-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

3D vs. 2D - overall quality difference?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted January 29 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hi, I'm planning on upgrading my TV in a month or two, and I remain unconvinced about 3D. However, I've noticed that there isn't a great deal of price disparity between 2D and 3D sets (my price range is quite low... in the $700 range... and I'm looking for a 46" or 47" set). I'm an "old movie" lover--and other than Dial 'M' for Murder and Creature from the Black Lagoon (and maybe Kiss Me, Kate -- if it's ever released in 3D) there are virtually no titles that interest me in the 3D format [I'd get Scorsese's HUGO, but I can't think of any other recent 3D release that I'd bother purchasing]. So my question is this: do 3D TVs exhibit 2D images with no drop in quality (this is going on the assumption that all the other specs are equal)? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 of 5 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,880 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 29 2013 - 05:07 AM

This isn't a hard and fast rule but in general the best 2D devices also display 3D. Or, looking at it another way, pretty much every name brand 3D TV is a pretty stellar 2D device. Honestly terrific HDTVs are now a commodity item. You can go nuts like I did and spend over $2700 on a top of the line 3D Plasma but the pure image quality differential there is hard to put a value on.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 5 WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted January 29 2013 - 05:12 AM

Thank you! So I'll probably go the 3D route then!

#4 of 5 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,007 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 05:28 AM

This isn't a hard and fast rule but in general the best 2D devices also display 3D. Or, looking at it another way, pretty much every name brand 3D TV is a pretty stellar 2D device. Honestly terrific HDTVs are now a commodity item. You can go nuts like I did and spend over $2700 on a top of the line 3D Plasma but the pure image quality differential there is hard to put a value on.

+1. I got a panasonic gt25 set. it works great. the PQ is just amazing for both 2d and 3d. I agree with the other poster. you should be fine. I would recommend active 3d over passive unles you have a big family where you need alot of 3d glasses. plama is also the best way to go with 3d if you ever do consider 3d. Jacob

#5 of 5 orestes

orestes

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 06:52 AM

Just select a 3D tv which plays best 2D just in case the 3D hype dies down. I am planning to buy one in the future and I will use this same advice when I am ready to buy. I hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users