What's new

Good value for a 46" LED TV (1 Viewer)

superlou

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
I have a 10 year old LCD TV that doesn't have any HDMI or DVI-digital support, and I think I'm ready to move on. I have been saving up my credit card cash back points towards this, and have a budget around $700. The specs I was looking at are:
[*] Size: 46" or 47"
[*] Resolution: 1080p
[*] Refresh rate: 120 Hz or better
[*] Illumination: LED backlit (I hear it's better in non-low light situations?). I tend to have the TV on a lot in brighter lighting, though I don't expect the same contrast as in proper lighting.
[*] 3D: Would prefer passive or none. I don't have any 3D content and would be willing to give it up for a good deal
[*] Ports: Would like 3 HDMI inputs, but that seems to be something manufacturers are only giving you on high end smart TVs.
[*] Smart Features: None. I have a media PC and Roku hooked up to the TV and I'd rather have a fast turn on time than another means of playing netflix that's likely to stop getting firmware updates.
[*] Brands: I've read Samsung has great video decoding/processing technology, and Panasonic customer support is not good, but other than that, I'd appreciate any experiences people have had. I'd prefer a name brand over a budget brand, but if the picture and features are good, I'm not snobbish.
[/list] Is this a sane feature list for $700? I haven't bought a TV in many years, and from scouring Amazon and Slickdeals, this seems close, but just outside my budget. I'm hoping that with Christmas and the Super Bowl over, the prices of last years models will start coming down. Thanks, Louis

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Plasma is the only thing in your price range. A $700 plasma beats a $700 LCD any day of the week. And yes, I know you said "bright room" and all...but I got a picture coming later today when I finally set-up a review I'm doing. You won't get much brighter than this room...and it has a 3yo Hitachi plasma in it. I have no problem watching it...ever. Granted, it is on the south wall.

superlou

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
Since it's largely going to be connected to a media PC, where I have the lousy habit of leaving the screen in desktop mode or some other static output, I was concerned about burn in. I've never used a modern plasma TV. Are they still as susceptible as in years past?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings If you continue to behave like that, then plasma is out. LG LED/LCD units continue to use IPS screens so they have the best viewing angles. Very tweakable. Samsungs have lesser viewing angles and are less tweakable at that price point. Sharps tend to have the worst viewing angles. Sony sets are just behind the LG for viewing angles. $700 is budget territory so overall tweakability is reduced on most of these sets except for LG. They tend to use the same menu on all their sets across the board. Regards

superlou

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
Thanks for the tips. If $700 is budget model pricing, do you have an idea of what would be a more reasonable price point for those features? If I can expect the TV to be well built and high quality, I think I may be better served saving up and extending my budget a bit. Just need to figure out how large "a bit" is.

superlou

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
I happened to be in Costco today and they had an LG 55LM4600 (http://www.amazon.com/LG-55LM4600-1080p-120Hz-HDTV/dp/B00AJU7IBK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360433385&sr=1-1&keywords=55lm4600) for $700. It's larger than I was looking for, but the picture looked comparable to the other units on display. It was hard to tell since I think the video source was pretty lousy. It seems like it's a discount to make way for this years models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks