What's new

Hiding speaker wires on wall (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I need to hide the 2 surround speaker wires that run vertically about 5.5' from baseboard to each surround speaker. I know about the Wiremold products, but is there anything else ? I plan to paint it to blend in with the wall. I read about one guy who taped the wire to wall with masking tape, then painted over it. Does this seem like a good idea? Would the tape even adhere to a sand finish painted surface? Or would the paint hold the masking tape up? Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-43028-Taperwire-Speaker/dp/B0002JUHR0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360194274&sr=1-5&keywords=flat+adhesive+speaker+wire http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-AWG-Adhesive-Speaker-Wire/dp/B005SUM1PO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360194274&sr=1-2&keywords=flat+adhesive+speaker+wire http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Research-PR390-800-Watt-Microflat/dp/B005FFUSX4/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360194274&sr=1-13&keywords=flat+adhesive+speaker+wire

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Sam, but I'm not interested in re-doing the wiring. What about the masking tape idea, and then painting it? Does anyone think it makes sense?

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Depends on how you want it to look. Masking tape might have a rendency to dry out and come loose, and paining over it may hasten the process. That's just a guess-I never tried it. If I was going to do things that way, I'd probably use duct tape, but that's just me. Actually, if you had enough duct tape, you could use it to cover the entire wall. That way, you'd have a hard time seeing the wires, It even comes in different colors besides silver. Bring your dates there. Might get interesting.Not sure I'd go that route though.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thanks guys. I may just use the Wiremold stuff after all. It's just so overkill for 1 speaker wire. It's 1.25" wide.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why can't you use 1 run of flat adhesive wire? I "know" the wire is "done"...but you got to take it out to put the wire mold in. Also, if you read the description of one of those flatwires...it comes with connectors to add the flat wire into existing normal round. You only use the adhesive flat where you need it. Not the entire run from the AVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks