Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Position of speakers and choice of surrounds

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   ZapoTeX

ZapoTeX

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hi All! I just got a 55" TV and I'm now planning the audio part. I collected your wise advices in this thread. Current status is: Receiver: Onkyo 809 (or comparable model I find on craigslist) Front speakers: Infinity Primus 363 towers Subwoofer: a ported enclosure SVS, exact model TBD Here are the questions: 1) From the TV to the back wall of the room I have about 10 feet. Based on Dolby and THX websites, the best distance for my screen size is 6 to 8 feet, which leaves 2 to 4 feet from the back wall. I'm planning to put my surrounds right against the back wall. Too far from the 110° angle?Do reflections against the back wall degrade the sound quality? Or contribute to the surround effect? Would bipoles be better than another pair of primus? 2) The angles from the seating position to the front speakers is supposed to be 22° to 30° according to dolby.com and 45° according to THX. That's a fairly huge difference. Dolby would have my speakers 8 feet apart from each other, THX 16! Any comment on the difference? 3) The subwoofer can be pretty much anywhere excluding corners, right? What if the opposing wall has a large glass window? Otherwise, is it possible to put it close to the TV or better not to? (maybe vibrations damage the screen over the long run, etc...). Other option is right behind my armchair... Would that work? Thanks everyone!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,239 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 09 2013 - 07:49 PM

1. To di/bi-pole or not is a personal choice. If your read the SVS Ultra thread you'll see I'm demoing their 5.0 set...which includes the duet. On Guero I basically called the "speaker set 'Aural Sex'". I will still never buy di/bi-pole cause I base my theaters on SACD/DVD-A, not Dolby or THX. Guidelines are best served for a "purpose built theater". 2. If you can't follow 30 or 45 degrees...don't worry about it and just be "as close a possible". Making audio "fit the room" means something has to give. 3. The subwoofer should go where it sounds best. If you can't put it right where it "needs to go"...Behringer BFD or AntiMode 8033(and there are others) if the AVR can't fix where you put it.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   ZapoTeX

ZapoTeX

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for the reply! 1) Will study the specs of DVD-A and SACD! Thanks 2) The Dolby range (22 to 30) I can totally do. The THX range (45) would require me to put a speaker in the middle of a door, then I guess I'll stick to Dolby 3) I'll put the subwoofer on the left side of the TV, I have some room. I was just wondering whether it is a good idea to put it close to the TV (maybe the vibrations from the sub will damage the TV's panel?) Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users