Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 coming out on June 11, 2013...link below

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 of 34 OFFLINE   JJHLH

JJHLH

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 05:25 AM

Posting a "review" on Amazon voicing displeasure regarding this censorship is a very good idea. One of the reasons those reviews exist is to provide consumers with information. If enough people make their voices heard perhaps Warner Brothers will reconsider, especially if it has the potential to effect their bottom line.

#22 of 34 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,797 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 08 2013 - 06:31 AM

Posting a "review" on Amazon voicing displeasure regarding this censorship is a very good idea. One of the reasons those reviews exist is to provide consumers with information. If enough people make their voices heard perhaps Warner Brothers will reconsider, especially if it has the potential to effect their bottom line.
Normally, I hate people posting reviews on Amazon when they haven't seen the actual product but in cases like this, I look at it as a warning to other consumers.

#23 of 34 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 722 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 07:41 AM

Normally, I hate people posting reviews on Amazon when they haven't seen the actual product but in cases like this, I look at it as a warning to other consumers.
I agree with you completely and I do not like people prejudging things before they see them. I'm sure the T & J set will look and sound fabulous but it's the missing cartoons that are at issue here.

#24 of 34 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,806 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:01 AM

Then you read something that I never saw. And TVShowsOnDVD.com must've never saw it either since I check in there daily. The closest I've ever seen Warner actually even mentioning it was to state during an interview that they had no firm plans to release them. That's no confirmation in my book. The only facts that I'm aware of is that they've restored them, have screened them, and that Jerry Beck has been optimistic several times that a optical disc release of them was going to happen. And it's safe to assume that they've considered such a thing and probably have evaluated it multiple times over the years.
The source is Jerry Beck through his radio interviews, the most recent flat out stating that all work on the set is done (including disclaimers, extras, etc) and all that is needed is for WHV to make a move in terms of actually scheduling the release date and manufacture of the discs. Which, if this situation is any indication, means never :P

#25 of 34 OFFLINE   JJHLH

JJHLH

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 01:11 PM

I normally wouldn't advocate a negative review on Amazon prior to an item being released, but if this goes through as currently planned it will be too late by then. The time to act is now if there is any hope Warner Brothers may reverse their decision. The only thing that will change their mind is customer feedback in ways that count.

#26 of 34 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:10 PM

The source is Jerry Beck through his radio interviews, the most recent flat out stating that all work on the set is done (including disclaimers, extras, etc) and all that is needed is for WHV to make a move in terms of actually scheduling the release date and manufacture of the discs. Which, if this situation is any indication, means never :P
As far as I know, Jerry Beck isn't even a Warner employee even though he's certainly involved and likely is still involved with their projects with classic animation and those from other studio's. And he has been giving hope for several years now that this would happen and has made it sound like a release was imminent more than once with nothing happening. This isn't a confirmed release until it's actually confirmed by Warner. I would think that the Tom & Jerry situation we're discussing right now should warrant plenty of skepticism that these Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts are some sort of guarantee. At the very least it should be enough for people to not act like it's somehow been confirmed when it hasn't. That said, I think there's a good chance it will happen. Studios don't routinely invest money into properties they don't intend to commercialize and one of the few facts that we do have where these cartoon's are concerned is that restoration has been undertaken and new transfers have been made.

#27 of 34 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would think that the Tom & Jerry situation we're discussing right now should warrant plenty of skepticism that these Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts are some sort of guarantee.
Recent Looney Tunes efforts, by themselves, should warrant skepticism WHV will release the remaining films correctly. As for this issue, it certainly highlights how there can be a communication breakdown between someone like Jerry Beck and a studio, as well as how a studio can weaken under PC pressure even after making the decision to restore the films for release.

#28 of 34 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 722 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 02:30 AM

The problem here is that Warner Home Video is listening to the lawyers, plain and simple. The lawyers are telling WHV what to expect from releasing these two cartoons on this set and it makes the suits nervous. They are afraid that there will be public backlash over releasing these cartoons on home video and it will **tarnish** their image. The lawyers are telling them that the little kids will be smitten for life by racial stereotypes and that public organizations will rise up in a strong voice and object to these cartoons being put out on a **TOM AND JERRY** home video release intended for children. It is out of fear of what **MAY** happen that WHV is preventing these cartoons from being released in the USA. "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat" are on home video releases in other countries but it is only because of potential public outcry are they being withheld from release in the United States and Canada. Fear is the same reason that Disney will not release SONG OF THE SOUTH on home video. Disney has released that film on home video in Britain, Hong Kong and, I believe, Japan. It's only out of fear of repercussions in America is it prevented from being released. I don't want to turn this into a discussion on SONG OF THE SOUTH because it is TOM AND JERRY at the moment that we are dealing with. If we can get WHV to change their mind on issuing these cartoons on home video, then maybe there will be a chance for other cartoons that have been banned to get their chance on DVD and Bluray.

#29 of 34 OFFLINE   JJHLH

JJHLH

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 04:33 AM

Volume 1 of the Tom and Jerry Golden Collection had material that some may consider offensive. That is why the cover specifically stated that the set "is intended for the Adult Collector and May Not Be Suitable for Children". The set also came with a video disclaimer that appeared onscreen prior to the top menu. I actually thought it was handled very well by Warner's. As far as i know there wasn't an outcry regarding Vol 1, which is why I was surprised that two of the shorts will be censored and not included on Vol 2. This is particularly disappointing for "Mouse Cleaning" since that cartoon is only a handful of Tom and Jerry cartoons to be resorted from original nitrate elements (almost all were destroyed in a studio fire during the 1970's). "Mouse Cleaning" would therefore look amazing on blu ray. Warner Brothers' poor decision has done nothing but alienate and antagonize their fan base. The 1 star reviews on Amazon are already piling up. I hope people protest and don't buy this incomplete collection but check it out from their local library instead.

#30 of 34 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:07 AM

Those 2 cartoons are on unedited on the german set and I assume on the UK set. The german set is highly edited but not those 2 cartoons! 

#31 of 34 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 907 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sumnernor  Those 2 cartoons are on unedited on the german set and I assume on the UK set. The german set is highly edited but not those 2 cartoons! 
Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat were also released on The Art of Tom & Jerry laserdiscs in the United States without any apparent controversy. The gags in those cartoons are very similar to gags used in shorts already included unedited in The Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 1.

#32 of 34 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 722 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 02:40 PM

Here is the e-mail address for a marketing director at Warner Home Video: hersin.magante@warnerbros.com Here is other contact info for WHV: Phone Number: 818-954-6000 Address Location: Warner Home Video, Inc. 4000 Warner Boulevard Burbank, CA 91522-0001

#33 of 34 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:37 AM

I have these missing cartoons on the German set and I really can't say that they are any way "bad" or even a little "bad". I am sure that I have seen other things of Warner that are "worse"! These 2 cartoons are nothing special. I can't see why a high-up person is upset. Maybe he should get glasses or something.

#34 of 34 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 907 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 08:31 AM

A new article on this issue:  http://www.today.com...erts-6C10971524

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users