Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV audio to Soundbar question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 DaveK88

DaveK88

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 10:50 AM

I am connecting a new component video and audio system. My new HDTV has two audio outs: Stereo RCA (analog) and Digital (coaxial). My new sound bar has two audio ins: Auxilary (RCA; I believe this is only analog) and Optical (Toslink). Will the audio signal be better with just staying with the stereo RCA to Auxilary In or by CONVERTING the signal with a converter from Digital Coax to Optical Toslink? Thanks for any advice! D

#2 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,861 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 06 2013 - 10:55 AM

I doubt you could tell a difference. Can you connect your "TV source" to the soundbar both ways? (to give both a try)

#3 of 4 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:09 AM

Welcome to HTF, Dave! As Sam says, there will probably be little difference between analog stereo and digital coax when hooking up to a soundbar. Now digital sound may be preferred for a 5.1 system with separate speakers (your broadcast channels are most likely in 5.1 for some shows).

#4 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,861 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:22 AM

To add to what Steve and I said... One of our bedrooms has the Boston Acoustics TVee 25. It has RCA/mini-jack and toslink. I've connected the Directv via analog and BD player via toslink...and switched them around...and notice no difference either way. I do it that way to listen to the Directv "radio" and cds without TV involvement. The current connection is BD player analog to the BA TVee because CD on a BD player over digital...sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users