What's new

Cohen acquires Rohauer Library (1 Viewer)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Even though it's not one of my favorites, it's more Hitchcock on blu-ray, which is a good thing. I can't wait to see it in restored quality HD!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I haven't even seen Jamaica Inn. I tuned in to watch it on TV a few years ago and turned the channel...the print was almost unwatchable. But I have to say that I'm most excited for Fire Over England...more Vivien Leigh in HD!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The Cohen Film Group also has a catalog available in pdf format available for download of all of the acquired films from the Rohauer Library. On my wishlist for future blu-rays (aside from the press release highlights) include the following: All features connected with D.W. Griffith, Norma Talmadge, Douglas Fairbanks Sr, Paul Robeson, Harry Langdon, the early Harold Lloyd shorts and W.C. Fields shorts Also noteworthy are: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) Capital Punishment (1925) Salvation Hunters (1925) Lady Windermere’s Fan (1925) Glorifying the American Girl (1929) Alibi (1929) Corsair (1931) Puttin’ on the Ritz (1930) The Bad One (1930) The Old Dark House (1932) Forever and a Day (1943) The Flying Deuces (1939) The Southerner (1945) Lured (1947) The Long Night (1948) Sudden Fear (1952) Their British properties, most of which never found home video releases. However, the most anticipated are: Wings of the Morning (1937) Corridor of Mirrors (1948) Cast a Dark Shadow (1955) Expresso Bongo (1959) The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) and anything else connected with Val Guest.

Ignatius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hayden Frost
There's been some interesting discussion over on Criterion Forum about the history of the Rohauer Library itself, and it isn't pretty. The CF thread is here, and one of the posters links to a great book extract all about Rohauer's history and practices. While I'm sure that the films Cohen are releasing had good elements available I wouldn't be so sure about the rest of the catalogue. Those may be all the prints the Library contains but there's no telling what shape some of them are in, and there's absolutely no way that either Cohen or the Rohauer Library have the distribution rights for most of them. Vampyr? Caligari? No way. I'm interested to see what comes out of these initial Blu-Ray releases but I wouldn't get too excited about the rest of the catalogue yet.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, it didn't seem like much restoration work was done on many of these titles before the onset of blu-ray if earlier Kino home video releases were anything to go by However, the Cohen Media Group do seem keen on restoring this library as best they can rather than simply licensing existing masters. I don't doubt that some of these probably aren't in the best of shape and expecting all of these properties to get released is pure fantasy, this is still as good an opportunity than ever to get many of these restored and hopefully released on home video, particularly those overlooked by Kino and other distributors over the years.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was hoping for a Criterion Jamaica Inn since they've been doing fantastic work on the British Hitchcocks. I'll take what I can get. Is Cohen going to license any of these out? They mention having Harold Loyd films, I thought Criterion got those ones?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Russell G They mention having Harold Loyd films, I thought Criterion got those ones?
Criterion has the Harold Lloyd films that are licensed from the Harold Lloyd estate. These are the films in the New Line DVD box, which were also licensed from the estate.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Here is the first review I have seen of THE THIEF OF BAGDAD - looks good! http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Thief-of-Bagdad-Blu-ray/58234/#Review

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks