Wither Woody Woodpecker?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,947 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 03:02 AM

I was watching some of the cartoons on the Volume 2 of the Woody Woodpecker set last night with my children and they were really enjoying it. I wanted to ask if anyone had thought about future releases. Last year, Jerry Beck said on Stu's Show that there would be a special Woody Woodpecker set for Universal's 100th (http://www.hometheat...mmorrow-at-4/60 post 89), but it never happened (although there was a bonus disk in the Universal 100 Mega Set with many previously released cartoons). One thought I had was that, since Sony did well by selling the UPA set through TCM, perhaps Universal could release more Woody Woodpecker that way. Any thoughts?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,616 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:12 AM

I really liked the first two volumes of WOODY WOODPECKER & FRIENDS, although the fact that they burned through pretty much all the worthwhile Woody and Chilly Willy shorts presents a problem for further collections. While a lot of the other series/characters (most notably Andy Panda, but also Oswald, Swing Symphonies, Ma & Pa, Hickory Dickory & Doc) and one-shot cartoons are represented, there are still a bunch of these, particularly from the 1930s-1950s, that are still in the vaults. With 99% of the worthwhile Woody and Chilly cartoons already covered, a Volume 3 would be heavy with really lackluster (barring a tiny handful of exceptions) Woody & Chilly cartoons from the mid-1960s through 1972. They'd need to feature Woody, as he's the star character, and the one with lasting public recognition, to allow for the higher-quality earlier shorts to be included, but I think most people, apart from completists, would be pretty disappointed with the remaining Woody/Chilly cartoons they'd get in a Volume 3 (unless the double-dipped a number of the classics, but I think most would be against that, myself included), and they'd outnumber the non-Woody/Chilly shorts in the set... and a Volume 4 then probably wouldn't have any unreleased Woody Woodpecker shorts left to work with, and so would be really tough to market to a general audience. For me, ideally, the remaining older shorts would be a TCM Vault release (or MOD), simply titled 'Walter Lantz Cartoon Classics', focusing on the unreleased rare and earlier stuff that classic-era cartoon buffs me really want, along the lines of the non-Magoo UPA set they put out last year.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,413 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:35 AM

I enjoyed the 2 volumes and was hoping they would complete it as well. Didn't they stop at around 1958 or 1959? So a volume 3 would probably only go to 1965 or 1966. Still alot of good material there, it wouldn't be until Volume 4 that we get mostly bottom of the barrel stuff. I believe volume 2 did not sell well enough just like Popeye Volume 3 which is why they were stopped.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users