-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Least expensive 720p 3D Ready ultra short throw?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 JOHNnNM

JOHNnNM

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 07:33 AM

I have a new theater and my old transplanted GT700 seems to have a failing light engine after the several hundred mile move. I am looking at the least expensive replacements. I have no real brand loyalty here. I would like to stick with new.... Factory refurb would be OK, needs to include a remote though. Thanks in advance Need to throw 100" 16:9 / 16:10 from around 4'6" or so screen to projector. Less would be OK though. Needs to work a 3DXL 3D Converter box for 120hz 3D.... at 720P or better projector with native widescreen aspect ratio. Like 720p or WXGA.... Single chip DLP with a slow color wheel speed would be fine for me.

#2 of 9 JOHNnNM

JOHNnNM

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:23 AM

So I found some factory refurb GT750E's on a screaming deal. I went to Projector Calculator and it won't let me go any closer to the screen than 5'???? Strange, other short throw projects allow me to go as close as I want to the screen with projector calculator? I want 4' 6"-ish or heck maybe even closer. I think I am going to post the question of why this may be with Projector Calc in a new thread. Still be nice to get suggestions on shoprt throw 3D and/or 3D ready projectors at the lowest possible price points though in this thread.

#3 of 9 Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 810 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:51 AM

I can recommend the BenQ W1080ST for the new/1080p crowd. What sort of budget do you want to constrain this to?

#4 of 9 JOHNnNM

JOHNnNM

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:11 AM

I'd love 1080p....... But, I now live in the deep wilderness and really have no money. If I found a fitting product for under $300, that did 3D Ready. I'd be all over it, even if it was not Short throw, then I could buy a new screen too. Current screen is a freebie pull down included with my 1st HD projector many, many moons ago. :) The refurb GT750E is $500-ish, But I could then sell my 3DXL and recoup some cash on the change. This would give me the choice of buying a new screen or not. I like choices where spenind money or not are concerned. I may consider a 1080p product but I think $800 would be the most I could go period and that is way stretching it. But I was and am perfectly happy with my GT700 less the light engine issue which gets worse and worse every time I use it. I think within the next 2 weeks it will become unacceptable for me. I do a lot of 3D these days, as much as gets BD 3D released anyways, Any 1080p DLP 3D or 3D ready projo's out there at $799? Even looking at refurbs, I don't think so. :(

#5 of 9 JOHNnNM

JOHNnNM

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:13 AM

I tried to reply? A message stated my post was being held to be approved by a moderator because I was new? Hmmm

#6 of 9 JOHNnNM

JOHNnNM

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:19 AM

I'll try agian..... $800 for a 1080p would be the absolute max, even without the short throw.... The furb'd GT750E is $500-ish. But because it has full 3D Bluray supporyt I can sell my 3DXL and that gives me the choice of replacing the screen or not replacing it and I like choices. I was hoping for under $300 for a 720p / WXGA 3D ready projector as then I could get a new screen if I deem it is needed. Thanks for the reply.

#7 of 9 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted February 08 2013 - 10:15 AM

The GT750E will only give you an 88" diagonal screen max. with a 4.5' throw. If you want it larger, you need to move projector back. Regarding your other question above in post #2, the GT750E probably cannot focus any closer than 5'. Just like a camera, if you get too close, it cannot focus clearly.

#8 of 9 JOHNnNM

JOHNnNM

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:28 AM

88" is pretty good for my tight space. The replacement screen I am looking at is a 92" 16:9 I'm still leaning towards the GT750E. Waiting on tax return at this point. Getting itchy on it as the retailer seems to be droping the price at regular intervals. I suppose the best price timming would be right before they run out. I want a new 3D ready AVR too. Kicking myself for missing the recent woot Onkyo deal. Pretty budget theater looking at what I came from. But it is cozy and fits the remote nature of our location.

#9 of 9 JOHNnNM

JOHNnNM

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 05:55 AM

Just to give this thread some closure.... I receiverd the GT750 and man did they make some great improvements to the 2D performance over the GT700 I used previously. Even my Laserdiscs look good on it. :) Gotto love the 3D on these things.... Rock solid with my DLP Link glasses. I have not tried my RF glasses on it yet. Pretty happy, I sold my 3DXL in a day..... So today ordered a new 92" 16:9 Focupix screen. I can't fit a 100" into the space. I just have to score a screaming deal on a 3D capable receiver. I missed out on a few woot / deals of the day, so I will be patient on it. My older non HDMI 7.1 receiever is hanging in there just fine for now. I really want scaling on the AVR, I know more and more displays are not providing legacy analog video input needed mainly for my laserdisc collection. Thanks for the input on my choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users