Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 2-12-2013

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 of 43 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,612 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 12 2013 - 07:14 AM

Is the BB "upgrade and save" deal still on, or done with for now? I got distracted and forgot to get back there. No biggie either way.

#22 of 43 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,890 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 12 2013 - 07:17 AM

It ended on February 2nd. But I expect another round in a few months, so April/May.

#23 of 43 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,201 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 12 2013 - 03:52 PM

Skyfall was $18.99 at my local Costco (MD).
Despite being listed on the shelf and on the website as $24.96, at Walmart the Skyfall Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack was listed in the local ad and rang up as $18.96.

#24 of 43 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,909 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 13 2013 - 06:26 AM

Despite being listed on the shelf and on the website as $24.96, at Walmart the Skyfall Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack was listed in the local ad and rang up as $18.96.
Same here at my non-competitive Walmart. I've noticed a couple of "stealth" sales on blu-rays recently. I believe "Men in Black 3" rang up at $17.96 even though the shelf tags said something like $22.96 or $24.96. I usually check them on one of the in-store price scanners now, to see what the "real" price is. Though for "Skyfall," the big display near the front door did show the combo set for $18.96 (oddly, the blu-ray only was priced at $19.96), while the shelf tags in the Electronics area listed it at $24.96.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#25 of 43 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,639 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 13 2013 - 02:28 PM

I put up the review for The Sessions earlier this evening. It can be found here.

Skyfall came in late this afternoon, so I hope to have that review up tomorrow evening.

#26 of 43 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,473 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 13 2013 - 02:34 PM

There's now a link in the OP, Matt. Looking forward to your insight on Skyfall.  I bet it'sgonna be a good one! 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#27 of 43 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,735 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted February 14 2013 - 03:27 AM

Is the BB "upgrade and save"deal still on, or done with for now? I got distracted and forgot to get back there. No biggie either way.
I was waiting for the next BB "upgrade and save" deal when many 3D titles were $14.99 and $19.99. When BB finally started it a few weeks ago, those same titles were now $29.99 and $34.99.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#28 of 43 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,612 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 14 2013 - 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by RolandL 
Originally Posted by Chas in CT  Is the BB "upgrade and save"deal still on, or done with for now? I got distracted and forgot to get back there. No biggie either way.
I was waiting for the next BB "upgrade and save" deal when many 3D titles were $14.99 and $19.99. When BB finally started it a few weeks ago, those same titles were now $29.99 and $34.99.
My store had one rack of 3D titles on sale for $19.99 at the very beginning of the last deal -- and that's exactly where I spent three of those coupons.

#29 of 43 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,265 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted February 14 2013 - 06:18 AM

That's how I got Prometheus for $14 :)
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#30 of 43 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,473 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 14 2013 - 02:28 PM

A couple of weeks ago, TonyD reported that during BB"s Upgrade & Save sale that BB had Beasts of the Southern Wild on sale for $15.99.  I immediately went to my local BB and found that they had none in stock.  They also had little of anything else.

Tonight, I was back and decided to take some pictures of my local BB's sale shelves:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does this look like your BB?

Hah, store that would never send me your "Preferred Customer" coupons!  Payback time, baby! 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#31 of 43 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,639 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 14 2013 - 02:49 PM

Good lord! Those are some bare shelves. Either Blu-ray is the most popular format in the history of home video or someone isn't stocking their shelves.

BTW, the Skyfall review can be found here.

#32 of 43 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 14 2013 - 03:14 PM

my store after or near the end of trade and save looks like that.
facebook.com/whotony

#33 of 43 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,473 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 14 2013 - 03:43 PM

That's ALL THE TIME at my store.  Maybe Adam Lenhardt or Ric Easton will pop in here and back me up!

BTW, the couple of times I've been back since I had gone looking for Beasts of the Southern Wild they have NOT been in stock.

That particular display is in the last picture.  The $15.99 titles are on the second-from-the-bottom shelf.

Posted Image

#34 of 43 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,612 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 14 2013 - 03:45 PM

My store looks almost that bad at times, but I've never had reason to associate it with Upgrade and Save.  It's too frequent for that.  I just take it to mean the outside company doing the stocking is completely asleep at the switch.  At some point the racks fill up halfway decently (not great, but halfway decently), and the cycle begins anew.  And these cycles seem to have gotten longer and longer over the past year or so.

#35 of 43 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,473 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 14 2013 - 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

BTW, the Skyfall review can be found here.

Right after I put the link in the OP, I am looking forward to reading your words!

Off I go!

#36 of 43 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,473 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 14 2013 - 04:18 PM

Ooooooh!  4.5s and 5s across the board. I really liked this film.  Too bad it didn't get a BP nomination. It was a jillion times better than Beasts of the Southern Wild.

#37 of 43 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,639 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 15 2013 - 12:16 AM

Ooooooh!  4.5s and 5s across the board.  :tu: I really liked this film.  Too bad it didn't get a BP nomination. It was a jillion times better than Beasts of the Southern Wild.
Well, at least the British recognized the quality of its own produced film. It won the BAFTA last Sunday as the Best British-produced film of the year. (Argo won Best Picture.)

#38 of 43 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,201 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 16 2013 - 08:25 AM

That's ALL THE TIME at my store.  Maybe Adam Lenhardt or Ric Easton will pop in here and back me up!
Yeah, it's definitely been slim pickin's for a while now. If I want a new release, I almost always buy it online for in-store pickup now, because I don't trust them to have it in stock by the time I get out of work.

#39 of 43 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,060 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 18 2013 - 03:30 AM

My visits to BB are few and far between these days, but last time I was there, the movie shelves were pretty well stocked. I think it was right before Hanukkah, since the last thing I recall buying there was a uDraw for my kid. Great peripheral for the $10 it currently goes for, BTW. :) Too bad there are only a couple of games for it.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#40 of 43 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,451 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted February 19 2013 - 04:06 AM

Mike, if I were you I'd call Best Buy corporate customer service and let them know that your local store isn't being properly stocked. After the "Jaws" fiasco, the "white shirts" were put on notice. You may also want to ask to speak with the store GM and tell him that you are rather disappointed with the stores recent lack of movie inventory. That should give the third party a good swift kick in the pants, and possibly earn you a gift card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users