Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Home Theater Project. Need Some Guidance!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Dremmer

Dremmer

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hey folks, So I'm finishing my basement, and have about a 12'x17'x9' space I've been considering turning into a movie room. Plan is something like a 6' couch, and two recliners behind it on a raised platform. What I'm interested in is thoughts on speaker selection (size, power, etc..) and placement, so as each seating location has an equally good sound quality. I still have to frame the walls, so I'm a little flexible on dimensions so as to improve acoustics. That is the largest I can go though. If anyone can chime in and point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,206 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 10 2013 - 08:32 AM

Budget? In-wall speakers? IB sub?

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Dremmer

Dremmer

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 09:12 AM

As far as a budget, let's say around $2000 for sound system, though my goal is to get the price as low as I can, without sacrificing too much in sound quality. I'm planning on in-wall speakers, which is why I'm holding off on framing until I'm sure of the dimensions I need. I'm not sure what Infinite Baffle subs are yet, so I can't say either way on that one yet. Though I'll be doing some research on those right now!

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,206 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 09:34 AM

$2000 is doable. Price breakdown... $500-ish on the AVR(which one depends on what you need/want it to have/do) $700 if you go IB(driver/s should be $100/piece. Amp roughly $200-$400. Cabinet makes up the rest) $500 if you buy a normal sub. Remainder on your 5.0/7.0...or if you intend to do height/width.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Dremmer

Dremmer

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thanks, How about speaker placement? How do I go about figuring where the optimal speaker locations are, so as to provide the best compromise of good sound quality to each of the seats. Here's a quick sketch of the room. I'd like to make up for the lack of space, by making it as comfortable as possible, and getting the best sound quality I can.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,206 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:32 AM

Dolby has guidelines for 5.1, 7.1 and height. Audyssey has guidelines for height and width. THX has guidelines. DTS has guidelines. Pick the one you want to follow the closest/fits where you have to put the speakers.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Dremmer

Dremmer

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 01:01 PM

I've decided to go with a DTS 7.1 setup. Here's a rough sketch of the speaker layout. Now how about the room dimensions? Will shortening either wall a foot or two have that big an impact on the acoustics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users