What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Star is Born (1976) -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Frank Pierson's 1976, A Star is Born, a re-make of the 1928 part-talkie, The Artist, comes to us on Blu-ray in digi-book form from Warner Home Video. This is a perfect Blu-ray, of a pleasant film. For Streisand fans, this will be nirvana, as both imagery and the track, which is presented in DTS-HD MA 5.1, are perfect. Black blacks, great color, wonderful shadow detail, film-like grain, and an extremely enveloping track. This is a Blu-ray that could not be any better. Image - 5 Audio - 5 Recommended. RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
And one of the coolest things about this release is that WB left the original Saul Bass WB logo followed by the First Artists logo. I know it is a small thing but when WB seems to be on the rampage of replacing logos I love it when they leave them alone. Thanks WB for this one. The image and sound is good on the release, sure the movie could have been better, but it is what it is, and I enjoyed it. This BLU was the first time Id ever seen the film.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Colin Jacobson said:
Awful, awful movie!
I finally saw it last year. It wasn't nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but I'm certainly in no rush to see it again. I'll stick with the Garland's remake. Still need to see the Janet Gaynor version.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Panavision70
The final song filmed in one unbroken take is FANTASTIC!
I agree, it is great on film. I know I don't know much about Babs myself but I respect her perfectionism and work ethic a great deal. When she sings she gives it her all. I do admire her.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Nothing can ever exceed the 1954 version but this is no reason not to remake the film or not to watch and appreciate a remake. Frankly, I thought it was very good in original release (and since). It fits its time very well. The rock motif absolutely works throughout. Streisand is, as always, terrific, and Christopherson is very underrated in this and other films as well. I am looking forward to the Blu-ray, especially after hearing some good things about the picture and sound.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
A great movie that had one of the best 70mm 6 track magnetic Dolby soundtracks.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by DP 70
A great movie that had one of the best 70mm 6 track magnetic Dolby soundtracks.
Oh please, that soundtrack was barely Dolby. No booms!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Darn, it was on YouTube months ago, and now it's gone: Does anyone know where to find a copy of the 1977 Carol Burnett Show sketch where Burnett and Glen Campbell(?) parody the Streisand/Kristofferson poster? ("Well, how did I know my kid was going to super-glue us together in the shower? Wait, let me get my hand loose--" "Ow, you're pulling on my chest hair!")

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
As in the ones of the "Baby Boom" variety which won't come around til '77.
What was that film that used them...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The link to this topic on the HTF home page has the wrong picture

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I love Streisand but her version of A Star Is Born never bowled me over. It's only a complete train wreck when compared to the Garland/Mason 54' musical - that one as near to perfection as movie musicals get. As a stand alone - if you put your blinders on - its possible to get through the Streisand version and not throw up. Gravol helps. Honestly, though, with all the wildly better musicals in Warner's extensive repertoire - including MIA titles like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Band Wagon, Anchors Aweigh, Silk Stockings, Victor/Victoria and The Student Prince - I should think Streisand's Star would have been way down on the list of must have remasters. Nice to have for die hards - but otherwise wholly unnecessary. Still, I'll give WB top marks for a near perfect transfer.

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Huge Streisand fan here, and I agree with Mr. Harris' technical review: the Blu-ray is pretty stunning. As for the film .... it's from 1976 and it plays like a "time capsule" now. Whereas, the Judy Garland version of "Star" will always be a "Classic Hollywood" movie musical. Streisand's "Star" is not that bad of a movie. I think it has a handful of scenes that maybe, in retrospect, should have been snipped out (the movie runs a bit long). But its Altman-esque overlapping dialogue, the filming of the concert scenes with LIVE sound, and the inside look at the rock and concert business in the 1970s is all pretty cool. Streisand was clobbered by the critics for this movie in 1976 (unfair ... Frank Pierson's out-of-school article really cast a black cloud over the movie) but the fans made this movie a huge hit --- the biggest in her career, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks