What's new

Help me! (1 Viewer)

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Im trying to build a HT system and I'm so burnt out on reading review after review, I'm afraid I'm going to just pull the trigger on something and it will be the wrong choice lol. I have a 12x15 room and about a $1200 budget for a receiver and everything.. I don't know if I want a 5.1 or 7.1 but I think if I picked a 5.1 setup I could get better quality speakers? I'm looking for something that will immerse me in a movie or game.. Bass is very important to me, I like to thump once in a while.. I listen to a diverse range of music, Metal, Rock, Hiphop.. I've been looking at an Onkyo 7.1 system that has a 12" sub (their best htib) but I dunno if that's a wise decision. I've also been checking out some Klipsch speakers.. I know $1200 isn't a lot and I don't expect THE BEST.. but I think I can do better than my LG soundbar and 5" sub lol.. It does a decent job for what it is though. Help me figure this out!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First thing is the AVR. Only HDMI sources or do you have anything component/composite? Speakers(the 7.0) can be done for $450-ish for quality stuff(BIC DV, Polk Monitor and Infinity Primus). Even if you buy a $400 AVR, you still have enough for a BIC, LAVA and a few other subs.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I don't really know how to match up a receiver with the speakers, as far as how many watts per channel I need etc.. Also I was looking at a Klipsch SW-112, but that might put me way over lol...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AVR and speaker wattages are meaningless. What you care about is ohm load and efficiency of the speakers. Just about all the speakers that are going to fit your budget are 8ohm and 87-91 db efficient. The ones I already mentioned will work with every single AVR you are going to find from $120-$400 at A4L, NewEgg, Amazon, Best Buy and every single other store or online merchant you care to find. Buy the AVR based on need/want... Want networking? Buy one with networking. Want 2nd zone? Buy one with 2nd zone. Want Apple support? Buy one with Airplay. Have a Wii or VCR? Buy one with HDMI upconversion. Have a laptop you'll occasionally connect? Buy one with a front HDMI. Have "portable audio" you'd like to connect? Buy one with a mini-jack or RCA on the front. Play music off a USB? Buy one with a front USB. Would you like a remote that will run your DVD/BD player and turn your TV on and off? Buy one with a Pre-programmed remote control.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
http://www.orbaudio.com/htexpressprocomplete516171hometheatersystem.aspx I'm thinking about this system with an upgraded AVR to the Denon AVR 1613 And also Upgrading the Sub to the Uber 10 300w ... Going over budget but this sounds like a pretty nice system.. And makes my choices easy lol.. Thoughts?

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
schan1269 said:
If you need the tiniest speakers possible, sure.
HAHA that made me lol.. I know they are small huh?
Brainwasher said:
I like the denon/onkyo and BIC much better
Which ones? I'lll get wires and stands, not really counting that into my budget..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He means the BIC DV series. Commonly the DV62(around $115/pair) with the 52/62 center(whichever one you have room for..$80/$110) Or the Polk Monitor, Monitor II or the "new" Monitor. The bookshelves of those three series are $120-$240/pair. The center(depending on which series...and the size you want) is $80-$180. Infinity Primus only matters if you live close to Fry. You can get them on Amazon, but Fry is less money.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Never heard of Fry.. I'm in MI.. I've actually almost made a decision, but I would like opinions before I do. I'm not sure if this amp is a good choice or not, I definitely want the Klipsch SW-112, I want feel the feel "feel the feel feel the bass"... (If you know what that it you're old) :) This is at Best Buy, but they don't have the sub in stock so I'll get that elsewhere.. The SW 112 seems to be pretty steadily priced at $599. Klipsch - Quintet 5.0-Channel Home Theater System Subtotal: $274.99 Yamaha - 575W 5.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver Model: RX-V473BL Subtotal: $399.99

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Since the sub has it's own 300w amp the receiver really doesn't matter, it will still thump right??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks