Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shout Factory Press Release: Police Story/Police Story II (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 05:28 AM

POLICE STORY / POLICE STORY II

ACTION-PACKED DOUBLE FEATURE PRESENTATION

TWO ADRENALINE PUMPING ACTION CLASSICS

STARRING WORLD RENOWNED MARTIAL ARTS SENSATION JACKIE CHAN

AND INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED ACTRESS MAGGIE CHEUNG

UNLEASHED TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY™ AND IN A SPECIAL DVD COLLECTION

IN STORES EVERYWHERE ON APRIL 16, 2013

FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

Pre-Order This Highly Anticipated Home Entertainment Collection Today!

International superstar and cultural icon Jackie Chan is a master of action and comedy. Chan’s illustrious film career ranks as one of the most amazing success stories in the entertainment industry. His movies continue to have an enduring impact throughout the world. On April 16, 2013, Shout! Factory will unleash POLICE STORYand POLICE STORY II  Double Feature deluxe Blu-ray™ and DVD. Boasting world renowned international film stars and pulse-pounding action sequences, these two highly regarded world cinema classics debut in a double feature movie presentation on Blu-ray™ in North America. A must-have for loyal fans, collectors and movie enthusiasts, own two of popular Jackie Chan cult hits on Blu-ray at an attractive price of $19.97 SRP. The special double feature DVD has a suggested retail price of $12.99.  

Pre-order for Police Story and Police Story II Double Feature Collection is available now on Amazon.com andShoutFactory.com

POLICE STORY

Considered, and rightly so, a Hong Kong action cinema classic, Police Story marks Jackie Chan’s initial foray into the stunt-filled action movie that became his trademark. Chan plays an honest cop Chan Ka-Kui assigned to protect a witness whose key testimony could bring down the drug baron, Chu. However, when the witness gets away from Chan, there’s no evidence to put Chu away, and he is set free. Chu goes on a vendetta to frame Chan for a murder. Chan goes on the run. He must quickly find the witness to protect her and prove his own innocence.

POLICE STORY II

Picking up where the first film ended, Police Story II returns Jackie Chan to the role of detective Chan Ka-Kui. Due to his unorthodox police work on the last case, Chan has been demoted to traffic duty…and the vengeful mobsters still have their sights on taking him down. But when terrorists threaten Hong Kong, Chan must track down the suspects. And when his girlfriend May is kidnapped by the terrorists, Chan must confront them, save his girlfriend and save the day as only Jackie Chan can.

RAYMOND CHOW presents “POLICE STORY” Starring JACKIE CHAN  BRIGETTE LIN  MAGGIE CHEUNG

Co-Starring CHO YUEN  BILL TUNG  KENNETH TONG  LAM KOK HUNG  LAU CHI WING  CHARLES CHAO

Music by MICHAEL LAI Editor PETER CHEUNG

Director of Photography CHEUNG YIU JOE Screenplay by JACKIE CHAN, EDWARD TANG Production Coordinator WILLIE CHAN

Action Director JACKIE CHAN’S STUNTMEN ASSOCIATION

Executive Producer RAYMOND CHOW Produced by LEONARD HO Directed by JACKIE CHAN

---------

RAYMOND CHOW presents “POLICE STORY II” Starring JACKIE CHAN  MAGGIE CHEUNG  BILL TUNG LAM KOK HUNG

Co-Starring CHO YUEN  CRYSTAL KWOK  LEUNG WAN YUI  BEN LAM  TAI CHI WAI

Music by MICHAEL LAI Editor PETER CHEUNG , KEUNG CHUEN TAK, SHEK CHI KONG

Director of Photography CHEUNG YIU JOE, LEE YAU TONG Screenplay by JACKIE CHAN, EDWARD TANG

Action Director JACKIE CHAN’S STUNTMAN ASSOCIATION Producer LEONARD HO Production Supervisor WILLIE CHAN

Directed by JACKIE CHAN

POLICE STORY/ POLICE STORY II Double Feature Special Bonus Content:

• Outtakes
  • Theatrical Trailers
Audio: English 5.1, Cantonese 5.1

Subtitles: English

1985/1988/Color/Police Story – 100 mins./Police Story II – 122 mins.

About Shout! Factory

Shout! Factory, LLC is a diversified multi-platform entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering, preserving and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their entire careers sharing their music, television and film favorites with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory’s DVD and Blu-Ray™ offerings serve up feature films, classic and contemporary TV series, animation, live music and comedy specials in lavish packages crammed with extras.  Shout’s audio division boasts GRAMMY®-nominated box sets, new releases from storied artists, lovingly assembled album reissues and indispensable “best of” compilations.  In addition, Shout! Factory maintains a vast digital distribution network which delivers video and audio content to all the leading digital service providers in North America.  Shout! Factory also owns and operates Timeless Media Group, Biograph Records, Majordomo Records, HighTone Records, and Video Time Machine. These riches are the result of a creative acquisition mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention.  Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit shoutfactory.com

#          #          #

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted January 30 2013 - 07:34 AM

Nice to see these being released at an attractive price point, but will the transfers be up to snuff? Pity there's no original audio either. As for the films, not only are they action classics, but surprisingly good films as well that have an enormous amount of heart. The sequel may even be better than the first.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,035 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'll wait for a review but you're right, at that price point they're pretty irresistible. I hope these fair better then the Protector disc from this month that sounded kind of dodgy.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 11:02 AM

They are using the masters from Fortune Star, so there is a 99.999% chance that these will be upscales (like the Crime Story/The Protector double feature.)

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   FanboyZ

FanboyZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 01:35 PM

Cliff MacMillan when confronted about the Jackie Chan debacle: Fanboyz Zolly Becker "What's with the Jackie Chan set? Why even bother, selling SD fortune star transfers on a blu ray is seemingly dishonest. I expect this from lesser companies than shout." cmac Cliff Macmillan Shout Factory Insider "These are the master furnished to us by Fortune Star. I questioned them regarding them being uprez SD transfers and they told me "no, they were transfers done in Canada a few years ago". It's bad business to say "Sorry, all the fan boys say you are lying that these are SD masters" Should I contact them and tell them they are liars?" Fanboyz Zolly Becker "No you are a liar". cmac Cliff MacMillan "You are a rude jerk." ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This should cast a big doubt on everything Cliff MacMillan does from now on, he is not honest or decent.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 05:17 PM

Or...you are a rude jerk. Cliff has always been upfront about sources being adequate or not for bd releases. Perhaps they were contractually obliged to deliver bds for the titles, but Cliff has always been honest and straightforward when dealing with fans and the releases he works on.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 05:45 PM

Cliff MacMillan when confronted about the Jackie Chan debacle: Fanboyz Zolly Becker "What's with the Jackie Chan set? Why even bother, selling SD fortune star transfers on a blu ray is seemingly dishonest. I expect this from lesser companies than shout." cmac Cliff Macmillan Shout Factory Insider "These are the master furnished to us by Fortune Star. I questioned them regarding them being uprez SD transfers and they told me "no, they were transfers done in Canada a few years ago". It's bad business to say "Sorry, all the fan boys say you are lying that these are SD masters" Should I contact them and tell them they are liars?" Fanboyz Zolly Becker "No you are a liar". cmac Cliff MacMillan "You are a rude jerk." ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This should cast a big doubt on everything Cliff MacMillan does from now on, he is not honest or decent.

The first post from him seems factual as far as we would know. That second post from him certainly sounds honest enough. :)
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 06:44 PM

The problem is Fortune Star, not Cliff or Shout Factory.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Stoney Jackson

Stoney Jackson

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 11:12 PM

I for one can't wait for this set. I picked up the Crime Story / Protector disc, really just for Crime Story. It looks better than any release that is available. It's also a great movie. Yes it stinks that these less-than-HD masters are all Shout has to work with, but it is what it is. If these discs sell well and it gets Shout to license some other Hong Kong movies (with actual High Def master) then that would be great. As for Police Story 1 and 2, I was going to get the ridiculously over priced imports from HK. Now I can get them both for less than I would have paid for one of them! It's too bad Shout couldn't have gotten permission to use the Japanese version that is a true HD master that was recently released and added English subs to it. That would have been really cool.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 11:22 PM

The problem is Fortune Star, not Cliff or Shout Factory.

With few exceptions, one being Criterion, licensed product, at least in its basic form, is a "we license it, you can take it or leave it" situation. In the majority of cases, I have been extremely pleased with the product from The Factories. They're a class act. By basic form, I refer to the potential for a bit of clean-up. But beyond that, product is generally locked as delivered. The Catch 22 here, is that on occasion, the licensee is forced to promote product before they see it. And that can become a problem. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 01:15 AM

SD video is a no-go for me, but that's the second hurdle. I already checked out of this release at 'no original audio'. These are fun movies and it saddens me that this release appears to be such a useless turd, whoever is to blame.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,035 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 31 2013 - 02:56 AM

fortune Star have always been crummy as far as quality goes. At least Shout is charging accordingly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users