Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Running DVI connection through HDMI wire to save $$

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   tcsekhar

tcsekhar

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 12:50 AM

I need to run a DVI D dual link connection between my HTPC to my projector which are 30 feet apart and there is a 2" pipe to run wire. I won't be able to insert a DVI cable. Will running a HDMI v1.4 cable and using two HDMI female to DVI male connectors at the end work? Will there be any missing link due to convertions? I was planning to avoid running CL2 D cable with wall plates for DVI and spend over $200 for this one. I would really appreciate your reply.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,216 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 16 2013 - 03:47 AM

As long as the signal isn't analog you are sending. HDMI only supports 1080P, not "wheatever the two analog dual-link support".

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,025 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 16 2013 - 07:51 AM

As long as your projector supports it, fine.  In most cases, you will need a fully compliant HDMI Splitter - this can easily be done with many receivers (PC to Reciever, Receiver Output to projector and to other display).

I say this because unless you are going straight from PC to receiver or other sound source via TOSLINK or analog, you may lose audio output without a split ;)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   tcsekhar

tcsekhar

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'm running the DVI from my HTPC with no Audio to the projector - the Audio is connected through SPDIF optical cable to a receiver. Converting DVI to HDMI and then feeding to HDMI on Projector has quality issues - the screen is not as crisp as direct DVI connection for some reason. Thats why I wanted to retain the DVI input to the projector - but I have a concern that I'm converting to HDMI and then again from HDMI to DVI - and didn't want to lose the quality once again. Thanks.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,216 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 16 2013 - 09:31 AM

Again, it all comes down to the resolution you are sending. If 1080P, great. But I have no idea why DVI over to HDMI into the projector looks any different than DVI-DVI...unless the projector somehow is "set up better" for DVI. What projector is this?

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 10:16 PM

As long as the signal isn't analog you are sending. HDMI only supports 1080P, not "wheatever the two analog dual-link support".

I believe that the latest version of HDMI supports 30-inch, 2560 x 1600 pixel monitors (and beyond). The issue is that a lot of HDMI implementations don't. They only go to 1920x1200 (computer monitors) or 1080p (HDTVs). Introducing HDMI Specification Version 1.4a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users