Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Contracting One's Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 of 34 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 05:39 AM

I'm thinking about giving that #3 WH!! and #1 KL to my sister in Alabama to be donated to the base library. That #1 KL was a mistake off the get-go, and the #3 WH!! was also a mistake because the show was changed for the worse from what it had been in the first two seasons.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season, modified from what it was in 1985, in that "other financial services" was said instead of just "financial services")

#22 of 34 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,707 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 08 2013 - 05:55 AM

I'm thinking about giving that #3 WH!! and #1 KL to my sister in Alabama to be donated to the base library. That #1 KL was a mistake off the get-go, and the #3 WH!! was also a mistake because the show was changed for the worse from what it had been in the first two seasons.
What are WH and KL?

#23 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 918 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 06:22 AM

What are WH and KL?
Ah, a fun game. I'll take one guess: WH is What's Happening.

#24 of 34 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,707 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 08 2013 - 06:25 AM

Ah, a fun game. I'll take one guess: WH is What's Happening.
That was my guess, and I'll take a stab and say KL is Knot's Landing. But I hate how the internet has turned the world into a sea of acronyms!

#25 of 34 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 09:29 AM

That was my guess, and I'll take a stab and say KL is Knot's Landing. But I hate how the internet has turned the world into a sea of acronyms!
You are correct! WH!! and KL do refer to What's Happening!! and Knots Landing respectively. :)
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season, modified from what it was in 1985, in that "other financial services" was said instead of just "financial services")

#26 of 34 OFFLINE   rkofan87

rkofan87

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 08:02 AM

I try to resist the urge to thin out the collection, whether TV shows, movies, CDs or books. I know in the case of CDs, I have re-bought several CDs I've sold, which is just insane. I'm bursting at the seams with media; but if there's a chance I might want to re-watch it/re-hear/re-read it, or someone else might, I just hang onto it. The only ones I sell now are blind buys that I regret, or titles I have upgraded to Blu (though sometimes I give away DVD versions to family members or friends). I'm still mulling over new storage options.
this

#27 of 34 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:51 AM

Am now unloading two more titles to Amazon trade-in for bonus credits, the first three seasons of Rawhide and the first two seasons of Bonanza which is all I got of those shows and they just don't interest me enough to justify continuing or even maintaining what I have (save for one episode of Rawhide with a rare guest shot of Julie London that I've backed up for keeps). I'm basically now finished as far as adding new western titles go, and these two were my least favorite among the big ones (by contrast, I'm going to complete "Wagon Train" and "The Virginian").

#28 of 34 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,436 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 06 2013 - 10:56 AM

Every now and then I will find myself having "Doubles" whenever this happens I'll give the surplus disks to a friend. :cool:

I did the same thing recently. I had re-recorded some of my VHS copies of The Beverly Hillbillies to DVD and told a friend I'd send her my old DVD copies. I got to looking and I had several of the "dollar bin" DVD's of the public domain episodes and I shoved those in the envelope as well.

CBS = Constantly Being Stalled

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#29 of 34 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 11:11 AM

$103 worth of trade-ins for the titles I mentioned above means the Blu-Ray of Twilight Zone only costs me $48!

I need to separate which bonuses weren't ported over from the regular DVD releases before I look to trade those in.

#30 of 34 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,733 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 13 2013 - 11:24 AM

I need to separate which bonuses weren't ported over from the regular DVD releases before I look to trade those in.

Some guy with too much free time (me), listed them all here: http://www.hometheat...view/?p=3880490

The missing features were listed row by row and easy to read but the switch to the new platform wrecked that. Feel free to ask any questions about the list.

Edited by TravisR, May 13 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#31 of 34 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 12:17 PM

Okay, if we leave out little variations in the commercial bumpers and DVD-ROM features these would be the big items not ported over?

1-Submitted For Your Approval documentary

2-Museum of TV/Radio Seminar

3-Sci Fi Channel spots

4-Night Gallery promos

#32 of 34 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,733 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 13 2013 - 02:39 PM

^ Pretty much. Also, there were scenes from Mute that were colorized for its first airing on TV in about 20 years and the photo galleries.

Submitted For Your Approval is still available on its own as a single DVD.

#33 of 34 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Screenwriter

• 1,307 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 05:55 PM

I only started buying a lot of dvds sometime in mid 2011.  (Before 2011, I had very little to no interest in dvds).  Most of my purchases has been bargain bin stuff, in the form of $5 (or less) movies and $15-$20 (or less) tv season sets (both dvd and bluray).

After about a year and a half of buying a lot of movies and tv shows, I've come to the realization most of it I have barely watched.  (I only finished watching shows like the Stargate franchise, the revived Battlestar Galactica, and some one season shows like Crusade, Firefly, etc ...).  At this point, I think I'm "burned out" on buying dvds/blurays and slowly losing interest in tv shows and movies.  Not many dvd tv seasons sets left, which still interest me.  (I may pick up the last four season of the original Hawaii Five-O, once they start showing up in the local bargain bins for $15 or less).

At times I wonder whether I made the right decision in buying so many dvds/blurays over the last two years or so, when a lot of is available on streaming services like Netflix, amazon, etc ... for a flat monthly fee.

The only thing which has held me back on purging my dvd/bluray collection, is that I haven't finished watching most of it.

With all this being said, I've been making some efforts to limit my buying of any new dvd/bluray tv season season sets.  Basically this involves actually watching episodes of my current regular tv shows within a few days of broadcast, instead of stockpiling multiple episodes for weeks or months on the dvr.  After watching every episode in a particular season, the season dvd set has much less appeal to me.  (For example, I have very little to no interest in buying the dvd season sets of tv shows like Criminal Minds, the revived Hawaii Five-0, Continuum, etc ... after watching almost every episode more than once.  At this point, the only thing which could convince me to buy such season sets, would be if they show up in the bargain bins for $5 or less).

#34 of 34 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 04:31 PM

Being a packrat myself, I've mostly tended to keep extra discs and just store them up in the attic.

This has paid off in the case of many titles where the Blu-ray either didn't have the bonus features of the DVD or where there have been disputes about the presentation on the Blu.

BTW the colorized episode of Twilight Zone S4 was "Miniature".  I still remember watching that broadcast at the time in the 1980s.  A friend of mine taped it on his Betamax and we watched it again the next day.

The Twilight Zone season sets are but one example where not all the content carried over. With the Star Wars movies, the documentary and the rest of the content from the Bonus disc including the trailers were left off the Blus.  With the Apocalypse Now documentary Hearts of Darkness, there was a commentary on the DVD and a documentary on "Youth Without Youth" that did not carry over to the Blu-ray set. Some Criterion titles have never ported over from DVD or even from laserdisc, necessitating my keeping all of those. The 4th Die Hard movie has a superior, unrated cut on DVD that never made it to Blu-ray to my knowledge. And the list goes on.

I did perform a large paring down about 7 years ago.  I'm probably due to look over what titles I really don't pay that much attention to.  But a lot of the TV shows are nice to have in full sets.   I didn't pick up the All in the Family set, but there was an excellent Norman Lear collection I found at Barnes and Noble a few years back that had the first seasons of a bunch of the Lear shows (Maude, Jeffersons, Fernwood, One Day at a Time, etc), along with a separate set of discs that had lots of documentaries, interviews and bonus materials.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users