What's new

Blu-ray Review Grand Hotel Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Sorry about the tardiness of this review. I had a frustrating word-processing screw-up that resulted in my deletion of the original draft which led to me having to re-write it.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Thanks for the review, Ken! I finally saw this film late last year and enjoyed it. I'll pick up the Blu-ray when I'm in the mood to watch it again.

Its a good good film, Im actually getting the Warner Region Free Steelbook with the original and better art....why they do it in the UK and not in the US is beyond me..costs I guess :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks for the review! I have the blu-ray in the queue. In the early 90's, I saw the Broadway musical.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Steve, I saw the musical during its original Broadway run with its original cast intact, before the premature death of the actor playing the Baron. I also saw a touring,slightly sanitized production in Dallas, and another in Fort Worth (with Cyd Charisse playing the Garbo role). I also saw the movie in the big screen and enjoyed it very much. I even liked Crawford in it! She looked so young, almost vulnerable... Grand Hotel may not be the best movie of its year but it remains a film worth seeing for its craft, story and acting.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I would like to have seen Michael Jeter on Broadway. I saw the run in Dallas. It was an impressive production...after the first act, I went out to the lobby of the Music Hall and bought a ticket for a second performance. Looking forward to watching the blu soon!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Jeter and Karen Akers were great. The Dallas run was sanitized because at the end of the introduction the good doctor injects himself with morphine, not appropriate for the family-friendly production in Dallas. The drug addiction was retained in the FW run. I've often wondered why Fort Worth is more progressive than Dallas...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw the original Broadway run, too, though Brent Barrett had replaced David Carroll by the time I saw it the summer of its Tony wins. What an amazing, inventive production! Thanks for the review of the film, Ken. Looking forward to watching the movie on Blu after many years away from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks