• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 08:24 AM

Bear McCreary - the astonishingly talented composer from Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Human Target and most recently, The Walking Dead, has created some of the very best music for television. I wanted to start this thread to share news of his current and upcoming projects, discuss some of his greatest accomplishments, and other assorted news.

I hope I am not the only Bear fan on HTF.

To kick things off, I found this great peice on YouTube where Bear talks about creating the main theme for The Walking Dead.

Enjoy.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 27 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Advanced Member

• 10,145 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 05 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'm a fan too, but I am only slowly collecting his work (case in point: I don't own any of the BSG soundtracks, but have Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles).

I really like the Walking Dead music too.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#3 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron Yee 

I'm a fan too, but I am only slowly collecting his work (case in point: I don't own any of the BSG soundtracks, but have Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles).

I really like the Walking Dead music too.

Oh - the BSG scores are among the highlights of my soundtrack collection and certainly some of the finest music ever recorded for a television series (heck, better than a great deal of film scores in my opinion). When you get around to picking them up, you are in for a treat.

To add to that, LaLaLand Records has a deal on the BSG scores to help celebrate the impending release of music from the BSG: Blood & Chrome web series (also by Bear). Now would be an economical time to pick up those scores!

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#4 of 27 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Advanced Member

• 10,145 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 06 2013 - 04:04 AM

If you had to pick one BSG soundtrack release, what would it be?

#5 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 04:04 AM

Here's the blurb from LLL from their website (with links)

BSG SPECIAL! To celebrate the forthcoming release of the BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: BLOOD & CHROME soundtrack, La-La Land Records is having an out-of-this world sale on all of its BATTLESTAR GALACTICA titles. BSG MINI-SERIES, BSG SEASON 1, BSG SEASON 2, BSG SEASON 3, BSG SEASON 4 (2-CD SET), BSG: THE PLAN/RAZOR and CAPRICA are all only $9.98 EACH.  For a limited time.

My DVD Collection

#6 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 05:48 AM

Bear McCreary performaing 'Prelude to War', from Battlestar Galactica, on the piano.

My DVD Collection

#7 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 05:52 AM

If you had to pick one BSG soundtrack release, what would it be?

Great question. I would say Season 4. It's a two-disc set (season 4 on disc one and then music from the final episode, Daybreak, on Disc two) and contains some extraordinary peices, including Gaeta's Lament and Assault on the Colony - a wonderful 15 minute track that takes your breath away!

My DVD Collection

#8 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 05:59 AM

Here's a track from Caprica which will one-day get a LaLaLand release. Caprica's music was always the moodier, string-heavier cousin to BSG - and excellent.

My DVD Collection

#9 of 27 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Advanced Member

• 10,145 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 08 2013 - 06:01 AM

Isn't Caprica available now from LaLaLand? Or is there another release pending?

#10 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 06:02 AM

One last clip for today - this is one of my all-time favourite Bear peices.

My DVD Collection

#11 of 27 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,793 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 12 2013 - 01:50 AM

That's fantastic!!!!! I had heard he had some good Taiko drum tracks but was having a hard time nailing down which BSG tracks featured the drums. This is a good one! Others you can recommend? Bear or otherwise?

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#12 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 03:36 AM

Isn't Caprica available now from LaLaLand? Or is there another release pending?

The release available now is from the pilot and a likely 2-disc release from the full season is due in the near-ish future!

And I keep missing your notes so I am sorry it's taking days to respond!

My DVD Collection

#13 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

That's fantastic!!!!!

I had heard he had some good Taiko drum tracks but was having a hard time nailing down which BSG tracks featured the drums. This is a good one! Others you can recommend? Bear or otherwise?

Let me find some of my other fave tracks featuring the Taiko drum and post them here (Bear or otherwise).

My DVD Collection

#14 of 27 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,793 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 12 2013 - 04:18 AM

Thanks Neil. I have that one above on repeat play in the meantime!

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#15 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 04:45 AM

A loop of the intro blips:

Random track of unaccompanied Taiko drums:

Awesom track (Rosalyn Escapes):

Sound quality isn't the best, but this is from the Sci-Fi museum BSG exhibition:

Subtle use of the Taiko drum (from season one)

Non-Bear - Track from Hero by Tan Dun:

My DVD Collection

#16 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:49 AM

I thought this was an interesting, fan-made use of Taiko drums - recutting a scene from 300

My DVD Collection

#17 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:56 AM

This is pretty darn great, too:

My DVD Collection

#18 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:59 AM

Back to Bear - this is a wonderful peice from Caprica (I hope this makes it onto the CD that LLL release)

My DVD Collection

#19 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 06:01 AM

From The Plan, this is Apocalypse played live - another wonderful peice of music for BSG by Bear.

My DVD Collection

#20 of 27 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Advanced Member

• 2,441 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 06:05 AM

Ok, last one - another track from season one of BSG.

My DVD Collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users