Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PT 109 / Naked and the Dead

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 07:58 AM

PT 109 (story of Jack Kennedy and his Navy experience commanding a PT boat in WW II) and The Naked and the Dead are two very good Cliff Robertson WW II movies not on Blu-ray. Both titles have recently been broadcast on movie channels in 1080i and I was fortunate to record a copy of each in 480i. Better than nothing but I would love to be able to purchase each on Blu-ray. Her is hoping the studios or someone like Twilight or Criterion will release a Blu-ray of each in the near future.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 06 2013 - 08:11 AM

PT 109 is available on DVD via the Warner Archive, while The Naked and the Dead is owned by Warner but not released on any format. I guess there's always a chance that PT 109 may get one of the WA Blu-ray releases, but no one really knows what films will be coming from them beyond the four they initially announced.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the info Brandon since I recorded both in 480i from a broadcast in 1080i they are similar in quality to DVD. I watched both the other day and they are formatted correctly 16 x 9 and the video quality is very good for DVD. There is no incentive for me to buy either title on DVD I will wait for the Blu-ray which may never happen.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 07 2013 - 09:33 PM

I've love a great looking Blu of, The Naked & The Dead. I can still remember seeing it on the telly in the early sixties, & the scene where the guy gets bitten by a snake, starts frothing at the mouth & dies almost straight away. I saw it a couple of years ago on a rubbish TV satellite channel, it was pan & scan, & the picture was very green, but it still had that power, & not forgetting that great Bernard Herrmann score.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users