TV audio to Soundbar question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 DaveK88

DaveK88

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 10:50 AM

I am connecting a new component video and audio system. My new HDTV has two audio outs: Stereo RCA (analog) and Digital (coaxial). My new sound bar has two audio ins: Auxilary (RCA; I believe this is only analog) and Optical (Toslink). Will the audio signal be better with just staying with the stereo RCA to Auxilary In or by CONVERTING the signal with a converter from Digital Coax to Optical Toslink? Thanks for any advice! D

#2 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,745 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 06 2013 - 10:55 AM

I doubt you could tell a difference. Can you connect your "TV source" to the soundbar both ways? (to give both a try)

#3 of 4 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,505 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:09 AM

Welcome to HTF, Dave! As Sam says, there will probably be little difference between analog stereo and digital coax when hooking up to a soundbar. Now digital sound may be preferred for a 5.1 system with separate speakers (your broadcast channels are most likely in 5.1 for some shows).

#4 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,745 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:22 AM

To add to what Steve and I said... One of our bedrooms has the Boston Acoustics TVee 25. It has RCA/mini-jack and toslink. I've connected the Directv via analog and BD player via toslink...and switched them around...and notice no difference either way. I do it that way to listen to the Directv "radio" and cds without TV involvement. The current connection is BD player analog to the BA TVee because CD on a BD player over digital...sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users