What's new

I need a DTV Turner? (1 Viewer)

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Im looking for a cheaper turner to allow me to get analog cable from the wall, run it to the box, and then HDMI to my reciever since im poor and have basic cable. lol Any good ones for a decent price (under $100). Thanks! I have a brand new Epson 8350 but cant watch cable on it. :( lmoa

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Samsung SIR T451 http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-DIGITAL-HDTV-TUNER-MODEL-SIR-T451-/251223322226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e13ae72 You'll need a DVI-HDMI cable. Unless your AVR has HDMI upconversion...in which case you can use the Component(I don't remember what AVR you have. The "other hoop" will be connection. If your AVR won't allow a simultaneous HDMI/digital coax-toslink connection, you'll have to run the T451 straight to the projector for the video)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If I understand you correctly, your best bet is to pick up a used VCR and route the standard-def cable through that (it should have an ATSC tuner built-in). You will lose HDMI, but frankly, there's no reason to want an HDMI output on a standard-def signal - it will offer zero benefit. All that being said, you really don't want to be watching SD material on a nice, new projector anyway.

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Well I just contacted my cable company, I can upgrade to an HDMI DVR box for $25 a month. I rent the box through them. BUT they do a credit check with a deposit and Idk if I wanna do that. Or I can pick up a Boxee? Those seem like my 2 options. Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just so you know...JC... My uncle is on "basic cable" with a brand new LG LCD(he is old and wanted no part in a plasma...it was easier not to argue). The TV gets HD content* over the basic cable...the Samsung T451 will do the same thing. *basic cable is required to send over OTA HD...it is up to you to have the tuner. An "outside" dedicated OTA antenna is still better, because you are beholden to whatever channels the basic cable provides. So, if you can snag Qubo over the air...but your cable provider leaves out Qubo...you can't have it.

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
schan1269 said:
Just so you know...JC... My uncle is on "basic cable" with a brand new LG LCD(he is old and wanted no part in a plasma...it was easier not to argue). The TV gets HD content over the basic cable...the Samsung T451 will do the same thing.
I looked the the T451 but don't wanna fool with the connections.... :( Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by schan1269
Just so you know...JC...
My uncle is on "basic cable" with a brand new LG LCD(he is old and wanted no part in a plasma...it was easier not to argue).
The TV gets HD content* over the basic cable...the Samsung T451 will do the same thing.
*basic cable is required to send over OTA HD...it is up to you to have the tuner. An "outside" dedicated OTA antenna is still better, because you are beholden to whatever channels the basic cable provides. So, if you can snag Qubo over the air...but your cable provider leaves out Qubo...you can't have it.
Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, when I connected the TV, I begged him to let me call the cable company for an HD upgrade. He didn't want to raise his bill...fine. I was shocked when ABC/CBS/NBC etc all came in in HD. Granted it was a "learning curve" as the TV had 4 "tiers" of tuner(including QAM)... So his "basic" took up the old set, then the HD ATSC had all the "duplicates". So he basically ended up with "the major networks" twice.

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
Any validity to this statment: "Avoid daisy-chaining your HDMI signal: Joel Silver of Imaging Science warns that connecting your source to your receiver via HDMI, and then linking from your receiver to your HDTV, degrades the picture quality."

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I'm gonna try a TiVo. They said I don't need a air card. We will see. I went to radio shack for shits and giggles, a rep came over and asked how she could help. I explained my situation and she seriously too me to speaker wire.....lol Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ladyg11 said:
Any validity to this statment: "Avoid daisy-chaining your HDMI signal: Joel Silver of Imaging Science warns that connecting your source to your receiver via HDMI, and then linking from your receiver to your HDTV, degrades the picture quality."
You do realize this quote is from 2008... And the very first comment even mentions the fact the original "reviewer" of PCMag either misquoted Joel Silver...or Mr. Silver himself was completely wrong. (I'm willing to believe the writer for PCMag was the idiot here...not Mr. Silver)

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
Kewl then. I just ran across it from a "calibtrating your hdtv" search on my cell. Hard to read on a cell screen - for me anyway. Thnx

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The real issue with HDMI(well digital video...which currently HDMI is the only way to carry it...except for DVI...but we won't go there) is... It realistically only works up to 100ft. Any longer than that and you need to switch it to Cat5e/6. Which, technically...HDMI is already Cat5e/6. Back when HDMI was created, lots of us wondered why they didn't just use RJ45 to begin with. Instead of this crappy HDMI flat connection. But back to "the signal"... Digital, in theory, does not degrade. It disappears. So...you can run HDMI 100ft(longer with Cat...and a rain dance and pray to the Gods it works) and have 98% of signal at the other end(98% is considered how much "loss" there can be before the signal is just "lost") Or you can run component 1000ft(even longer) and have 80% of the original signal at the other end. So yeah...analog "degrades"....digital signal disappears....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
sx4dude2013 said:
I'm gonna try a TiVo. They said I don't need a air card. We will see. I went to radio shack for shits and giggles, a rep came over and asked how she could help. I explained my situation and she seriously too me to speaker wire.....lol Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Wait, so instead of "not wanting to spend $100"... You have decided to spend $200+?

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
schan1269 said:
Wait, so instead of "not wanting to spend $100"... You have decided to spend $200+?
Well I got it new for $140.....but its faulty. TiVo said they think it has a bad graphics card and to return it. On my way there now.....ugh Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
schan1269 said:
The real issue with HDMI(well digital video...which currently HDMI is the only way to carry it...except for DVI...but we won't go there) is... It realistically only works up to 100ft. Any longer than that and you need to switch it to Cat5e/6. Which, technically...HDMI is already Cat5e/6. Back when HDMI was created, lots of us wondered why they didn't just use RJ45 to begin with. Instead of this crappy HDMI flat connection. But back to "the signal"... Digital, in theory, does not degrade. It disappears. So...you can run HDMI 100ft(longer with Cat...and a rain dance and pray to the Gods it works) and have 98% of signal at the other end(98% is considered how much "loss" there can be before the signal is just "lost") Or you can run component 1000ft(even longer) and have 80% of the original signal at the other end. So yeah...analog "degrades"....digital signal disappears....

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
So as long as I have all my components and tv tucked into a basic tv stand there's no need to even be concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks