What's new

Pioneer SP-PK52FS with sc-1222-k overkill?? (1 Viewer)

johnscare84

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Hi I am new to the home theater world, after using logitech speakers for movies my whole life I decide that its time for an upgrade. So i am buying the SP-PK52FS system and wanted to know if it was worth it to spend the extra money for the sc-1222-k receiver for only a budget speaker system?If I spend less money and get say the pioneer vsx-1022-k or even less money and get the vsx-522k would I really notice that big of a difference in sound quality over the sc-1222k? Money is not really a factor, I just don't want to spend extra money unless it will make a noticeable difference in sound quality. I also really wanted to stay with all pioneer products, and I will only be using the system for blu ray movies only

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi, John, welcome to HTF! Just looking at the reviews and a couple of googles, the speaker system is well-reviewed but only 5.1. The 1222-k and 1022-k receivers are 7.1. The 522k is 5.1. The answer as to which one is better for your needs is if you want to future-proof your investment and allow for later expansion of 2 speakers to get 7.1 sound. Note that you can run a 7.1 receiver with 5.1 speakers, you just don't set up the surround back speakers. I'm sure others will chime in with opinions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the only "source" is BD(do you even care about 3D?)... I wouldn't even buy a new HDMI AVR. I'd buy a 2008/2009 AVR from just before 3D. I know "cash isn't a problem"...but for "just BD"...the 1222 is a waste of money. Look for Pioneer 1019(on my phone so my "search" is limited) 819 etc. I think, back then, pioneer used 5, 8, 10 for their AVR then 18(the oldest I'd go), 19 and 20 denote the year. That is just my personal opinion. A 1019 sells on Fleabay for $150 and less. For you, there is nothing a 1019 isn't going to do for you that you'd need the newer 1022/1122/1222 for.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, there is one 1019 on Fleabay. I'm on a Crackberry and RIM has decided to force us "2 generations old" phone users into lousy web surfing(in an attempt to make us upgrade...I'm jumping ship)... Anyway, the one I found is $99 with 2 bids and(I think) 4 days to go. I don't know what "today's" Amazon price is on the 1022...but(including shipping) I wouldn't spend more than 60% of that on a 1019. Although(and again I "can't look") this 1019 looks complete, even with the original box. I'd buy the 1019, provided it stays cheap enough.

johnscare84

Auditioning
Real Name
john
what about the sc-1222-k and its class d3 amplification is their a difference in sound quality vs an older receiver? yes i have a 1080p plasma and a blu-ray player both have no 3d. I basically want a receiver that will give me the best sound quality with these speakers. I have no experience with this so I don't know if I spend $549 on a receiver will that give me better sound quality than a receiver that costs $249. also what about the vsx-522k because I am not going to upgrade to a 7.1 system so will this model work well with the SP-PK52FS ?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The quality of the speakers has much more impact on how things sound than the quality of the receiver. That's why it's best to spend more on the speakers and less on the receiver. Good speakers will sound good even with a modest receiver powering them, whereas cheap speakers will still sound cheap even if you put $2k worth of receiver behind them. Besides, spend the big bucks on something that will last. Speakers can last decades. A modern AVR is obsolete in 5 years (at most).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would buy the 522, or 521, or 520...given your goal. The "normal" ratio is... Your speakers=everything else combined. Why? If you buy your speakers right, you'll have them for the next 15-45 years.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think the Class D amplification is going to get you better sound quality. I had an Elite SC-27 and an Elite VSX-23 and while the amp in the 27 was stronger it didn't sound any better. The 1022 is a very nice receiver for $249, the 1122 offers a whole lot more for $399 and the 1222 really only offers the Class D amp. The only reason I'd buy it is if you need the extra power to drive those fairly in-effecient speakers to very loud levels. Both the 1022 @ $249 and the 1122 @ $399 (Newegg.com) are pretty decent values but the 1122 really offers a lot more for the $150. particularly the Advanced MCACC. That is where the better sound quality would come from the receiver. Here are the Product Sheets for the 1122 and 1222. Items in bold are upgrades over the 1022 and 1122. As you can see, lots of bold for the 1122, not so much for the 1222. 1122 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/VSX-1122-K%20New%20Single%20Sheet.pdf 1222 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/SC-1222-K%20New%20Single%20Sheet.pdf I also like Sams idea about used receivers but most others are gun-shy. The Harman Kardon 3600 is $399 as a factory refurb on H/K's Ebay store. Comes with a two year warranty. That would be another good option.

johnscare84

Auditioning
Real Name
john
what about the denon avr 1713 or the 1913? comparing them with the pioneer are they more easy to setup since they have Audyssey MultEQ XT ?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
They're about the same. Audyssey MultEQ XT uses multiple mic positions while Advanced MCACC uses 6 seperate eq's. The scuttlebutt is MultEQ XT is better than MCACC but I like Pioneer's because of the 6 seperate eq's. Each one can also remember individual speaker volume levels so you can set one up for late night viewing, one for action movies, one for two channel music, etc. I have much more experience with Pioneer receivers and have always found Denon's to be more difficult to setup and operate, but that might be my problem and not Denon's. But there is an entire website dedicated to ease the confusion with Denon receivers and they're (awful) manuals. http://batpigworld.com/wp/

johnscare84

Auditioning
Real Name
john
just got the SP-PK52FS set for only $433 at tigerdirect, still trying to figure out what receiver to pair it with...:confused:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm suggesting the lower end cause you only have 1 source. You are not going to notice any difference between a "rated at" 80wpc AVR or 120wpc. I'll take that back...a bit. If this is an enormous room and you plan on playing this... http://www.amazon.com/Hungarian-Rhapsody-Queen-Budapest-Blu-ray/dp/B009DH379C/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1360344210&sr=1-5&keywords=concert For 10-15 people at 100db... You might as well pick up this... http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver/mrx-700 And even that might not get you to 100db for 15 people in a big room.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm basing my recomendations on "money is not really a factor' (but value is a factor) and your request for "sound quality". Not from the amp section but from the features and processing sections. If better sound quality is what you're looking for then choose a receiver with the better version of it's room correction/eq like the Advanced version of MCACC and Audyssey MultEQ XT vs. 2EQ. Also look for features that might improve sound quality like Dialog Enchancement, independant Bass/Treble controls for all speaker groups, 32 bit DSP processing, etc. With your requirements I'd look for a receiver in the $400 and up range. You might also think about selling the Pioneer subwoofer and getting something better. That one only goes down to 38 hz. The BIC F-12 is very popular for about $200 shipped. That Pioneer should get you $75-$100.

Angelo horn

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris fuentes
Just curious if you ever found an avr to power your pioneer speakers? I work around these speakers quite a bit and the biggest mistake most people make with this particular speaker system is going cheap and under powering them. For a budget speaker they are a little power hungry at 6ohms and have a lower db rating than most speakers you will find in a brick and mortar store. I bought these speakers for my dad for fathers day last year and he made the same mistake going cheap and buying a denon 1613 to power them. He was very unhappy with the sound and wanted to scrap the whole thing for a soundbar. I brought the speakers and my dad over to my house and hooked them up to my system. I have a pioneer elite vsx-01txh as my pre amp and an emotiva xpa-5 as my power amp. My dad was amazed at how differrent the sound was and how the sound stage opened up. Needless to say he purchased a pre/pro set up for himself and couldn't be happier with his speakers. So i say since you are getting an amazing set of speakers at value price, spend the extra money to provide the best clean power you can get to them. You will be happier with the results.

DaleAV

Agent
Nice setup.. I gravitated from an Onkyo receiver to an Emotiva UMC-200 to pair up with my XPA-5. Excellent intgeration. I have to admit Emo has has had some rough spots with regards to service and upgrades. They are improving in that regard, but the SQ has never been in question.

hyghwayman

Agent
Real Name
Donnie
Just my
two cents.jpg

I would recommend the SC1222 or SC1522 for those Pioneer speakers, with either of those you'll have good power to drive them speakers, advance MCACC, plenty of connection options for future use and best of all a really good receiver. Don't settle for an entry level receiver, low power, basic calibration and less.....

Best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks