Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 2-19-2013

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 of 48 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,258 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper 

Fry's website is advertising $24.99 for Game of Thrones Season 2 on Blu-Ray.

In store price was $29.99 on the shelf and at the register, but I was able to get them to price-match their own website, and got it for $24.99.  A great bargin!

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#22 of 48 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,734 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 05:10 AM

For those interested, the sticker on the Target exclusive of Argo just says "30 minutes of exclusive bonus content" IIRC. Sorry, I'm at work and it is in my car. No idea what those 30 minutes actually are. Oh and a warning: you have to pick up one with that sticker if you want the bonus content. It has a different slipcase than the standard Blu-ray of Argo. And yes, they're carrying both and they're side-by-side (at least they were in my store). So if I wasn't paying attention, I could have picked up the regular non-exclusive version.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#23 of 48 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,163 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 19 2013 - 07:12 AM

For those interested, the sticker on the Target exclusive of Argo just says "30 minutes of exclusive bonus content" IIRC. Sorry, I'm at work and it is in my car. No idea what those 30 minutes actually are.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but based on the back of the case, it looks like it's 3 featurettes.

#24 of 48 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,197 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 19 2013 - 07:48 AM

http://www.hometheat...e/61/id/176362/ http://www.hometheat...e/61/id/176363/ I decided for GoT, to get the lion cover from BB since I have one of those previous covers for season one, over the Target interview. BB is selling the exclusive covers for $35 and have the standard cover matching Target at $30. Just for giggles I went up to cs to ask for a price match even though its an exclusive and luckily the new rep in there allowed the match not realizing it was an exclusive. Also I saw on the news last night that starting march 1st BB will be price matching essentially all online sales prices, so good luck with that.
facebook.com/whotony

#25 of 48 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for another WRU, Mike. I may see about picking up both seasons of GoT at Target given all the raves. Had been avoiding it as usual (when it comes to TV shows). _Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#26 of 48 OFFLINE   David Dias

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 08:40 AM

Game of Thrones is definitely one show you shouldn't avoid.

#27 of 48 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,728 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 19 2013 - 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Carlo Medina 

Oh and a warning: you have to pick up one with that sticker if you want the bonus content. It has a different slipcase than the standard Blu-ray of Argo. And yes, they're carrying both and they're side-by-side (at least they were in my store). So if I wasn't paying attention, I could have picked up the regular non-exclusive version.

Tony nailed the pictures of the Target EXCLUSIVE...I just figured I would confirm Carlo's description of the side-by-side appearance difference:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#28 of 48 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,728 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 19 2013 - 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by David Dias 

Game of Thrones is definitely one show you shouldn't avoid.

Is Game of Thrones especially violent?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#29 of 48 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,775 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 09:42 AM

Is Game of Thrones especially violent?

Given the genre and that it is produced for cable there is sex and violence in the series. I guess especially violent is a subjective term. The violence tends to be short and kind of brutal but for the most part it is reasonably realistic. It doesn't shy away from violence, but I don't think it revels in it either. IMHO, it is no where as violent (at least in terms of graphic nature) as Spartacus (the Starz series) or the film 300. Nor is the violence stylized in the manner of that show and film with CGI'd buckets of blood. The show is easily one of the best things on television with great production values and a fine cast of actors and wonderful dialog. I don't think I can recommend any contemporary show more highly than this one. Be prepared for a long haul if you get into the show though. The upcoming season (three) is said to comprise the first half of the third book (of an eventual seven books). Given the length of books 4 and 5 (which I have not read as of yet) the series has the potential to last at least a decade. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#30 of 48 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,728 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 19 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, Walter.

I suspect I will stay away for now.  There's no way for me to get into something of that sort since my wife has zero interest (or, maybe more accurately, zero tolerance) for such fare.

I often have a hard time working-in viewings of theatrical action-adventure films since our theater is in the living room.

#31 of 48 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,197 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 19 2013 - 10:01 AM

I generally don't get into these extra violent shows but the stories are Great with this specific show as it isn't just about violence and sex. This is what I didn't like about the Sparticus series. That's more stylized sex and violence and not all that interesting to me.
facebook.com/whotony

#32 of 48 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 19 2013 - 11:07 AM

There are plenty of violent events, and there is plenty of onscreen nudity/sexual content, but I don't particularly think of it as a show that's a showcase for onscreen violence. A good deal of the violence happens offscreen, and the focus is always on the characters.

#33 of 48 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,163 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 19 2013 - 11:26 AM

I suspect I will stay away for now.  There's no way for me to get into something of that sort since my wife has zero interest (or, maybe more accurately, zero tolerance) for such fare.

If your wife really doesn't like those kinds of things, you'll never get her into the show. The show has its positives but there aren't enough to overcome all the violence and deviant sex.

#34 of 48 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 19 2013 - 01:41 PM

Thanks, Walter. I suspect I will stay away for now.  There's no way for me to get into something of that sort since my wife has zero interest (or, maybe more accurately, zero tolerance) for such fare.  I often have a hard time working-in viewings of theatrical action-adventure films since our theater is in the living room. 

Perhaps invest in some spa weekend coupons for the missus...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#35 of 48 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,435 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 19 2013 - 02:45 PM

The review for Atlas Shrugged Part II can be found here.

#36 of 48 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,728 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 19 2013 - 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Toddwrtr 

My review of The Nest can be found here.

Originally Posted by MattH. 

The review for Atlas Shrugged Part II can be found here.

Thanks, fellas.  Off to the OP!

Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein 

Perhaps invest in some spa weekend coupons for the missus...

Posted Image

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

Spurred on by Mike's recommendation Posted Image, I was standing outside Target at 8 AM this morning. As much as I hated to drag myself out the door any earlier than I possibly had to, it's probably the smoothest a trip to Target has ever gone. I was in and out in five minutes, no wait at the register.

It reminds of when my dad would get me awake as a young boy for an early morning fishing trip.   I had never seen the lake so still...or the early morning fog lifting...

The wonders of an early morning...

Posted Image

#37 of 48 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted February 20 2013 - 03:02 AM

FWIW, frys.com has GoT:2 for $25 shipped. _Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#38 of 48 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,577 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 20 2013 - 03:13 AM

That changed to in-store pickup only sometime in the last 24-36 hours.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#39 of 48 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted February 20 2013 - 07:28 AM

Seems to come and go I guess. It was available for online purchase earlier this morning. _Man_

#40 of 48 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,577 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 20 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sneaky.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users