What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Personal Best -- DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film. Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes. In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it. As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely. While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely. Image - 5 (DVD quality) Audio - 4.5 A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive. Highly Recommended. RAG

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Robert Harris said:
I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film. Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes.  In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it. As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely.  While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely. Image - 5 (DVD quality) Audio - 4.5 A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive. Highly Recommended. RAG
One of my all-time favorites, Robert. When I saw your post, I momentarily got excited that we would be seeing a Blu-ray. I, of course, bought this when it was first released on DVD by WHV several years ago. I wrote a little about it here.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Robert Harris said:
I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film. Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes.  In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it. As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely.  While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely. Image - 5 (DVD quality) Audio - 4.5 A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive. Highly Recommended. RAG
Does the Archive disc retain the commentary track and trailer that appeared on the initial disc? Finally, it's a minor quibble, but I would have liked to have seen WB reproduce the artwork of Mariel Hemingway as it appeared on the one-sheet. The DVD cover utilizes the same image, but positions it it a manner that's just not as aesthetically pleasing nor does it flatter Ms. Hemingway:
c28f18a7_485281020a.jpeg

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Yeah, Personal Best is a great flick, but Four Friends is DEFINITELY one I want to see in blu. I'm not really convinced by its "evil rich people" subplot, but that is a truly minor glitch in an overall beautiful piece of work. People always think of Penn as the Bonnie & Clyde guy, but there isn't one of his films but it has a unique hook, something arresting that draws you in – and I include the sometimes pretentious Mickey One in that estimation.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I reviewed the previously released pressed disc for the forum here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/268398/htf-dvd-review-personal-best
It sounds like the image and audio are as good as the excellent predecessor. I too was wondering if the trailer or commentary were ported over to the manufactured on demand version. I am also hoping that they fixed the typo on the cover of the original DVD that incorrectly listed Kenny Moore's name as "Kevin" (a blow to Kenneths everywhere - solidarity, brother ).

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
While you have mentioned wishing you had this one (and "Four Friends") on Blu ray, are you as disappointed as I am that Warner Archives has not yet announced followup Blu ray release titles/dates? Or have I somehow missed them?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Ken_McAlinden said:
I reviewed the previously released pressed disc for the forum here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/268398/htf-dvd-review-personal-best It sounds like the image and audio are as good as the excellent predecessor.  I too was wondering if the trailer or commentary were ported over to the manufactured on demand version.  I am also hoping that they fixed the typo on the cover of the original DVD that incorrectly listed Kenny Moore's name as "Kevin" (a blow to Kenneths everywhere - solidarity, brother   ).
Wow, I'm a stickler for correct credits in the billing block and somehow I missed the Kevin / Kenny snafu.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Robert Harris said:
FOUR FRIENDS is an MGM title. WB had it on VHS in the early days.
f7f469e2_027616927460.jpeg

For those interested, WBShop still has the 2008 pressed DVD available for $13.99 + tax and free shipping (cheaper than the MOD Archive disc). I just received my copy.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Sean Greenwood said:
For those interested, WBShop still has the 2008 pressed DVD available for $13.99 + tax and free shipping (cheaper than the MOD Archive disc). I just received my copy.
Good catch, Sean. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks