-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Robert Harris-produced THE GRIFTERS is coming to Blu-ray.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,475 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 06:59 AM

Bill Hunt reported on thedigitalbits that it was coming from Echo Bridge Home Entertainment along with many other Miramax titles. Sure enough, it is available at Amazon.com for $5.99 with an estimated release of May 2013. This is the film that made me love Annette Bening, but, for such a low price, what exactly are we getting?

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#2 of 18 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,132 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 30 2013 - 07:12 AM

It's currently available at Best Buy as an exclusive. Echo Bridge's track record is mediocre at best.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 18 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 30 2013 - 07:58 AM

Wow. That is the same Robert A. Harris. I didn't know he was a film producer in addition to being a archivist. I wonder if he got any say in the Blu-ray transfer of his own film? I'm guessing not. :(

#4 of 18 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:49 AM

The Grifters is a much better film than many of its contemporaries already on blu. I wonder why it isn't getting a major studio release? One interesting aspect of it is that, in the film, John Cusak tries pulling a scam where he shows a bartender a $20 bill to order a drink, but then hands him a lower denomination bill in hopes that the bartender will make change as if it was $20. I had never heard of that scam before, but recently I was watching Love in Bloom with the future Dixie Crosby, and she tries the same scam (and succeeds), it made me wonder if it was related.

#5 of 18 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,702 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 30 2013 - 10:01 AM

I would consider this modern day noir masterpiece. I've always loved the film. It's deserving of Criterion, not Echo Bridge. I'll wait for Mr. Harris's review before committing to it.

#6 of 18 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 10:11 AM

Wow, that is an exceedingly low price, for what was a fairly high profile movie.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#7 of 18 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,132 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes 

The Grifters is a much better film than many of its contemporaries already on blu. I wonder why it isn't getting a major studio release? One interesting aspect of it is that, in the film, John Cusak tries pulling a scam where he shows a bartender a $20 bill to order a drink, but then hands him a lower denomination bill in hopes that the bartender will make change as if it was $20. I had never heard of that scam before, but recently I was watching Love in Bloom with the future Dixie Crosby, and she tries the same scam (and succeeds), it made me wonder if it was related.

It's part of the Miramax library, which is currently licensed in two parts, one to Lionsgate, and one to Echo Bridge. This specific film is licensed to the latter.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 18 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 30 2013 - 12:12 PM

I always liked this movie, even though the ending was a punch in the gut. Back before it was released, I was pulled into some marketing research for its television advertising campaign. They showed several versions of a commercial and asked me questions about them. All I know is that the final version I saw on TV was the one I liked the most, the one that mentioned Martin Scorsese as producer. Glad to see RAH represented on Blu again!

#9 of 18 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,104 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 30 2013 - 05:28 PM

Of course, it's been available on Blu-ray for ages from the UK.

#10 of 18 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,436 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:48 PM

This is the film that made me love Annette Bening, but, for such a low price, what exactly are we getting?

A chap on another forum says the transfer is surprisingly good (which, I admit, means nothing at all), but the commentary track, the 'making of' and 'The Jim Thompson Story' have apparently been carried forward from the SE DVD unlike the UK edition which has zero supplements.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#11 of 18 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,111 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted January 31 2013 - 01:16 AM

Always loved this film. I own the Region locked UK release. Curious if the image quality is different. I know the UK blu has 5.1 DTS HD audio where as I've heard the Echo Bridge has 2.0 DTS HD. Doesn't mean you get a lot of surround, I would guess it helps the films score sound better. The movie gets better everytime I see it. I usually save it for a hot summer night. I also own the films score CD. The US BLU has some extras including the audio commentary track. (Which is one reason I may pick it up)

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#12 of 18 FanboyZ

FanboyZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 08:36 AM

If there is a choice between Echo Bridge and Studio Canal, then the choice is clear.

#13 of 18 moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 09:46 AM

but then hands him a lower denomination bill in hopes that the bartender will make change as if it was $20. I had never heard of that scam before, but recently I was watching Love in Bloom with the future Dixie Crosby, and she tries the same scam (and succeeds), it made me wonder if it was related.

Where have you been? People have been trying this trick for years. When I lived in Lincoln Park/Mi in the early 1970s a cousin worked after school in Colonel Sanders. People were trying that on all the time. I had person leave my shop in the 90s and was with another person. I saw then have a quick chat outside and one came back and said I short changed them. I refused as they only gave me $5 in the first place and I had it right there. Some supermarkets used to have a clip on the register drawer and large notes were placed there until the change was given. Also avoids the salesperson giving the original payment tendered along with the change to the customer. I believe in Maccas & the Colonel the person on the register is responsible for shortfalls in the drawer at the end of the shift which would be seen as a bit unfair under the circumstances. Anyway Tatum O'Neill tired this trick in one of her early movies.

#14 of 18 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 12:25 PM

If you enjoy this movie, I highly suggest reading Jim Thompson's novels. The Grifters is pretty good, After Dark, My Sweet is awesome, and The Killer Inside Me is a sick, twisted masterpiece.

#15 of 18 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,144 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted January 31 2013 - 01:57 PM

Had the pleasure of a brief chat with the esteemed Mr. H. He was unaware that the disc was on sale though Best Buy, and I believe he is going to grab a copy in the near future so hopefully we will get a few words on the matter before long. I was amused to note that they misspelled one of the producer's names, which RAH tells me is the same mistake that was made on an earlier poster...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#16 of 18 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,132 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein 

I was amused to note that they misspelled one of the producer's names, which RAH tells me is the same mistake that was made on an earlier poster...

Not that surprising. A company like Echo Bridge isn't gonna spend a lot of money on proofing, especially when they have a source (older poster) they consider reliable by default.

#17 of 18 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,442 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 03:36 PM

Other movies that are coming out with the Grifters by Echo Bridge are Heaven Fresh Full Frontal Hoax Nameless She's So Lovely Teaching Mrs. Tingle Jersey Girl Fortress Committed

all-banner.jpg

#18 of 18 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,817 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 06:22 AM

Always loved this film. I own the Region locked UK release. Curious if the image quality is different. I know the UK blu has 5.1 DTS HD audio where as I've heard the Echo Bridge has 2.0 DTS HD. Doesn't mean you get a lot of surround, I would guess it helps the films score sound better. The movie gets better everytime I see it. I usually save it for a hot summer night. I also own the films score CD. The US BLU has some extras including the audio commentary track. (Which is one reason I may pick it up)

I thought the old DVD was also 2.0 surround(?), so I went ahead and picked it up yesterday (and actually watched it). Not a great transfer, but a worthwhile enough upgrade, IMHO, especially for the budget ~$6 price, under the circumstance. I figured this will at least allow me to trade in the old DVD for some other BD purchase at Best Buy during their next U&S promo offer, which would effectively turn this into a ~$1 upgrade price. :D Almost picked up Music of the Heart too while I was there, but that one also only has a 2.0 surround track according to its backcover -- and I couldn't find any reviews/comments for it -- while the old DVD had a 5.1 track, so figured I should just wait and see... _Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users