What's new

Need help with new setup for living room (1 Viewer)

dnas420

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Been racking my brain trying to build a solid setup for around 1000. Lets start with the room and setup: 300-400 sqft room with brick fireplace and tile floors, vaulted ceiling, and 2 windows. 73" Mitsubishi DLP with no room for anything but bookshelf speaker systems in room. Items i have considered so far but open to suggestions: Recievers: Yamaha RX-V573 $349 Denon AVR-1713 $449 Speakers: Polk tl250 with free sub psw111 $499 Energy Take Classic 5.1 $399 Im also doing 14 gauge wire and banana plugs. Please advise on things maybe im not considering or dont know about. thank you for your feedback in advance.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I can't add much other than make sure you realize how big your bookshelf speakers are before you buy them.. I just bought 5 and they are a lot bigger than I was expecting.. but it does give me even higher hopes for my system. :D

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Another thing to consider is how and where you will mount the speakers. This will determine if you need front ported or sealed speakers, or if you can use rear ported. If the speakers will be too close to the wall behind them, you will need front ported or sealed speakers. I just bought the Infinity Primus speakers and they are very nice speakers.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Jim Mcc said:
Another thing to consider is how and where you will mount the speakers. This will determine if you need front ported or sealed speakers, or if you can use rear ported. If the speakers will be too close to the wall behind them, you will need front ported or sealed speakers. I just bought the Infinity Primus speakers and they are very nice speakers.
Which ones did you get? I bought a combo of 163's and 162's and the 163's are not wall mountable. I've only received one of them so far, the rest will be here tomorrow. How do they sound?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
They sound great. I have 3 P163's for the fronts, and P143's for the surrounds. My fronts sit on a 1X12 shelf, and the surrounds are wall mounted.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Cool did you notice any sound difference after a break in period? Do you have a sub in the mix?

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
How's the sub? You plan on upgrading? I have been using a LG soundbar with a woofer that did decent in our room at first but of course the sound that we thought was so great at first has kind of worn on us and it was definitely time to upgrade. I like to feel it though lol..

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ryan West said:
How's the sub? You plan on upgrading? I have been using a LG soundbar with a woofer that did decent in our room at first but of course the sound that we thought was so great at first has kind of worn on us and it was definitely time to upgrade. I like to feel it though lol..
It's a cheap sub, but it sounds OK. Again, this is just our family room/TV setup. Downstairs is where our theater is, and we have a BIC F-12 sub. That is a very nice sub.

dnas420

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
ordered the avr-1913 and the polk tl120's in the end with some monster cable and some stands for $1160. they should be here by friday, ill keep everyone up to date on my results.

dnas420

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Well i needed a speaker shelf for my dlp for the new speakers i got and had to decide between a custom wood shelf or some premade bracket and decided to go with Center Stage Brackets and i took off the default brackets and went and got a 6" L bracket from lowes and borrowed a portable drill press and drilled out the holes needed and painted them black to match. Tell me what you think!
28831f51_20130221_205144.jpeg
98737e30_20130221_205257.jpeg
418b27b6_20130221_205321.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks