What's new

Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Flyghnhigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Max Pain!
I have a system where my subwoofer has no power cord. On the back of it there are eight speaker ports for the other 5 speakers. The system is a genesis media labs g6.1 I know its a knockoff brand . I have had them for two years. I have read there are a few people here who have the same ones I do. My receiver is a kenwood VRS-N8100. Someone please tell me how to hook it up.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You are going to have to post pictures of the back of this subwoofer and this Kenwood. Even if I could find info from a "Genesis website", I'm not downloading anything for fear of catching a virus.

Flyghnhigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Max Pain!
I'll get all the info an some pics thanx.....Worst case scenario could I buy a different subwoofer (different brand) and use My existing speakers off that. Cuz I'm not about mickey mousing anything.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Flyghnhigh
I'll get all the info an some pics thanx.....Worst case scenario could I buy a different subwoofer (different brand) and use My existing speakers off that. Cuz I'm not about mickey mousing anything.
Chances are pretty good that you simply won't be able to use those speakers with a "real" receiver.
"Real" speakers each connect individually to the back of your receiver using speaker wire. They should NOT all connect to a subwoofer which in turn, is the only piece actually connected to the receiver.
Simply plugging your speakers into the back of the receiver (instead of the subwoofer) MAY damage the receiver if each speaker's impedance (in ohms) is lower than 6. Low impedance is very likely for these knock-off systems.
Really, the safest/best thing you can do is ditch them and pick up a different budget set of speakers. A quick search on Amazon found the Polk RM 705 5.1 system for $200. This isn't a great system by any stretch of the imagination, but it WILL work and it WILL sound better than the stuff you have now.

Flyghnhigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Max Pain!
Thank you very much for the info. Well at least I have pretty kindling. I am gonna save and get a decent set. Thanks again.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK, I found the manual for that Kenwood (here)...
It will work with a powered subwoofer (there's a pre-out for it) and it will work with 8 ohm speakers (so the set I linked above will work) however they use plastic speaker wire terminals to plug into the proprietary-looking speaker jacks on the back of the unit. If you are missing these little plastic connector things, then you're SOL.
Even worse, the Kenwood only draws 95 watts from the wall. TOTAL. Subtract a modest amount (15-20W) of that for non-audio functions, divide the rest by 5 and you get (at most) 15 watts per channel. You DEFINITELY don't want to hook up a passive subwoofer/speaker system to this thing.
I guess the bottom line is, don't hold your breath for much from this system no matter what you do.

Phillip83

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip
Hello I have a white optavision lcd HDMI 80 3d compatible projector. I bought a Samsung 3d Blu ray player and 4 active samsung 3d glasses and 4 3d movies. I hooked it up via HDMI and I cannot get the 3d to work on my optavision projector. Can someone please help?? Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Phillip83 said:
Hello I have a white optavision lcd HDMI 80 3d compatible projector. I bought a Samsung 3d Blu ray player and 4 active samsung 3d glasses and 4 3d movies. I hooked it up via HDMI and I cannot get the 3d to work on my optavision projector. Can someone please help?? Thanks
You bought a non-3D crappy projector.

Flyghnhigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Max Pain!
Right on thanks for the response. I'm gonna spend time and buy decent gear Thank's all. Lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks