-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Die Hard: 25th Anniversary Collection Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 of 38 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,536 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted February 11 2013 - 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cinemark 

Chances are when A Good Day...comes out on BD, they'll revamp the whole set and include that in.

Yeah well once again we in the UK get a censored film at the cinema as A Good Day To Die Hard has been heavily cut down for a 12A over here, i had no intention of going to the cinema to see it anyways but i hate studio's doing that just to improve its chances of making more money, i'll wait for the blu ray uncut release and hopefully Live Free and Die Hard ( named Die Hard 4.0 over here ) will be available in its unrated form too, sometimes i just think these studio's don't want my money.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#22 of 38 Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted February 12 2013 - 07:44 AM

I nearly got this on sale at BB, but quickly realized that I can wait for a actually decent box set after the fifth film is released. The first two films (the ones I really care about) have always never looked their best on any format. The current BDs aren't much improved over the 5 star and SE DVDs so I'm okay with waiting on those-especially if the 4K version of Die Hard is utilized. Hopefully they will also think to include original sound mixes, as the LaserDiscs of the first two are still fantastic experiences. DHWAV is perhaps my most hated DVD transfer of all time. Edge Enhanced to the point of madness, every person is a plastic faced mess, and you want to simply turn the film off every minute. The BD is such an improvement upon this that I couldn't care about any defects it may have.

#23 of 38 sross2

sross2

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 10:38 AM

Purchased them seperately from Best Buy to take advantage of the $10 movie cash offer (as I will be going to see it with my brothers). Die Hard 1 didnt play on my 250 GB Slim PS3 so I exchanged it thinking the disk was defective. The second one I tried still gives me the same issue: will not play. I have only tried Die Hard 3 and 4 and they work without any issue. I am considering calling a 1-800 number in my spare time to get this resolved. I'm glad I'm not the only one having an issue with this, and I am extremely disappointed!

#24 of 38 WillFS

WillFS

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 12:19 PM

I took my 25th Anniversary Die Hard collection back to Best Buy. They tried disc one (Die Hard) in two blue-ray players that they had set up in their Home Entertainment center. One was a Panasonic and one was a Sony. Both players failed to play the disc. Same as my two players at home. So, I exchanged the set for another 25th anniversary set. Before leaving the store, I gave them a try in the entertainment center and once again both players failed to play the first disc. So I ended up returning the set.

#25 of 38 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,144 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 13 2013 - 06:00 PM

Do people actually like the second film over the third?
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#26 of 38 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,197 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted February 13 2013 - 08:02 PM

I Do. imo the third film was the weakest of the 4...still fun tho.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#27 of 38 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,698 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 13 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'll always like Die Hard 2 for nostalgic reasons but I don't think it's aged very well and I think it's the weakest of the four. I like the third one quite a bit but without Samuel L. Jackson, it would have been in trouble.

#28 of 38 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,771 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 01:19 AM

So, despite the lack of the unrated cut for LFODH, is this set worth an upgrade from DVD? Amazon is having one hell of a sale today, and given the reviews of the fifth film, I don't think I will be missing anything by not having a slot for it in the box.

#29 of 38 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,040 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Favate 

So, despite the lack of the unrated cut for LFODH, is this set worth an upgrade from DVD? Amazon is having one hell of a sale today, and given the reviews of the fifth film, I don't think I will be missing anything by not having a slot for it in the box.

If you have the old silver box then I would say yes. Die Hard and ...With a Vengeance are vastly improved on their SD equivalents (far more so in the case of the latter) and Die Hard 2 doesn't look too shabby either.

#30 of 38 Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 03:31 AM

I'm surprised every time I see someone ask this. 2 was a bigger hit than the original, got much better reviews than 3 and yet there are lots of internet posters who think 3 is a much better film. I don't at all. I find it poorly directed and badly written, not to mention dull, and the worst of the series (yes I'd even rather watch 4). Of course I haven't seen 5 yet and by all indications it's far and away bad.

#31 of 38 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,144 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 14 2013 - 06:17 AM

I've always thought 3 was a better sequel to othe original with the tie in of the Grubers. I tend to forget the second film. Kind of like with Indiana Jones
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#32 of 38 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,489 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 12:20 PM

I just got off the phone with FoxConnect about the first disc not playing in some players. The representative was very polite, but he said he didn't know whether or not the studio had a solution to the problem. He of course asked if my player was up-to-date, but he also suggested "deleting the BD Data." I've looked at both my LG and Panasonic and can't find an option for this anywhere. I've searched around, and it seems to be related to local storage, but I don't have any, so that may not be an option.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#33 of 38 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,040 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 01:21 AM

I've always thought 3 was a better sequel to othe original with the tie in of the Grubers. I tend to forget the second film. Kind of like with Indiana Jones

Yeah if you watch the original three back to back 2 doesn't seem to fit in continuity wise.

#34 of 38 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,197 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted February 17 2013 - 01:34 AM

n

Strangely enough I prefer Temple Of Doom over The Last Crusade which I found to be a dull retread of the first Raiders. Ok, who' s gonna say that Jedi is better than Empire?:D
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#35 of 38 MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted February 17 2013 - 05:43 AM

Yeah if you watch the original three back to back 2 doesn't seem to fit in continuity wise.

Are you talking DIE HARD or INDIANA JONES?

#36 of 38 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,040 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 05:47 AM

Are you talking DIE HARD or INDIANA JONES?

Die Hard. I'm well aware that Temple is actually a prequel.

#37 of 38 MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted February 17 2013 - 06:13 AM

Gotcha. As far as those DIE HARD sequels go, I've always thought that the only story really worth tracking from piece to piece was the John/Holly relationship. The Grubers being tied into WITH A VENGEANCE was nice and all, but I like the McClane who is trying to save his marriage. It even turns out that Simon Gruber didn't much care for Hans Gruber. And it's the one that they unfortunately seem to have given up on. But in that regard, DIE HARDER seems to kind of fit if you look at them all as "A guy trying to fix his relationship and d-bag terrorists keep getting in the way on a semi-annual basis."

#38 of 38 bluirv

bluirv

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 07:33 PM

I have a newer Sony BDP-S5100 and Die Hard would not play, although I did get it to play on my Sony BDP-S3100 and an LG BP620.

Go figure???

Does Fox have a fix for this?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users