• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 Dan Messner

Dan Messner

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hello Everyone :

I have a question about 3D glasses. A friend just had an 80" Sharp t.v. and a Samsung BD-E5900 installed in an apartment complex common area. The blu-ray player did not come with glasses. Do Samsung glasses need to be purchased or glasses designed to work with the tv.

Thanks,

Dan Messner

#2 of 23 Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 11:10 AM

The glasses have to match the tv.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#3 of 23 ahollis

ahollis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 10 2013 - 11:21 AM

The TV has to be 3D compatible also. Attaching a 3D player to a 2D TV will not work.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 23 Ejanss

Ejanss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 04:34 PM

Hello Everyone :  I have a question about 3D glasses. A friend just had an 80" Sharp t.v. and a Samsung BD-E5900 installed in an apartment complex common area. The blu-ray player did not come with glasses. Do Samsung glasses need to be purchased or glasses designed to work with the tv.

Glasses don't come with 3D players, they come with 3D sets. (Because you don't watch the player.) If pairs didn't come with the set, you'd have to get whichever exclusively compatible brand goes with the set-- If it's a Sharp 3DTV, glasses should be available at Best Buy and Amazon; if it isn't a 3DTV, again, you're, um, out of luck.

#5 of 23 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,927 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:20 AM

Correct which is why you can use most any brand of 3D player with a 3D set. They don't have to be made by the same manufacturer. But the glasses must be compatible with the set you're using.

#6 of 23 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:10 AM

. For current model year sets the $20 Samsung active glasses will work with Panasonic active sets. Samsung's more expensive rechargeable glasses should also work with Sharp sets, but there's no cost advantage there over the Sharp glasses. Sharp active glasses have a unique feature in that the 3D effect can be turned off on the glasses. So if one member of the family is adversely affected by 3D (headaches, nausea) they can wear the glasses with the 3D turned off while the rest of the family can watch in 3D. Sharp active glasses should also work with Panasonic active sets, again if the set is current model year. Sony 3D sets only work with Sony glasses. All passive 3d sets will work with all polarized (not red/blue anaglyph) passive glasses. Any 3D player will work with any 3D set, though if you have an older HDMI AV reciever it may not be capable of passing the 3D signal, in which case you must connect the player directly to the set and run an digital optical cable from the player to the receiver.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#7 of 23 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,787 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:20 AM

Sharp active glasses have a unique feature in that the 3D effect can be turned off on the glasses. So if one member of the family is adversely affected by 3D (headaches, nausea) they can wear the glasses with the 3D turned off while the rest of the family can watch in 3D.

This is slick and a good idea.

Any 3D player will work with any 3D set, though if you have an older HDMI AV reciever it may not be capable of passing the 3D signal, in which case you must connect the player directly to the set and run an digital optical cable from the player to the receiver.

This is what I have t do, connect the blu-ray player directly to the TV (for the picture) and to my AVR (for the sound).
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 23 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 02:32 PM

My understanding is that Samsung now offers $20. active glasses that are acvtually compatible with other manufacturer's t.v.'s, namely Panasonic plasmas. Can anyone confirm?

#9 of 23 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,787 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 13 2013 - 02:00 AM

I've got 4 pair of glasses that came with my Samsung. They cost less than $20 last time I looked on Amazon. I don't know if they work with other TVs.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#10 of 23 Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 02:34 AM

As a wearer of spectacles, I managed to source a couple of pairs of reasonably priced (under £5) clip on 3D lenses that work brilliantly with my 42" LG LCD. I compared active and passive systems when I was getting the set and personally found that the passive system (while compromising vertical resolution) was preferable to the active system which was darker and had noticeable flicker.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#11 of 23 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 07:52 AM

My understanding is that Samsung now offers $20. active glasses that are acvtually compatible with other manufacturer's t.v.'s, namely Panasonic plasmas. Can anyone confirm?

They will work with current model Panasonic plasmas. Won't work with Sharp or Sony.
Steve S.

#12 of 23 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 24 2013 - 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Schaffer 

Originally Posted by Dick 

They will work with current model Panasonic plasmas. Won't work with Sharp or Sony.

Current models only?  Not the VT25 Pannys?

#13 of 23 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 06:15 AM

Current models only?  Not the VT25 Pannys?

The $20 Samsung active glasses sync via Bluetooth, the VT25 synch is via IR (Infrared emmitter on lower bezel of tv). First generation flat panel active 3D sets all used infrared synch and the glasses were brand specific, though some 3d party mfg. glasses could be made to work with any set. For the 2012 model year tv mfgs. tried to standardize so that everyone's glasses would work with everyone's tvs. They all went from IR synch to Bluetooth but there are still some exceptions--most notably Sony sets won't work with anyone else's glasses, and Sharp sets won't work with Samsung's $20 non-rechargeables. If you need glasses for a VT25 make sure they're IR synch and specced to work with a first generation Panasonic set.
Steve S.

#14 of 23 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 24 2013 - 06:23 AM

Damn.   Posted Image

#15 of 23 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 12 2013 - 04:05 AM

I just recently bought a 50" Panny plasma and 3 pairs of Panny 3D glasses. Wanted rechargeables, so the Samsung glasses, though inexpensive, weren't an option. Still tweaking, but Wreck-It Ralph looks amazing.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#16 of 23 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 09:07 AM

I bought four pairs of generic actives from a company called TekSpree for $40.00 a pair, to be used specifically with a Panny 55" UT50 (their various glasses match most brands and models). At firest, a few movies revealed more ghosting than others, but purely by accident I found that the same switch that turns the glasses on also has a second option between on and off that changes the glasses to right-lens-first from left-lens-first. Apparently some films sync better if the right shutter is first to open. This solved many problems on such films as GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS and ICE AGE. It also helped, but did not make great, the DIAL "M" disc. But, if you have these same glasses, you will find they make 95% of your movies look just right one way or the other.

#17 of 23 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 12 2013 - 10:05 AM

I looked at buying 3rd party glasses, but I found the Panny glasses for $72 locally. If you factor in shipping, duties and convenience, I only paid marginally more, and the Panny glasses are really good.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#18 of 23 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:14 PM

Anyone have any good ideas for the Mitsubishi DLPs? I've found a place online but of 2 pairs I bought only one worked longer than a week.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#19 of 23 fxrh

fxrh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:40 PM

Anyone have any good ideas for the Mitsubishi DLPs? I've found a place online but of 2 pairs I bought only one worked longer than a week.

I use the Optoma ZD101 DLP Link glasses, and from what I see on various boards/threads, these are still generally considered to be the best for DLP sets. I've been very happy with the 3D quality (I have about 60 3D Blu-rays). However, they are still fairly expensive (although eBay will occasionally have a decent deal) and have arms that do not fold and tend to break off; I've simply reattached them with black electrical tape. Some people find these glasses rather uncomfortable as well; they work much better with big heads like mine. A friend of mine brings over his UltraClears, and they work, but I've tried them out and prefer the Optomas -- they yield a more natural-looking picture.

#20 of 23 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yeah I maybe should give the DLP Link style a try, I have the IR Transmitter box for the tv and all my glasses work off that rather than the DLP link so i actually have that turned off in the tv, wonder if that will affect the image turning it on...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users