Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kino Classics Press Release: White Zombie (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,255 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 07:22 AM

Kino Classics Releases the 1932 cult classic White Zombie, starring Bela Lugosi, on Blu-ray and DVD

Posted Image  

HD Restoration from Archival 35mm Elements

New York, NY - January 29, 2013 - Kino Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray and DVD release of the 1932 cult classic White Zombie, starring legendary horror film icon Bela Lugosi in one of his most famous roles. One of the earliest films dealing with the Haitian zombie myth (which would eventually transform into one of the most enduring subgenres of the horror film), White Zombie is a chance for audiences to see Bela Lugosi in one of his finest roles.

The film streets today on Blu-ray and DVD, with a SRP of $29.95 for the Blu-ray and $24.95 for the DVD. Both come mastered in HD from a 35mm fine grain master, and are presented in a dual edition that includes both a digitally-restored version, as well as the raw, unenhanced film transfer (with natural grain intact). This release also features an audio commentary by film historian Frank Thompson. Other special features include "Intimate Interviews" (1932), a 6-minute interview with Bela Lugosi (mastered in HD from 35mm elements), and a 1951 theatrical reissue trailer.

Posted Image

After becoming an overnight success with his starring role in Tod Browning's Dracula, Bela Lugosi struggled to find roles worthy of his acting talent, without parodying his depiction of Bram Stoker's notorious count.
Independently produced by Edward Halperin, White Zombie was one of the rare films that provided Lugosi with just such an opportunity. In spite of its budgetary limitations,White Zombie manages to be a remarkably atmospheric treatment of the Haitian zombie myth, which would evolve into one of the most popular and enduring subgenres of the horror film.
This Kino Classics edition, produced by Holland Releasing, has been mastered in HD from a 35mm fine grain print and is presented in both a digitally restored and an unenhanced version (with the natural film grain intact).

Posted Image 

Special Features 

*Mastered in HD from a 35mm fine grain master
*Dual edition includes both a digitally restored version as well as the raw, unenhanced film transfer
* Audio commentary by film historian Frank Thompson

*"Intimate Interviews"(1932), a 6-minute interview with Bela Lugosi, mastered in HD from 35mm elements
*1951 theatrical re-issue trailer

U.S. 1932 B&W 67 Min. 1.33:1 2.0 Mono 1920x1080p 

White Zombie

Director: Victor Halperin

Genre: Horror

Blu-ray SRP: $29.95

DVD SRP: $24.95

Street date: January 29, 2013

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,976 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 29 2013 - 08:26 AM

This enhanced/non enhanced with natural grain stuff has me worried. I'm going to wait for a review.

Someone send this to Mr. Harris, STAT!

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 29 2013 - 08:52 AM

Reviews have essentially been: ignore the "enhanced version", but the "raw" version is the best the film has ever looked on home video (which, due to its public domain status, has seen numerous poor releases).

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/56753/#Review

http://www.dvdbeaver...bie_blu-ray.htm

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 08:55 AM

I wish this was an option on more titles - I'd love to get a "raw" Bond set.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 29 2013 - 09:21 AM

If I were to guess what happened on this title (and this is wholly a guess), I imagine that Kino got the "enhanced" version from the company they licensed from and were rather disappointed with the results. Fortunately they were able to release the "raw" version as a "bonus" on the disc. I would guess they'd like to emphasize it more than that but were probably prohibited to do so for contractual reasons (i.e, they had to promote the version licensed). They had a few shorts on the Keaton Shorts Collection with the same enhanced/non-enhanced options.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 29 2013 - 02:58 PM

I was really excited about this release until I read DVD Savant thoughts on it. I will hold off http://www.dvdtalk.c.../s4071zomb.html
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,976 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 30 2013 - 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

I was really excited about this release until I read DVD Savant thoughts on it. I will hold off

http://www.dvdtalk.c.../s4071zomb.html

Yeash, sounds like a mess. I'll wait for this to hit some kind of sale if I get it at all. I never did see this one, always been waiting for a definitive release. I guess I have to wait longer. :S

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:21 AM

This is a terribly frustrating release. Too bad they couldn’t have done a third version that was sort of in the middle of the restored and raw. I am no expert on presenting these old films with iffy elements on BluRay, but the restored version looks like what stills look like if I try to correct them with my small photoshop program and hit the Auto Smart Fix button. It usually screws things up more. And I have more luck if I individually correct elements by eye. The sound for the raw version is just that, scratchy sound, all kinds of ticks and bumps in the track and a fairly high hiss level. The restored version cleans it up considerably and I think an improvement. The picture on the raw version has a lot more detail, but is filled with scratches, markings, missing frames, etc. The restored version improves that part of picture, but with the clean-up, we get smeary picture, poorer contrast, and lack of a certain kind of sharpness. But it does show me what the extremes look like and with imagination, I can see a pretty decent presentation. But if I have to use my imagination, I guess I should go read a book.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 02 2013 - 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by John Morgan 

This is a terribly frustrating release. Too bad they couldn’t have done a third version that was sort of in the middle of the restored and raw.

I am no expert on presenting these old films with iffy elements on BluRay, but the restored version looks like what stills look like if I try to correct them with my small photoshop program and hit the Auto Smart Fix button. It usually screws things up more. And I have more luck if I individually correct elements by eye.

The sound for the raw version is just that, scratchy sound, all kinds of ticks and bumps in the track and a fairly high hiss level. The restored version cleans it up considerably and I think an improvement.

The picture on the raw version has a lot more detail, but is filled with scratches, markings, missing frames, etc. The restored version improves that part of picture, but with the clean-up, we get smeary picture, poorer contrast, and lack of a certain kind of sharpness.

But it does show me what the extremes look like and with imagination, I can see a pretty decent presentation. But if I have to use my imagination, I guess I should go read a book.

what i had hoped for was going to be the best possible release version,  didnt happen, well thankfuly the raw version is on there as well, i know it in the PD, but come on where is the effort to do it right. For those intrested there is another PD title from the same era,  that shows what a release like this could have been, and that would be The Most Dangerous Game from Flickeralley, had that level of work ben done to get this right, i think we would all have been pleased.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Essanay Paul

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted October 30 2013 - 01:46 PM

Cary Roan (formerly of The Roan Group) is going to release his 35mm print of WHITE ZOMBIE on Blu-ray through VCI Home video.

Here is the information I got from VCI about Cary's new HD transfer:

Roan has done a new 4k HD transfer of his materials, plus I believe he has found some new materials to improve some of the scenes. I have seen his rough transfer, before any restoration, and it should produce a very nice Blu-ray. Roan guaranteed me it would blow the Kino version away. We are supposed to get the completed master any day. He is also going to provide a new commentary track by Gary Don Rhodes (wrote book on White Zombie), plus all of the other extras from the laser disc and DVD.
VCI Home Video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users