Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Grifters -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,776 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:28 AM

Stephen Frears' first production in the Colonies, The Grifters (1990), arrives on Blu-ray here (it's been out in the UK for a while) from Echo Bridge's Miramax collection, in decent form. Derived from an IP, this bright, sunlit, anti-noir noir, has nicely rendered textures for a Blu-ray, while not being perfect.  While I've complained about some of the Olive releases for needed a bit of digital cleaning, The Grifters, could use at least a bit.  Occasional emulsions scratches could have easily been cleaned up to achieve a more cohesive image.  Emulsion scratches do not count towards a cinema-like look. I love the characters in this film, and the way that they're played with precision.  Stephen Tobolowsky and Henry Jones are stand-outs in the supporting cast. A very nice film, and a decent Blu-ray. Image - 3.5 Audio - 4 (2.0 stereo, presumably Dolby encoded and the basis of the SVA track) RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,678 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:42 AM

Stephen Tobolowsky...
That guy is one of my all time favorite character actors. So many great scene stealing roles in Seinfeld, Memento, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, etc.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:51 AM

That guy is one of my all time favorite character actors. So many great scene stealing roles in Seinfeld, Memento, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, etc.
For the Tobolowsky fans in the NYC area, the actor / writer will be in the house, literally, next week at 92Y Tribeca for a screening of GROUNDHOG DAY.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 06 2013 - 12:06 PM

Robert do you own the region locked UK BLU?if so how does it compare?

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,848 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 06 2013 - 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg 

For the Tobolowsky fans in the NYC area, the actor / writer will be in the house, literally, next week at 92Y Tribeca for a screening of GROUNDHOG DAY.

That...would...be...so...cool.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,043 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 06 2013 - 02:08 PM

When I saw The Grifters in the theater, the projectionist didn't matte it correctly, and I frequently saw the boom mic over the heads of the actors. Talk about taking one out of the realm of the movie. Years later seeing it on video, I felt like I was seeing it for the first time. Terrific movie!

#7 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,776 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MattH.  When I saw The Grifters in the theater, the projectionist didn't matte it correctly, and I frequently saw the boom mic over the heads of the actors. Talk about taking one out of the realm of the movie. Years later seeing it on video, I felt like I was seeing it for the first time. Terrific movie!
MUST be matted 1.85.  Strangely, the main is 1.66.  Wondering if theatrically, some projectionists would do a quick aperture swap after MT? Odd. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 06 2013 - 08:28 PM

Were there any other typographic misadventures beyond the alternate spelling of Mr. "Painter"?
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Trentrunner

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:27 AM

In case the message isn't clear, The Grifters is a fantastic movie, especially if you like noir, neo-noir, superb acting, razor-sharp storytelling, ruthless survivors, sympathetic rubes, and Anjelica Huston as the warmest, most loving mother a boy could hope for.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,881 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 08:59 AM

Anjelica Huston as the warmest, most loving mother a boy could hope for.
Isn't she though?:P I love this film. It was a fixture on HBO back when, and I watched it many times. I can't wait to see it on Blu-Ray.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 07:18 PM

Is the Image Quality significantly better than that of the late '90s DVD? While the BD is very cheap, is it worth replacing the original DVD?

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 08 2013 - 10:48 AM

Amazon finally has this in stock for $4.99.

#13 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,776 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 11:25 AM

Is the Image Quality significantly better than that of the late '90s DVD? While the BD is very cheap, is it worth replacing the original DVD?

I'd save the money, and spend it on something else.  That $5 can be used toward a Blu-ray that hasn't been on DVD.

Not into double, triple dipping.

RAH

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,613 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 04:48 PM

Amazon is finally shipping this to me with my preorder price of $4.99But they are now charging $13.49 for it.I haven't seen this movie since it's laserdisc days.

all-banner.jpg

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted December 18 2013 - 07:50 PM

Finally had an excuse to watch this tonight. Great credits. :)

Img_0516.jpg

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted December 19 2013 - 07:53 AM

Unfortunately, I think RAH's 3.5 score for video is pretty generous. I wouldn't go above 2.5. Detail is fairly decent, but (as he noted) there are a lot of dirt and scratches on the source, and the image is plagued by bad scanner noise and compression problems.

I'm glad I only paid $5 for it, because it looks like a $5 disc. Poor treatment for a great movie.

I'd be curious to find out if the Region B edition from Studio Canal is any better.

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B002BD9DP2

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted March 03 2015 - 03:20 PM

Anyone know anything about this apparently new release of The Grifters?

#18 of 22 ONLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts
  • LocationPallookaville, USA

Posted March 03 2015 - 03:32 PM

Anyone know anything about this apparently new release of The Grifters?

That's the one I have. Pretty sure it is the same as the older one except this time put out through Lionsgate with a digital copy  included.  

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:50 PM

This movie deserves a much better transfer then it has been given in the past, but I'm afraid were in for more of the same.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:14 PM

At $10, I'm tempted to buy, but what's the expert opinion here of the likelihood that this is a different/better transfer than the previous blu-ray release (which I already own)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users