What's new

Redray 4K Player With Odemax - The Next Big Thing? (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Source: http://www.gizmag.com/red-odemax-4k-distribution-network-redray/25267/

Quote:
Serial disruptor RED is at it again. While the announcement of a REDRAY player capable of outputting 4K (4096 x 2160 pixels) moving images had been expected for some time, the accompanying infrastructure that’s being put in place comes as a major shock. RED, in partnership with new venture Odemax, is setting up an alternative to the highly regulated and protected film distribution networks of the big studios – and anybody can join. If they can pull it off it could be nothing less than a revolution...

Seems like this has a chance - provided some content producers get on board and the price drops due to adoption. I'd love to see some of our studios like Twilight Time offering limited 4K releases using this technology. What does everyone think?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I would pass. I frankly don't see a difference in quality on 4K scans, at least not on displays up to 55", which is what I have. The only difference I see in 4K is in 3D applications, which IMO, look more "3D-ish".

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm a huge fan of what Jannard and crew are doing, but as a consumer I think people need to remember Red's tagline:
"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..." We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.
The official forums are illuminating in this regard: http://www.reduser.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?40-RED-RAY Specifically: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92888-Ted-talks-about-the-Red-Ray-and-HFR And: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?80988-NAB-2013
Assuming that the Mayan calendar doesn't hold water... you need to book your reservations for NAB 2013. Trust me... if anything I have ever said rings true, you need to be there. Jim
Tho that was from last JUNE.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Richard V said:
I frankly don't see a difference in quality on 4K scans, at least not on displays up to 55", which is what I have.
This isn't about 4K scans; it offers 4K final content.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Doctorossi said:
This isn't about 4K scans; it offers 4K final content.
Ok, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference? Not trying to be difficult, really don't understand.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Honestly, a good Blu-Ray at 1080p on my home projector crosses the 'good enough' threshold. It gets rid of the major deficiencies of SD DVDs, and can present a fairly film-like image. I might eventually consider a projector that upscaled 1080 input to 4k, but I'm done re-buying stuff.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Sam Posten said:
One is native 4k and the other is downconverted to 1080p for your disk media, throwing away 3 of every 4 pixels.
Ok, then, if I'm understanding this correctly, you'd have to get a new Ultra HD TV in order to see the full native 4K, right? Or am I wrong again?

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Richard V said:
Ok, then, if I'm understanding this correctly, you'd have to get a new Ultra HD TV in order to see the full native 4K, right? Or am I wrong again?
That's correct.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
One is native 4k and the other is downconverted to 1080p for your disk media, throwing away 3 of every 4 pixels.
4K to 2K (or 1080P) doesn't just "throw away 3 of every 4 pixels". If that's all that was involved with downconversions, you'd end up with nasty artifacts in the final 1080P image. Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks