What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hannah and Her Sisters -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jump ahead ten films and thirteen years in the Woody Allen filmography, and you get Hannah and Her Sisters, which falls neatly between Purple Rose and Radio Days, neither of which is yet available on Blu-ray. Come to think of it, there are very few of his film available in the format. I've had to import a number of them. With over 40 films to his credit, only about ten are currently available in the U.S., and that's a pity. Strangely, while Sleeper in $17 on Amazon, Hannah, like Annie Hall, Manhattan and a few others is just over $10. Still less at Costco. A wonderfully neurotic film, and with far less blood than Django Unchained, Hannah is a quality Blu-ray experience. While not a prime image harvest, colors, contrast, grain are all pleasing. Like Sleeper, audio is in DTS-HD MA 1.0, and sounds perfect. Image - 4 Audio - 5 Recommended. RAH

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I note that Hannah ..... is in mono and am aware that Woody Allen has comparitively recently begun issuing his films in stereo/multi channel. As he very closely controls his films this is obviously his decision and I wonder whether anyone in the know might be able to explain firstly: Why he avoided the aesthetic pleasure of spacious music & FX for so long and secondly what made him change his mind. Not long ago I saw VICKY CHRISTINA BARCELONA on UK tv and using the Dolby matrix setting on my system, until I switched it out, the lack of any difference component resulted in everything being confined to the centre speaker.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
I'm glad you brought up the imports Mr. Harris, I've been eyeing "Everybody Says I Love You" which is only available import, as a gift for someone special. This title especially since the DVD is inexplicably not 16x9. Have you seen this blu-ray?

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
HANNAH AND HER SISTERS is one of my favorite Woody Allen films and until recently I owned a gorgeous 16mm print of the film. By the mid to late 1980's, the quantity of 16mm prints made on a title were becoming fewer and fewer, so picking up a contemporary film in the format became more difficult. By this time the duplicate negative and print stocks had improved considerably and it is amazing how good HANNAH looks in 16. Of course, a properly made 35mm print would be even better, but that's a difficult format to enjoy in the home, with the size and weight of the reels and the fact there's a need for changeovers every 20 minutes. Anyway, the new Blu-ray of HANNAH AND HER SISTERS digitally projected looks every bit as good (and even better) than the print I had. And that's why I love well made Blu-rays and DVD's. When done correctly, they look as good as properly projected film, at a fraction of the price. I paid $450 for that 16mm print that I used to own. I paid $10 for the Blu-ray. Yes I will always love film but I'm just amazed by how great a projected Blu-ray can look too.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Ken Volok
I'm glad you brought up the imports Mr. Harris, I've been eyeing "Everybody Says I Love You" which is only available import, as a gift for someone special. This title especially since the DVD is inexplicably not 16x9.
Have you seen this blu-ray?
I have all the Woody blu-rays, and the Scandanavian titles look very good to me. They're older masters, but a nice uptick from DVD. If you wait for a U.S. release you will likely be waiting a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks