What's new

Top Gun in iMax 3D? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So, anyone seen this? I'm trying to decode f it's with my time. 3D aside, I'm worried this will be a very dated movie. If I recall correctly this movie was released in a more peaceful time when the movie makers had to drum up a contrived military conflict to provide some wartime action. I do miss those times.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It was the Cold War. Only rose tinted nostalgia could conclude that was a peaceful time. Our fighter pilots aren't doing much more now than they did then.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
How many US soldiers were dieing back then? How many US civilians? How many targets were our pilots destoying? But this isn't what I wanted this thread to become. I'm just looking for opinions of this release.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from seeing it. Very well done. The film looked about as much as an 80's film as a 3D movie could be. Good job on the conversion, no cardboard cut-out actors placed at different depths. They also weren't affraid to put objects in front of the screen.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, the 3D definitely didn't make it a worse movie. As to the movie, I've seen it probably around 20 times in my life, so to me it's a classic. Most of the movie takes place at an advanced training facility.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Johnny Angell said:
So, anyone seen this? I'm trying to decode f it's with my time. 3D aside, I'm worried this will be a very dated movie. If I recall correctly this movie was released in a more peaceful time when the movie makers had to drum up a contrived military conflict to provide some wartime action. I do miss those times.
Perhaps the filmmakers didn't want the plot tied to a real life conflict that would instantly date the film?

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Saw this in IMAX 3D today. There were lots of film grain evident throughout. Not sure if I remember seeing that originally back in 1986 or it was just a poor film transfer blown up to IMAX proportions. 3D was non-existent. Sound was amazing though. As for the film itself, still love it. I don't think there's ever been a film with astounding aerial photography shot with real jets. It still looks amazing and it's not CGI! Kids nowadays are spoiled with fake cgi crap they need to see this just for the dogfights. And yeah, Kelly McGillis looked as hot as I remember. And Meg Ryan too when she was still cute.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez
Saw this in IMAX 3D today. There were lots of film grain evident throughout. Not sure if I remember seeing that originally back in 1986 or it was just a poor film transfer blown up to IMAX proportions. 3D was non-existent. Sound was amazing though.
As for the film itself, still love it. I don't think there's ever been a film with astounding aerial photography shot with real jets. It still looks amazing and it's not CGI! Kids nowadays are spoiled with fake cgi crap they need to see this just for the dogfights.
And yeah, Kelly McGillis looked as hot as I remember. And Meg Ryan too when she was still cute.
I suspect it's always been a grainy film. The last DVD was grainy but the BD went DNR-heavy to eliminate it. I suspect the DVD was a more accurate representation of the original grain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks