Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Personal Best -- DVD

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,321 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film.

Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes.  In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it.

As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely.  While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely.

Image - 5 (DVD quality)

Audio - 4.5

A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive.

Highly Recommended.

RAG

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 11 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,457 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:55 AM

I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film. Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes.  In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it. As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely.  While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely. Image - 5 (DVD quality) Audio - 4.5 A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive. Highly Recommended. RAG

One of my all-time favorites, Robert. When I saw your post, I momentarily got excited that we would be seeing a Blu-ray. I, of course, bought this when it was first released on DVD by WHV several years ago. I wrote a little about it here.

#3 of 11 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,457 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film. Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes.  In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it. As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely.  While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely. Image - 5 (DVD quality) Audio - 4.5 A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive. Highly Recommended. RAG

Does the Archive disc retain the commentary track and trailer that appeared on the initial disc? Finally, it's a minor quibble, but I would have liked to have seen WB reproduce the artwork of Mariel Hemingway as it appeared on the one-sheet. The DVD cover utilizes the same image, but positions it it a manner that's just not as aesthetically pleasing nor does it flatter Ms. Hemingway:

#4 of 11 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,094 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 06 2013 - 12:04 PM

I used to own the pressed DVD yrs back, kicking myself for selling it off!

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#5 of 11 theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 286 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted February 07 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, Personal Best is a great flick, but Four Friends is DEFINITELY one I want to see in blu. I'm not really convinced by its "evil rich people" subplot, but that is a truly minor glitch in an overall beautiful piece of work. People always think of Penn as the Bonnie & Clyde guy, but there isn't one of his films but it has a unique hook, something arresting that draws you in – and I include the sometimes pretentious Mickey One in that estimation.

#6 of 11 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:44 AM

I reviewed the previously released pressed disc for the forum here:

http://www.hometheat...w-personal-best

It sounds like the image and audio are as good as the excellent predecessor.  I too was wondering if the trailer or commentary were ported over to the manufactured on demand version.  I am also hoping that they fixed the typo on the cover of the original DVD that incorrectly listed Kenny Moore's name as "Kevin" (a blow to Kenneths everywhere - solidarity, brother Posted Image ).

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#7 of 11 Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 290 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:55 AM

While you have mentioned wishing you had this one (and "Four Friends") on Blu ray, are you as disappointed as I am that Warner Archives has not yet announced followup Blu ray release titles/dates? Or have I somehow missed them?

#8 of 11 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,457 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:14 AM

I reviewed the previously released pressed disc for the forum here: http://www.hometheat...w-personal-best It sounds like the image and audio are as good as the excellent predecessor.  I too was wondering if the trailer or commentary were ported over to the manufactured on demand version.  I am also hoping that they fixed the typo on the cover of the original DVD that incorrectly listed Kenny Moore's name as "Kevin" (a blow to Kenneths everywhere - solidarity, brother Posted Image  ).

Wow, I'm a stickler for correct credits in the billing block and somehow I missed the Kevin / Kenny snafu.

#9 of 11 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,457 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:15 AM

FOUR FRIENDS is an MGM title. WB had it on VHS in the early days.

#10 of 11 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 19 2013 - 10:06 AM

For those interested, WBShop still has the 2008 pressed DVD available for $13.99 + tax and free shipping (cheaper than the MOD Archive disc). I just received my copy.

#11 of 11 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,457 posts

Posted February 20 2013 - 03:17 PM

For those interested, WBShop still has the 2008 pressed DVD available for $13.99 + tax and free shipping (cheaper than the MOD Archive disc). I just received my copy.

Good catch, Sean. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users