What's new

Running DVI connection through HDMI wire to save $$ (1 Viewer)

tcsekhar

Auditioning
Real Name
Chandra Sekhar
I need to run a DVI D dual link connection between my HTPC to my projector which are 30 feet apart and there is a 2" pipe to run wire. I won't be able to insert a DVI cable. Will running a HDMI v1.4 cable and using two HDMI female to DVI male connectors at the end work? Will there be any missing link due to convertions? I was planning to avoid running CL2 D cable with wall plates for DVI and spend over $200 for this one. I would really appreciate your reply.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As long as the signal isn't analog you are sending. HDMI only supports 1080P, not "wheatever the two analog dual-link support".

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
As long as your projector supports it, fine. In most cases, you will need a fully compliant HDMI Splitter - this can easily be done with many receivers (PC to Reciever, Receiver Output to projector and to other display). I say this because unless you are going straight from PC to receiver or other sound source via TOSLINK or analog, you may lose audio output without a split ;)

tcsekhar

Auditioning
Real Name
Chandra Sekhar
I'm running the DVI from my HTPC with no Audio to the projector - the Audio is connected through SPDIF optical cable to a receiver. Converting DVI to HDMI and then feeding to HDMI on Projector has quality issues - the screen is not as crisp as direct DVI connection for some reason. Thats why I wanted to retain the DVI input to the projector - but I have a concern that I'm converting to HDMI and then again from HDMI to DVI - and didn't want to lose the quality once again. Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Again, it all comes down to the resolution you are sending. If 1080P, great. But I have no idea why DVI over to HDMI into the projector looks any different than DVI-DVI...unless the projector somehow is "set up better" for DVI. What projector is this?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
schan1269 said:
As long as the signal isn't analog you are sending. HDMI only supports 1080P, not "wheatever the two analog dual-link support".
I believe that the latest version of HDMI supports 30-inch, 2560 x 1600 pixel monitors (and beyond). The issue is that a lot of HDMI implementations don't. They only go to 1920x1200 (computer monitors) or 1080p (HDTVs). Introducing HDMI Specification Version 1.4a

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks