What's new

Disney Announces The Little Mermaid (Blu-ray) with Trailer (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Funny enough, at about the time Ron posted this, I was talking to a client about Disney movies and the Diamond line in particular. I think I need to call her back this afternoon to make sure she preorders this...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We have a ton of Disney stuff coming out very shortly (and yes, I know none of it is TLM). My wallet can't handle giving any more money to the Mouse.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jason_V
We have a ton of Disney stuff coming out very shortly (and yes, I know none of it is TLM). My wallet can't handle giving any more money to the Mouse.
I'm sure The Little Mermaid will be a stellar disc. It's the non-Platinums I worry about. Last year had a great lineup of some of the better "bread and butter" titles (the ones Disney releases regularly but never makes a big to-do about), and some of the transfers were good, yet there was a troubling trend of ignoring alternate cuts (Muppet Christmas Carol, Pocahontas) and dumping legacy extras (Pete's Dragon), as well as some very sloppy quality control issues that required recalls (Great Mouse Detective, Arachnophobia).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, I don't disagree with any of that. All I'm saying is that there is a lot of Disney product coming and I'm happy TLM is a few months down the road instead of right now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Given the trailer for the film that is included in the upcoming Blu-ray of
Peter Pan, I am confident that The Little Mermaid will be a 3D combo release.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Johnny Angell said:
Why does it have to be so far into the future? (Heavy Sigh)
Um...Because the Diamond lines have ALWAYS been Feb/March and Oct/November? :confused: (Dating back to the days when they only could master two big Blu releases per year, but now it's just the two big disk-buying seasons, Spring and Holiday-Shopping.)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
Given the trailer for the film that is included in the upcoming Blu-ray of  Peter Pan, I am confident that The Little Mermaid will be a 3D combo release.
I thought I had read in another thread that TLM in 3D had been canceled? This is good news for me since this movie has so much opportunity for picture depth.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
I thought I had read in another thread that TLM in 3D had been canceled?

Maybe it was. All I can tell you is that there is a trailer in front of Peter Pan heralding TLM 3D theatrical release.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
Maybe it was. All I can tell you is that there is a trailer in front of Peter Pan heralding TLM 3D theatrical release.
I'm going with your story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
Doesn't it seem suspicious that both this movie and the other 5 Star Wars films in 3D were cancelled within such a short amount of time?  They're all coming from Disney, of course.
I said it in another thread but the grosses of all 3-D conversions/re-releases are generally getting progressively smaller. Looking at Disney's 3-D conversions between late 2011 to late 2012, The Lion King made nearly $100 million, Beauty And The Beast made under $50 million, Finding Nemo made about $40 million and Monsters, Inc. had trouble breaking $30 million. Seeing those number get smaller so quickly, I think it's fair to guess that Disney isn't that excited about spending money on converting movies to 3-D anymore. I wish they'd try re-releasing a movie without the 3-D. At least that way, they'd save about $10 million on the conversion (at least that's the figure that I've seen quoted) and while they'd still have to spend money on a marketing campaign, etc., I can't believe that movies like The Little Mermaid or Attack Of The Clones or Revenge Of The Sith or most any Disney animated movie couldn't earn them a healthy profit.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by TravisR
I wish they'd try re-releasing a movie without the 3-D. At least that way, they'd save about $10 million on the conversion (at least that's the figure that I've seen quoted) and while they'd still have to spend money on a marketing campaign, etc., I can't believe that movies like The Little Mermaid or Attack Of The Clones or Revenge Of The Sith or most any Disney animated movie couldn't earn them a healthy profit.
I agree with the idea of non-3D reissues. I miss them and I thing Eisner made a mistake getting rid of the theatrical reissue plan, and it was a mistake not using limited theatrical re-issues to showcase the new restorations.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Maybe Disney ought to realize that saturating the market so quickly in 3D conversions would take the special aspect of the releases away. One a year would be a gracious plenty, but doing so many back-to-back wasn't a very wise business plan.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I recall the second edition DVD wasn't one that people were thrilled with, saying the film didn't look as good as the original DVD. I'm sure, given Disney's recent blu-ray efforts, that that will not be the case this time.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by MattH.
Maybe Disney ought to realize that saturating the market so quickly in 3D conversions would take the special aspect of the releases away. One a year would be a gracious plenty, but doing so many back-to-back wasn't a very wise business plan.
I think more people would pay money to see these films again without Remember, The Lion King also had non-3D showings, and those made money, too.
It would have been interesting to see how 3-D conversions would have worked on a pre-CAPS film like Mermaid. The effect on Lion King and Beauty and the Beast kind of made them look like pop-up books. It was effective, but it wasn't what I'd consider an ideal 3-D experience. But now, we won't get to see any kind of theatrical release. I saw it 3 times when it was released and once in the 1997 reissue (which IIRC, only happened because they wanted to compete with Don Bluth's Anastasia). It saddens me to think future generations won't get a similar experience.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by TravisR
I said it in another thread but the grosses of all 3-D conversions/re-releases are generally getting progressively smaller. Looking at Disney's 3-D conversions between late 2011 to late 2012, The Lion King made nearly $100 million, Beauty And The Beast made under $50 million, Finding Nemo made about $40 million and Monsters, Inc. had trouble breaking $30 million. Seeing those number get smaller so quickly, I think it's fair to guess that Disney isn't that excited about spending money on converting movies to 3-D anymore.
I wish they'd try re-releasing a movie without the 3-D. At least that way, they'd save about $10 million on the conversion (at least that's the figure that I've seen quoted) and while they'd still have to spend money on a marketing campaign, etc., I can't believe that movies like The Little Mermaid or Attack Of The Clones or Revenge Of The Sith or most any Disney animated movie couldn't earn them a healthy profit.
Absolutely agreed. Money certainly had something to do with it, but I don't think that the dollars was the sole reason for the cancellations. With 3D becoming more prevalent with just about every movie these days and audiences knowing the 3D version will be on home video before long, it's no longer special. I'm sure the current slate of 3D movies coming from Disney put a strain on their ability to convert the way they want to do it; Oz is coming very soon, then Frozen, Monster's University, Iron Man 3, Thor 2. I'm not sure if Lone Ranger is going to be 3D or not, but that's a lot of films this year either filming in 3D or being post converted from one studio.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason_V
Absolutely agreed. Money certainly had something to do with it, but I don't think that the dollars was the sole reason for the cancellations. With 3D becoming more prevalent with just about every movie these days and audiences knowing the 3D version will be on home video before long, it's no longer special. I'm sure the current slate of 3D movies coming from Disney put a strain on their ability to convert the way they want to do it; Oz is coming very soon, then Frozen, Monster's University, Iron Man 3, Thor 2. I'm not sure if Lone Ranger is going to be 3D or not, but that's a lot of films this year either filming in 3D or being post converted from one studio.
Don't think it will be - couldn't find it listed as a 3D release...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks