buy, so I figured that I would open a question to the crowd: when would be the best time to pull the trigger on a purchase? When do model years change over?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The "basics" come out in March/April. Middle in April/May and the "top" anytime between June and August. Meaning...Onkyo replacements for the 313/414/515/616 will appear in March. The 717/818 in April/May. The 1010/3010/5010 sometime in August. Panasonic...720P and beginning 1080P will come out next month. The VT replacements by August. Been this way for 10 years.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
... or to put it another way: Something "new" is always right around the corner (6 months or less), so in some respects there is no "best" time to buy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have to become a buyer like I am. Of course it helps I've been in this hobby for 30 years. Buy stuff used and don't be afraid to re-sell stuff. My "lightweight" HT in my home(I have 4 rooms with 5.1 or more) is an Integra DTR 5.8. I bought that AVR, used, when the "format war" was over and BD won. Bought my first BD player, used, as a profile 1...when BD Live had just come out. When the 2nd year of BD live was out and "wifi" started making inroads... I bought 2 used Panny BD35. I then lucked into a Sony 350. Sold my original profile 1 for half what I originally paid for it. When I bought the DTR 5.8 I already had a Denon(forget the model but it had three component inputs), Yamaha 5490 and a panasonic SAHE200. I put all three "component" up for sale. The Denon sold first. Took the other two "off the market". When I bought the next 2 BD players I bought a Yamaha 6180, sold the 5490. Then I lucked into a cheap Onkyo SR707...sold the Panny HE200. Hated the yammy 6180, found an Onkyo 1008...sold the 6180. That gave me 3 HT in the house. I then found a DTR 7.8, put the 5.8 in a closet. Persused CL on day, found a guy selling some Polk S8 for $50. I already had a pair of S6. Scoured Fleabay for 2 days...found a center. Anyway...that is how you keep up with this hobby. Buy used when you can...and don't be afraid to sell stuff.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tell you what I just bought/sold as well. I bought an Oppo 970. I paid, with shipping...$55(yeah, you all can cry). I was "3rd high" bidder on fleabay...the higher bidders "non-payed" and didn't take the 2nd chance. The sun shown on my ass that day. Sold a Denon 1940 for double what I paid for the Oppo. I don't even think I paid $125 when I got it and the guy threw in the LOTR trilogy, a couple other DVD and some AudioQuest interconnects(3 pairs). I had that thing 3 years. I also sold an Onkyo DVSP504 for more than I paid for the Oppo. I still have 2 analog SACD/DVD-A to go with the HDMI Oppo. Granted, I'm not always "that lucky" when it comes to buying/selling...but sometimes you just are.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Ill see your Oppo 970 and raise you a JVC HD550. Paid exactly $900 shipped on fleabay using best offer. Used the crap out of it for three weeks and put 87 hours on its brand new JVC lamp. Two days later sold it on Amazon for $1320.49. After shipping costs and Amazon fees: $300 profit.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Im not sure I would consider an ebay seller with over 9,000 positive feedback as a "nimrod" but their ebay member ID is isoldit.ca0238. Theyre a reseller out of Fullerton, Ca. Left them positive feedback on 16 Jan ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aahh...I've gotten deals from those places. There is an Isoldit near me that allows local pick-up. On top of the fees that Ebay takes...Isoldit takes another 40% of the remainder. So the guy who sold the thing probably only got $400. Sad. The Isoldit near me won't do "reserve" price auctions either...even more sad.

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
Nothing wrong with buying components used, as long as they are good to begin with and not abused, you usually get a better deal. I've gotten some decent deals on Audiogon in the past as well. Ebay is pretty hit or miss these days. Some days you make out, other days, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks