Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The 2013 American Idol #12 HTF RAF MEMORIAL TOP TEN CHALLENGE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 02:12 AM

And we're back!

With the dwindling interest in American Idol generally, I wonder how many participants there will be this year, but if we don't even start a challenge, the answer would most definitely be zero -- let's see how many jump in again on our annual attempt at least "suckage" (© Phil Taylor) Posted Image

On that note, if participation is really limited, e.g. say half-a-dozen, I'd suggest for kicks we have a second list where we deliberately try to "suck" as much as possible, i.e. score the highest points.  Basically we can play "vote for the worst" amongst ourselves as well.  We can discuss that additional option as placeholders start coming in this thread (or not...)

Now onto the Rules, which are mostly the same as before:-

The "Rules":

When the number of contestants is whittled down to the Final 10, entries will officially open.
 At that time you will be asked to submit a list of the order in which these top ten entrants will finish. Entries will close when the "Final 10" start to perform (at 8pm EST on Wednesday, March 13, 2013). Only ONE entry per member.

• List your top ten in numerical order (1-10). Please use the names as listed on the roster below (when posted).
  • Your list must be unique. No duplicate lists allowed. For duplicate lists, first submission gets that list.
  • Once you submit a list, it is FINAL. No edited lists are allowed (unless your original list is invalid due to a mistake or a duplication.)
  • Scoring is as follows: You are assigned 1 point for each position that your prediction is away from the final position of each contestant. For example, if you predict a contestant to come in 3rd and he or she comes in 7th you get 4 points. If that contestant comes in 12th you get 9 points. A 2nd place finish gets you 1 point. And so forth.
  • [*] Lowest total points wins (with a score of 0 points being the best possible score.)
  • In the event of a tie the contest winner will be the entrant who was the fewest spots away from picking the winner. If it's still a tie, then we'll move down the list and determine who was closest to predicting the second spot, and so on, until the tie is eventually broken.
  • Members of the HTF staff and their significant others are eligible to participate, but only for glory and not for the prize package. All other members of the HTF community in good standing may enter and compete for the prize.

Entries close at 8:00p.m. EST on Wednesday, March 13, 2013. No exceptions please.

Here are a couple of words of explanation regarding this particular contest and the rationale behind the setup.

• American Idol, as many of these reality shows, is known for its unpredictability so it is quite possible that an ousted "survivor" might return. This is quite possible, with the Judge's Save rule being in force, and having been used previously.  One season, two contestants were voted off the same night so instead of a "5th" and "6th" position we decided to assign two "5.5" positions for the purposes of scoring. That's why the rules clearly specify the "final" position of ouster for each contestant. It's not over until it's over, and who knows what twists this season will bring? Or if it's a Final 13 (or whatever), entries open when that Final xx is confirmed and close when they start performing.  And if there are unforeseen circumstances we will make a determination that will be fair to all entrants as much as possible. (Otherwise we will return your entry fee Posted Image ).

There are probably other things that we haven't thought of but we can deal with them as the show progresses. The one thing that I ask of all entrants (other than making sure that their list is unique) is that you follow the following format when submitting your entry:

01. Contestant
02. Contestant
03. Contestant
04. Contestant
05. Contestant
06. Contestant
07. Contestant
08. Contestant
09. Contestant
10. Contestant

--------------------------------------------------

Some specific caveats because I'm organising and not RAF as in years past:-

1. As is obvious from my "location", I don't live in the US; my timezone is 13 hrs ahead of EST, and AI is broadcast "the next day" at prime time here, in effect during the morning after each show has already been aired in the US.  So as not to spoil my enjoyment of the show (such as it is), I trust you will not begrudge allowing me to view the shows spoiler-free in my timezone, but this means I cannot compile results until the next day after I have viewed the results show.  So unless you do your own calculations, you won't get an updated leaderboard immediately.

2. I am clueless with Excel, so can't provide spreadsheets as Robert did and I just compile results manually.  I would be most grateful if participants could please check your own results for any math errors on my part, just in case: I do my best, but I'm not an accountant... Posted Image

3. I am not a moderator so I can't 'acknowledge' receipt of your predictions by editing your post to mark them as having been submitted (since I can't edit other members' posts).  What I'll do instead is keep a list of participants in the next post, which I will edit as we go along once entries have been recorded by me, by noting that the participant's entry has already been entered.

As before, please submit a PLACEHOLDER in this thread so we can see what sort of response we're getting to this year's challenge; hopefully it'll match last year's participation.  Once you reach the point of submitting your entry, you can modify the "placeholder" post to submit your entry, but note that it's still first-come first-serve insofar as entries are concerned and an earlier-posted placeholder has no effect.

I think that covers it, but if there's anything I'm sure we can reach a consensus as to how to deal with unforeseen issues.  And if we can't, HTF moderators have the final say.

#2 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 02:13 AM

List of AI finalists:-

01. Paul

02. Burnell

03. Curtis

04. Devin

05. Lorenzo

06. Candice

07. Janelle

08. Angie

09. Amber

10. Kree

and of challenge participants:-

Yee Ming (entry recorded)

Aaron Silverman (entry recorded)
Patrick Sun (entry recorded)

Phil Taylor (entry recorded)

Nolan J (entry recorded)

NYSandy (entry recorded)

MattCR (entry recorded)

#3 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 02:13 AM

My entry:-

01. Angie

02. Candice

03. Devin
04. Curtis
05. Janelle
06. Amber
07. Burnell
08. Kree 09. Paul
10. Lorenzo

#4 of 41 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,380 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 31 2013 - 03:46 AM

Sure, what the heck. RAF lives! :) 1. Kree 2. Angie 3. Burnell 4. Candice 5. Devin 6. Curtis 7. Lazaro 8. Amber 9. Paul 10. Janelle OK, I still haven't watched since the auditions, but I read some blurbs on the singers on the MTV site. :)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 41 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 05:00 AM

Placeholder (just for bragging rights or wrongs). Found it sort of tough to rank them this season, just have no clue as to who will catch fire with the voting audience. 01. Devin Velez 02. Angie Miller 03. Burnell Taylor 04. Curtis Finch Jr 05. Candice Glover 06. Janelle Arthur 07. Lazaro Arbos 08. Kree Harrison 09. Paul Jolley 10. Amber Holcomb
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 41 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 06:45 AM

Place held for suckage list... :P AND...... Annual Suckage lineup ready to be shredded by "Ameica's Vote". :cool: 01. Janelle 02. Angie 03. Burnell 04. Amber 05. Kree 06. Devin 07. Candice 08. Lazaro 09. Curtix 10. Paul Let the carnage begin! :P

#7 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 08:13 PM

Not absolutely sure how many weeks to go, but since Ryan said the top 20 gets reduced to a top 10, I'd guess entries open next week!

Come on folks, as RAF used to say, "you've got to be in it to win it!"  And a nice friendly competition adds interest to your AI viewing all around -- assuming you still watch AI, that is...  Posted Image

#8 of 41 NolanJ

NolanJ

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 07:40 PM

01. Candice Glover 02. Angie Miller 03. Burnell Taylor 04. Janelle Arthur 05. Kree Harrison 06. Curtis Finch Jr 07. Lazaro Arbos 08. Amber Holcomb 09. Paul Jolley 10. Devin Velez

#9 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 05:00 AM

And we're off!  Entries now open!  And no worries if you haven't put a placeholder, just post your predictions!

The AI producers threw us a slight curveball: instead of having a Final 12/13, they've gone straight to a Final 10.  Which means we must place all 10 in our predictions, and don't drop anyone off our lists.  This does change the dynamic of the challenge a bit, but listing all 10 is IMHO clearly the better way forward, rather than tweaking it to predicting the Top 8 and omitting two names.  Any strong objections, please let me know.  And notwithstanding Ryan's reference to a sing-off for an additional spot on the AI Tour, I'm assuming the Top 10 do indeed perform next week, so our challenge closes 8pm EST on Wednesday, March 13.

Now that we actually have to think about it, I must confess I'm baffled.  While IMHO Curtis and Devin are far away the best male singers technically, this show has never been just about that.  And the other predictor that has held true for 5 straight season, "a WGWG will win it" is out the window -- there's only one WG and he doesn't appear to play guitar... and he's just not that great a singer either.

On the girls' side of the equation, Candice and Amber are good powerful singers, but the other three hold their own as well and have different characteristics that appeal to different voters, e.g. Janelle is the sole country singer so she locks in the country vote, Kree could go for rock-chick, while Angie is both singer-songwriter (literally) as well as being potentially the only cute teeny-bopper.

It'll be interesting!

#10 of 41 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 08:21 AM

Annual Suckage lineup ready to be shredded by "Ameica's Vote" and placeholder edited with fodder. :patriot:

#11 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted March 13 2013 - 05:11 AM

Calling Aaron and Patrick: your entries are due!

And of course, anyone else who wants to participate but hasn't posted in this thread before is most welcome to do so!  Just get your entry in before the performance show starts!

#12 of 41 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted March 13 2013 - 10:07 AM

I'm in!
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#13 of 41 NYSandy

NYSandy

Extra

• 23 posts
  • LocationWestchester County, NY

Posted March 13 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi ... I remember RAF working on this contest so since I've been watching a little Idol I thought I would participate....here is my list: 1-Angie 2-Kree 3-Jenelle 4-Paul 5-Candice 6-Amber 7-Lazaro 8-Devin 9-Curtis 10-Burnell Thanks Yee... I know it is work, it brings back nice memories. Sandy

#14 of 41 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 13 2013 - 12:59 PM

01. Angie

02. Devin

03. Curtis
04. Candice
05. Burnell
06. Janell
07. Amber
08. Kree
09. Paul
10. Lorenzo

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#15 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 02:20 AM

Entries now (obviously) closed; sorry I couldn't do the necessary housekeeping earlier, but 8pm ET was 9am the next morning for me and I was busy with work.

A very warm welcome back to NY Sandy, RAF's other half!  I think I speak for all of us in saying that we all miss RAF too.  And welcome MattCR too!

It's a smaller challenge this year, just the seven of us: let's see who sucks the least!

#16 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 02:26 AM

One other thing to apologise for in advance: I'm away this weekend, so can't post results till I get back on Monday evening (Monday morning ET).  So no, I wouldn't have forgotten about our challenge in just the first week already, I'm just indisposed.

#17 of 41 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 14 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hah.  I am shot in the first week.   That was pretty surprising.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#18 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 08:10 AM

Oof, with the migration, it's already been two weeks.  I'll post each week's results separately so we can still see how our Challenge progresses.

With Curtis being eliminated, Phil and NY Sandy were just one place off, and now lead the pack:-

Phil Taylor 01

NY Sandy 01

NolanJ 04

Aaron Silverman 04

Patrick 06

Yee Ming 06

MattCR 07

Matt unfortunately placed Curtis quite high and took a 7-pt hit for his troubles.  Patrick and I weren't that much better off.

In retrospect, while Curtis is a good singer, for some reason he doesn't seem very likable -- I placed him high solely on his technical ability, even as I felt some bad vibes coming off him.  Too cocky?  Can't quite place it, the point is that I just didn't get the warm and fuzzies from him.

#19 of 41 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 08:18 AM

Bye bye Paul!  No surprise there, and indeed FIVE of us got this spot-on, which surely must be some sort of a record.  

Phil Taylor 02

NolanJ04

Aaron Silverman 04

NYSandy 06

Patrick 06

Yee Ming 06

MattCR 07

Sorry Sandy, you got this way off.  Phil, for all your talk of suckage, right now you're doing really well!  Bottom two swapped around for just 2 points, the top 8 intact for minimal further losses; whereas in contrast, e.g. Nolan and Aaron will take higher hits the further Devin and Janelle respectively progress in this.

#20 of 41 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:13 PM

Place held for suckage list... :P AND...... Annual Suckage lineup ready to be shredded by "Ameica's Vote".

01. Janelle

02. Angie

03. Burnell

04. Amber

05. Kree

06. Devin

07. Candice

08. Lazaro

09. Curtix

10. Paul

Let the carnage begin! :P

Quoted and edited to reduce suckage of the new forum formatting of my original list (din't see a way to edit my original post) --- and don't worry it's way early yet - there's still time for plenty of suckage.... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users