What's new

Epson 8500ub (1 Viewer)

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
Was looking for some advice on this projector. They have factory refurbs for $1k-$1100. Even though its a few years old now would this still be a good deal? Would I be happier with this lcd projector then I would be with the benq w1070? I know the epson is easier to place than the benq but is less bright. And I've read a few things about the bulbs not lasting too long. What're your guys thoughts?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I wouldn't buy a projector that's already over 3 years old, especially at that price. Would you buy a computer, for instance, that came out over 3 years ago? Not me.

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
That was my worry. Thanks for the conformation lol. Think I'm just gonna stick with the w1070. Just wishing I would have bought it yesterday when it was $200 bucks cheaper...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why bag on the 8500UB? That was a good projector then...and it still is now. That projector on the used market still fetches $900. What else is he going to find for $1000-ish with vertical and horizontal lens shift?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Im with Sam Potential issues: 1. many hours of useage (dimness of bulb) 2. convergence error (alignment error) 3. color and luminance uniformity issues I would verify each of the above before commiting to a used LCD projector (or LCOS for that matter).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gregg Loewen said:
Im with Sam Potential issues: 1. many hours of useage (dimness of bulb) 2. convergence error (alignment error) 3. color and luminance uniformity issues I would verify each of the above before commiting to a used LCD projector (or LCOS for that matter).
I would assume that a refurb from Epson would be fine...in all those regards...my only question is warranty. "New" they had 2 years...what does a "straight from Epson refurb" have?(I'm not looking it up...I'm not the one buying it)

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
ARM420 said:
I just broke down and bought the 1070. I'm sure ill be happy with it :)
Let me know what u think of it! Please Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
I plan on keeping an updated progress thread for piecing together the rest of my home theater set up seeing as I know ill be asking more questions and to thank all the people that have helped me out with it so far.

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
Can anyone throw a couple links to good forums about diy screens and spandex type/color combos. I know I've read then on here before but can't seem to find them now while I'm at work. Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks