Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Toshiba & Magnavox the only companies making DVD Recorders for the U.S. Consumer Market?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,915 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 07:57 PM

I heard the whole copy-protection thing with cable/sat was turning the manufactuers off of making new models for the U.S. Market, but all of a sudden it seems Toshiba and Magnavox recorders/combo units are the only ones left. The Toshiba DR430 DVD recorder is the only stand-alone recorder,for example - available everywhere it . Are DVD recorders going the way of Betamax?!!

#2 of 6 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,823 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 30 2013 - 08:16 PM

Networked digital(cough, hack...cough) back-up(hack cough) storage (cough sneeze) is the wave(cough hack) of the future...(Cough, cough)

#3 of 6 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,915 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:27 AM

In all seriousness, is DVD recording going to become a niche like LD players were,for instance.

#4 of 6 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 08:37 AM

It already is if you're thinking in terms of time-shifting. About the only use for them now is transferring old VHS recordings you've made yourself onto dvd. Any tape with copy protection won't work.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#5 of 6 Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 507 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:38 AM

Recording for time shifting is extremely popular and profitable for cable/satellite user friendly to record shows to watch at a time our your convenience. If you are interested in recording documentaries to make a copy for permanent retention then you would need a standalone DVD Recorder with a hard drive. The recorders come with editing software that allows you to edit out the commercials. The recorders record video in 480i with audio in 2 channel stereo. They cost $400+ for an international DVD recorder you can purchase from 220 Electronics or World Import. The answer to your question is no DVD recorders have not gone the way of the Laser Disc. They have been replaced by a superior product called a DVR. DVR's provide hassle-free time shifting.

#6 of 6 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 03:46 AM

^^^I actually had such a dvr/dvd recorder combo unit years ago. I'd record shows on my HD DirecTV dvr, dump them into the dvr on the recorder, edit out commercials and then record to dvd. I could even make anamorphic dvd copies of HD shows with it and get pretty decent SD copies. Blu Ray spoiled this scheme for me--I'd rather buy a season of something on BD than go to all that trouble for an SD copy.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users