What's new

Pioneer SC-1222-K ... vs ... Pioneer VSX-1122-K (1 Viewer)

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
I've been researching new receivers and I found an interesting fact about the comparison between these two: 1. They have similar features. 2. The 1222 has a "Class D3" amplifier 3. The 1222 weighs a WHOPPING 32 POUNDS!!!! (1122 weighs 22 lbs.) WOW! 4. 1222 is $529 at Newegg, free shipping 5. 1122 is $379 at Newegg, free shipping 6. Both come packed with excellent features and reviews. What is the advantage of a Class D3 amp? Is the amp where the extra 10 lb is? Thoughts?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The main advantage to the 1222 is the HD video Adjustment, PC control, pre-outs, dual chassis(means audio and video are separate) and a 2nd component input. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/PUSA/template.PRODUCT_COMPARISON/?vgnextoid=205a5371c2ac5310VgnVCM1000003367a8c0RCRD

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
Thanks Sam and Gene... quite helpful information. It's been a LONG time since I did any research on AVR's. As I mentioned in another thread, I purchased my Harman Kardon AVR65 in 1998 and it has been a reliable work-horse for 15 years. But it's been a little long-in-the-tooth for about 8 of those 15 years, so it's time for an upgrade. I'll continue to search and research and hopefully make an informed decision that I can be pleased with for a good number of years. (Not that any of today's receivers can match my hearty HK's longevity!):)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The main difference... Yamaha, Pioneer/Elite use a single crossover point. Onkyo/Integra, Denon/Marantz, HK and Sony(I think) use multiple crossovers. So if your speakers are different sizes and you want the choice to run the main pair "other than 80"...you want multiple crossovers. But. If your speakers match, capability wise, I give the edge to YPAO over MCACC. I also think pre-outs is necessary. So, for me...I wouldn't even consider a pioneer below the 1522.

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
schan1269 said:
The main difference... Yamaha, Pioneer/Elite use a single crossover point. Onkyo/Integra, Denon/Marantz, HK and Sony(I think) use multiple crossovers. So if your speakers are different sizes and you want the choice to run the main pair "other than 80"...you want multiple crossovers. But. If your speakers match, capability wise, I give the edge to YPAO over MCACC. I also think pre-outs is necessary. So, for me...I wouldn't even consider a pioneer below the 1522.
Ok... this kind of stuff is the reason I'm here! So would you consider the ONKYO TX-NR717? I believe it might have been you who posted "the 717 will mop the floor with the 1222." (paraphrased...correct me if I'm wrong) Newegg has it right now for $500 with the $50 promo code. Obviously a great deal.

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
The Pioneer 1222 is a nice receiver, I have one. Take a look at the SC-61 (Same as 1222 but has 12V triggers) http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver It has unparallelled power output in this price range, and has a lot of features for the money. The 717 is nice, but the only thing really going for the Onkyo is Audyssey and a 2nd HDMI output. They do have HDMI board issues as well.

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
TheGary said:
The Pioneer 1222 is a nice receiver, I have one. Take a look at the SC-61 (Same as 1222 but has 12V triggers) http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver It has unparallelled power output in this price range, and has a lot of features for the money. The 717 is nice, but the only thing really going for the Onkyo is Audyssey and a 2nd HDMI output. They do have HDMI board issues as well.
Does the 1222 have video upconversion?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes the 1222 has HDMI video upconversion. Onkyo isn't the only one that has HDMI board issues. Everybody notices them cause Onkyo darn near has half the market to themselves. Denon, not long ago, had "frying LAN" that took many an AVR out. They also had "instant death" problems on 6ohm speakers. So...Onkyo isn't the only one to have the occasional "gee, can we get some QC over here...???"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks