What's new

SCREWY DVD TV AUDIO PROBLEM- HELP NEEDED! (1 Viewer)

darticus

Auditioning
Real Name
ron
When viewing a TV show on the sharp 80 inch Aquos TV all is good through the TV and theater YAMAHA HTR-5890 system. I connected a DVD player into the TV and Theater system and voices became out of sync when the DVD is playing. A wire goes from the DVD player to the TV (hdmi cable) and an optical cable from the DVD to the theater unit. The theater unit in set on DVD. The TV audio is in sync but the theater system is out of sync. I tried to adjust but the only thing that is working is playing the TV audio louder than the theater and the theater acts like a low echo but allows the TV to seem in sync. Any thoughts on how to get this in sync???? Thanks Ron

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
From what I gather, there are known audio sync issues when using HDMI AND some method of Digital Audio. I experience the same problem with both my Blu-Ray player and my Cable Box. Hearing the sound via HDMI through my TV is fine. Listening through my recieiver via Optical or Coax isn't always correct. My TV (Vizio 55 LED) has a setting (AUDIO SYNC) which helps. Unfortunately, it is very basic (change from 0 to +5) I don't know if this represents milliseconds or is an arbitrary number. In some cases, I am able to get picture and audio in sync. In other cases, I wish it went past +5, and in otther cases I wish it went to -5. I also understand that certain Receivers also have a SYNC setting. If you have access to either of these settings, you may be able to lessen the problem. David

darticus

Auditioning
Real Name
ron
The TV is in sync. The Receiver audio is early and ends before their mouths stops moving. This is a digix BD-520/BD-500 PLAYER. Thanks Ron
schan1269 said:
Which audio is ahead? TV or AVR?

darticus

Auditioning
Real Name
ron
I think we got it. I found a setting in the receiver called audio delay use to sync a pic on TV. Settings 0-256. Works great on 140. Hope I DON'T HAVE TO SET EVERY MOVIE. Thanks Ron

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Here's how I understand this... TVs these days (particularly LCD TVs with frame insertion) have so much processing going on that the audio and video can get out of sync. With modern HDMI-capable AV receivers, if you connect to the AVR then run the HDMI to the TV, the TV and receiver will account for this and the receiver will delay the audio as required (assuming auto lip sync is selected). When you connect the player directly to the TV via HDMI and the audio goes via a separate route to the receiver, things get out of sync. Manually setting the delay should work and it should, in theory, be the same when using the player for all discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks