What's new

Help Please! (1 Viewer)

rdew0759

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
I need a new AVR my Onkyo (TX-SR706) died on me and I need a new one. I am up for any brand and would like to stay under 600 dollars if possible. I have a Panasonic 58" Plasma television(TH-58pz800u) with polk audio speakers and sub running a 5.1 (RM6750) setup right now. I really have no preferences where to start and figured someone on her could give me a better idea. I do like the iphone airplay feature and the pandora capabilities but it is not 100% necessary. I did not like the sound quality from my old Onkyo but it did suffice. It could be my speakers too but Ill take all the advice that I can get. also I use a ps3 for blueray play back. Thanks for the advice in advance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What kind of sound quality are you expecting from tiny satellites? And, seriously...going to spend $600 for your AVR to push $200 speakers?

rdew0759

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
Speakers are temporary going to upgrade them also but one thing at a time and since one of those two things are inoperable i chose it first! So if you wanna run your mouth about what i got and not give me any help then take your comments somewhere else!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You mentioned you weren't happy with the quality, infering it could be the Onkyo... "I did not like the sound quality from my old Onkyo but it did suffice." What other features do you want? Onkyo uses a digital USB to bypass the crappy DAC contained in Apple products. Yamaha, Pioneer/Elite, Denon/Marantz and Sony are on the Airplay train. Most people agree bypassing the crappy DAC sounds better(or people wouldn't be buying this thing... http://www.ebay.com/itm/wadia-170i-/300860593742?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460cb0564e ) Besides the PS3, what else is there? Cause Airplay can be bought at this price point...(technically the 822, but I think the 822 must already be "gone" waiting on the '13 model to show) http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-1022-K-7-Channel-Receiver-Network/dp/B007O5ATC8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361044643&sr=1-5&keywords=pioneer+airplay The comparable Onkyo to the 706 is this one... http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR717-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B007JOO4YS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361044758&sr=1-1&keywords=nr717

rdew0759

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
I also said it could be the speakers and thats what I figured it was. I have had them for about 5 years now too so I know they suck! I appreciate the information you gave me on the receivers. I am on direct tv and other than that I really do not have anything else hooked up to it. I may get stuff in the future though. I had been looking at the vsx-1122 is it pretty good or should i go with the one you suggested above? The one you listed and it seem to fulfill all my other features i would need. My father in law has a set of klipsch quintet 3 and i know they are out dated now but they are satellite also and just sound so much better. I know they are better quality than what i have but if you had to go back with that style speaker is that what you would recommend? I know theses receivers are better than what I need for these speakers but I am looking to upgrade a little in the future and figured while I could get it I might as well purchase for the future.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 1122 has quite a bit more features then the 1022, but that's only a good thing if you will actually use some of them. And the less you spend on the receiver the more you can spend on the speakers. There are quite a few good receivers in the $400-$600 range. Look at newegg.com (Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo) , ac4l.com (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo refurbs) and Harman Kardon's ebay store (2600/3600) for more options. Browse the other threads in the and you'll see what's been recommended to others. There's no perfect receiver. It's all about compromises. Last years models and factory refurbished models offer the best value. But keep in mind.... Pioneer and Yamaha only allow one crossover setting for all speakers groups. Ton's of features and settings though. Denon's are harder to setup and operate. Good all-around performers but nothing spectacular. Onkyo doesn't give you the better versions of Audyssey untill the 8xx series. Best over-all value but least attractive. H/K has the best amp section but the fewest features. Marantz isn't what it used to be (but still pretty good. All the opinion of yet another knucklehead on the internet :P (but I'm right ;) ). I currently own a Pioneer, two Marantz' and two older H/K's.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I would do...unless you need the pre-outs(by the way...what "died" in your 706? if it was an amp channel...have you tried the pre-outs?). http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor30-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker/dp/B006RK370M/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361050545&sr=1-2&keywords=polk+monitor+30 http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88VI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361050682&sr=1-1&keywords=nr515 Under your $600 budget, you still get the digital USB for Apple...and it can be ran with the Apple Apps...you just won't have wireless streaming(which I'd give up for better sound). The Monitor 30 will allow you to set your front crossover at 80, instead of the 120-150 you have it set now. You can either use height...or a traditional 7.1 with the fronts you have now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You should try to sell it. The HDMI board replacement isn't tough...provided you know how to use a solder gun. And there might be people out there that want it for use with SACD/DVD-A. But yeah, the X06 Onkyo are known for dead HDMI...you can find the boards on Ebay. It also wouldn't hurt to put in a quick call to Onkyo, they've been known to offer a free HDMI board on the 606/706/806/876...if you pay shipping both ways. (especially if you "hint" that you are wanting a newer AVR to take advantage of newer audio formats...it also depends if they have any of the boards...)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And here you go. The board, if it "recently failed" and you weren't having the other issues...(note the 706 is actually "extra") http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONKYO-TX-SR606-7-1-A-V-RECEIVER-HDMI-REPAIR-SERVICE-/150664829211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231452d91b

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi My initial thoughts would be to spend as little as possible on a new AVR. If you want Pandora etc, get those options on a low end BD player. Then use your saved money and start to invest in better speakers. Fun stuff, enjoy the shopping. Gregg

rdew0759

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
Ok So I played with my 706 a little this am for the first time in about 1.5 yrs. If I plug my cable box into the dvd hdmi port and press the cable/sat I can get sound and picture perfectly on my tv. But if I plug in to anything else all I get is a blue screen with the source I selected on my reciever displayed on my screen. So is this the hdmi issue or is it something else I just messed up. I have decided I will try to revive this unit and buy better speakers for now if possible. Thanks for everyones advice. Would I be ok to buy a new center channel and two bookshelfs and use my polk as high fronts and sat rears?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI "fried board" is typically* no screen at all. Blue-screen usually* means you haven't re-established handshake. Did you "hot-swap" the HDMI? *typically/usually does not mean always. Edit: Secondary question. During this blue screen, what happens when you press set-up?

rdew0759

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
If you mean just unplugging and moving it around with out powering down unit or changing setting yes i "hot Swapped" oops! lol Lessoned learned But I will mess with it later when i get home and let you know what happens when i hit setup. I dont think the last post i made was the all the story when i plug the hdmi cable into the dvd input on the reciever i have to press the Sat/Cable button to actually see the picture. That might help you a little also! I sure do appreciate all your help with this and time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks