What's new

Suggestions/New Processor (1 Viewer)

frankFF

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Fanucci
I currently have the 990/770 combo in my dedicated Home Theater room. The room is 25' long and 13' wide at it's widest point 6.5' high. The 990 has serve me well over the last seven years but I was thinking about upgrading due to HDMI and better processing chips and some other bells and whistles that are found on many processors today. I had been saving money for the 978 which never made it into production at a great disappointment for a lot of fellow Outlaws. However I have to say that Outlaw is in my opinion a good company with great customer service support. I still value Outlaw as a good company to deal with and I have found their support is surpassed by none. I have B&W 804S speakers and I have this thing about upgrading my 990. I do not know where to go in deciding about a new processor. I think that the 804S speaker are a very good model made by B&W. I enjoy listening to them musically and while watching movies. None the less I was surprised that there are few articles to read from people who own this speaker. There are plenty of articles and forum talk about the 804 diamond series and some people have suggested for me to keep my processor and step up to the DIAMOND series. On the other side I have had suggestions to look into MacIntosh, and Rotel. My friend just purchased the Integra 80.3 for his Signatures S6. I asked the sale person to hook up the B&W 804S speaker to the Integra and I really did not notice a difference in sound from what I already have. I asked him about the Marantz and I have to schedule a time when he could set something up for me to listen too. I do have a budget. I was offered $350.00 for the Outlaw 990 as a trade in for the Marantz 7001. My price would be an additional $1300.00. However I do not know at this writing if the 804s' will sound any different from my existing set-up with the Marantz7001. This is where on other forums people have suggested trading in the 804's for the diamond series. I am should there will be a significant change but I like the B&W 804S. Sorry to make this so long and drawn out. Bottom line is does anyone here have any suggestions or thoughts about this idea for me wanting to upgrade? My budget is $4000.00 Thanks

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
There are quite a few options for you. Outlaw just released the 975 - but I'm inclined to point you towards one of the other options available. I think that either the Integra DHC 80.3 or the Marantz AV8801 would be a better overall fit since you're getting Audyssey XT32 - which will give you a much better overall in-room response. If you're pondering speakers vs processor - that's a much tougher answer. I don't think you'll get a massive improvement from changing processors (noticeable - not huge) - but you'll get a big benefit from room correction. If you then want even better sound you can pursue upgrading speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't forget Anthem either. The MRX make great pre-pro and lots of people are in love with their ARC(not to be confused with CEC/ARC). $350 for your 990 is fair, especially since there are two of them on Fleabay now "for less" that may not even sell... And your current speakers still carry a decent aftermarket value. If you choose the upgrade route.

frankFF

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Fanucci
Thanks guys for your suggestions. Still not sure which direction to go....with speakers. I agree with the idea that a different processor might not be the way to go since I would only hear a marginal difference. I definitely would want to stick with B&W's. I might have to put off any idea of getting new speakers since my budget is only $4000.00 and I do not know what the value of my 804S speakers. Again, Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks