• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,512 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film.

Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes.  In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it.

As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely.  While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely.

Image - 5 (DVD quality)

Audio - 4.5

A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive.

Highly Recommended.

RAG

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:55 AM

I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film. Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes.  In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it. As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely.  While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely. Image - 5 (DVD quality) Audio - 4.5 A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive. Highly Recommended. RAG

One of my all-time favorites, Robert. When I saw your post, I momentarily got excited that we would be seeing a Blu-ray. I, of course, bought this when it was first released on DVD by WHV several years ago. I wrote a little about it here.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm a huge fan of Robert Towne's work (The Last Detail, The Parallax View, Chinatown et al), and his first directorial effort is a beautiful film. Personal Best is very much a character piece, taking us inside competitive sports and the relationships between athletes.  In this case, a smartly presented lesbian relationship, with a real ring of truth to it. As a new Warner Archive title, I presumed that it might have been pressed, but it's actually burned (no difference in quality between the two), and even projected on a large screen, the imagery holds up nicely.  While I'd love to have this, and a number of other titles owned by WB on Blu-ray (Four Friends comes to mind), this DVD will do quite nicely. Image - 5 (DVD quality) Audio - 4.5 A beautiful film, and a superb DVD from Warner Archive. Highly Recommended. RAG

Does the Archive disc retain the commentary track and trailer that appeared on the initial disc? Finally, it's a minor quibble, but I would have liked to have seen WB reproduce the artwork of Mariel Hemingway as it appeared on the one-sheet. The DVD cover utilizes the same image, but positions it it a manner that's just not as aesthetically pleasing nor does it flatter Ms. Hemingway:

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,225 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 06 2013 - 12:04 PM

I used to own the pressed DVD yrs back, kicking myself for selling it off!

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 312 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted February 07 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, Personal Best is a great flick, but Four Friends is DEFINITELY one I want to see in blu. I'm not really convinced by its "evil rich people" subplot, but that is a truly minor glitch in an overall beautiful piece of work. People always think of Penn as the Bonnie & Clyde guy, but there isn't one of his films but it has a unique hook, something arresting that draws you in – and I include the sometimes pretentious Mickey One in that estimation.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:44 AM

I reviewed the previously released pressed disc for the forum here:

http://www.hometheat...w-personal-best

It sounds like the image and audio are as good as the excellent predecessor.  I too was wondering if the trailer or commentary were ported over to the manufactured on demand version.  I am also hoping that they fixed the typo on the cover of the original DVD that incorrectly listed Kenny Moore's name as "Kevin" (a blow to Kenneths everywhere - solidarity, brother Posted Image ).

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 314 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:55 AM

While you have mentioned wishing you had this one (and "Four Friends") on Blu ray, are you as disappointed as I am that Warner Archives has not yet announced followup Blu ray release titles/dates? Or have I somehow missed them?

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:14 AM

I reviewed the previously released pressed disc for the forum here: http://www.hometheat...w-personal-best It sounds like the image and audio are as good as the excellent predecessor.  I too was wondering if the trailer or commentary were ported over to the manufactured on demand version.  I am also hoping that they fixed the typo on the cover of the original DVD that incorrectly listed Kenny Moore's name as "Kevin" (a blow to Kenneths everywhere - solidarity, brother Posted Image  ).

Wow, I'm a stickler for correct credits in the billing block and somehow I missed the Kevin / Kenny snafu.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:15 AM

FOUR FRIENDS is an MGM title. WB had it on VHS in the early days.

#10 of 11 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 19 2013 - 10:06 AM

For those interested, WBShop still has the 2008 pressed DVD available for $13.99 + tax and free shipping (cheaper than the MOD Archive disc). I just received my copy.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted February 20 2013 - 03:17 PM

For those interested, WBShop still has the 2008 pressed DVD available for $13.99 + tax and free shipping (cheaper than the MOD Archive disc). I just received my copy.

Good catch, Sean. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users