Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Subwoofer in 600-700 range!!! Suggestion? 18x23x8 room

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 of 25 OFFLINE   Doug Hess

Doug Hess

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 12:37 PM

You're right, Tom. What a speaker can handle at high volumes, particularly in the lower octaves, just isn't talked about much. Because it's so room-dependent, as you mentioned, it's tough to pin down, but you'd think manufacturers would at least give us an anechoic number. Maybe we can make that happen. :) -Doug

#22 of 25 OFFLINE   Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Screenwriter

• 2,204 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 08:39 AM

You're right, Tom. What a speaker can handle at high volumes, particularly in the lower octaves, just isn't talked about much. Because it's so room-dependent, as you mentioned, it's tough to pin down, but you'd think manufacturers would at least give us an anechoic number. Maybe we can make that happen. :) -Doug
Don't hold your breath. There's a lot of CEA-2010 data for subwoofers at the data-bass site. But there's not a whole lot available for full range speakers that I'm aware of. Soundvision has some but if I remember correctly they measure their CEA-2010 in room with compensation files that are supposed to mimic outside 2m data. I'd rather have true outside 2m....but beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I think one of the most misunderstood "specs" for speakers and subwoofer alike is their "rated low frequency extension". A close second would be frequency response graphs being mistaken for maximum output information..:) Tom V. Power Sound Audio

#23 of 25 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,248 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 18 2013 - 09:28 AM

Don't hold your breath. There's a lot of CEA-2010 data for subwoofers at the data-bass site. But there's not a whole lot available for full range speakers that I'm aware of. Soundvision has some but if I remember correctly they measure their CEA-2010 in room with compensation files that are supposed to mimic outside 2m data. I'd rather have true outside 2m....but beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I think one of the most misunderstood "specs" for speakers and subwoofer alike is their "rated low frequency extension". >>>>> A close second would be frequency response graphs being mistaken for maximum output information..:)<<<< Tom V. Power Sound Audio
Boy do I know that one. Even if you try to buy speakers based on efficiency...are they basing efficiency as an average? Or just telling you the peak..wherever that is? I just ran Audyssey on the SVS Ultra I'm reviewing and Audyssey set the rear dipoles at 40hz...ROFL...

#24 of 25 OFFLINE   Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Screenwriter

• 2,204 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 04:43 AM

Boy do I know that one. Even if you try to buy speakers based on efficiency...are they basing efficiency as an average? Or just telling you the peak..wherever that is? I just ran Audyssey on the SVS Ultra I'm reviewing and Audyssey set the rear dipoles at 40hz...ROFL...
And do they offer the sensitivity spec against wattage or voltage? Then you need to see the impedance plot to really knows what's up. I guess when a lot of this stuff is considered....you can't blame the super huge manufacturers for only using the most basic "specs". Tom V. Power Sound Audio

#25 of 25 OFFLINE   DL 00

DL 00

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hello everyone. I was gone for a while enjoying my vacation in southeast asia. Well as I said, I wasnt completely sure about the fronts but was leaning towards the PL-89s. I know it's not the best speaker on the market but I had a few reasons why I was leaning in that direction. I have a bit of a history with BIC and I like them as a brand. The PL-89 is their flagship model and I have read a lot of good reviews on them. Although they have a horn-loaded tweeter, most people say their sound is not quite as "harsh" as Klipsch. And I think the speakers look great visually and would be a perfect match with the room. My main concern with them is that they dont have a dedicated midrange. I'm still open to other options with my fronts. Doug (nice name by the way), what is your personal recommendation? Schan wondered why I wouldnt choose the PL center. Well, I would love the PL center actually. I think it looks great and I've read good reviews on it as well. I am really intrigued by the Hsu center channel and bookshelves though. My TV stand is going to be sitting low to the ground, so I also like the fact that the Hsu center can be angled up a bit. Although I guess it wouldnt be hard to modify that position for any other center channel. The one thing I'm sure about now is that I'm going with dual SVS 12" sealed subs. I'm excited for that. The rest of the components are not locked in yet. I'll be back to the states in 2 months so I have a little time to solidify my choices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users