Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Pictures on and not on Blu Ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 of 72 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 23 2013 - 10:04 AM

Paramount has released 1983's "Terms Of Endearment" on region-free blu-ray in France...currently available on Amazon there for US $20.29 including standard shipping...another thread on the release of "Marathon Man" on BD in Europe is already discussing its release and the beautiful transfer available on this newly-minted transfer!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

#42 of 72 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 23 2013 - 10:04 AM

Paramount has released 1983's "Terms Of Endearment" on region-free blu-ray in France...currently available on Amazon there for US $20.29 including standard shipping...another thread on the release of "Marathon Man" on BD in Europe is already discussing its release and the beautiful transfer available on this newly-minted transfer!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

#43 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted April 24 2013 - 10:32 PM

In terms of Best Picture Nominees, The two films that should be highest priority are 1931 East Lynne and 1934 The White Parade. 

Both are Fox titles.

Neither has ever been released on VHS anywhere in the world.

Neither has ever been released on LD anywhere in the world.

Neither has ever been released on DVD anywhere in the world

Neither has ever been aired on television anywhere in the world (to the best of my knowledge).

Both films exist, and are safe at UCLA, which has done SD transfers of their elements to DigiBeta in recent years.

A couple of years ago, I watched ALL 485 best picture nominees, and I went to UCLA to view East Lynne and The White Parade. The latter was in terrible shape; the former, better shape. I actually have a copy of East Lynne.

I would dearly love to have both films as i need them for my collection... only a few more nominees to go and I have them ALL on home video disc!!!! :D

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#44 of 72 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,181 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:43 AM

Warren,

I'm planning a trip to LA and would like to visit UCLA and view East Lynne and The White Parade.

What are the steps I should follow to gain access to a viewing of these films? Thanks.

Jose

#45 of 72 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted April 26 2013 - 10:27 PM

I know Tom Jones has been announced for HD release .. only problem is I can't remember where I read that! I've noted it in my special 'forthcoming' list of titles I must have....... along with Bad Day at Black Rock, Lolita 50th Anniversary. In the Heat of the Night, Carmen Jones and The Ghost and Mrs Muir.

#46 of 72 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,460 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 27 2013 - 04:55 AM

I hadn't read anything about Tom Jones or In the Heat of the Night or Bad Day at Black Rock coming to Blu-ray. Maybe in Region B?

Certainly I'd want all of them if they DID get released.

#47 of 72 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted April 27 2013 - 05:04 AM

I know Tom Jones has been announced for HD release .. only problem is I can't remember where I read that! I've noted it in my special 'forthcoming' list of titles I must have....... along with Bad Day at Black Rock, Lolita 50th Anniversary. In the Heat of the Night, Carmen Jones and The Ghost and Mrs Muir.

Oh, Gosh, I hope so. :dance:

#48 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 02:25 PM

From Here to Eternity later this year!

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#49 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 08:20 PM

If you find confirmations on Tom Jones  and In the Heat of the Night, please let me know so I can udate this list!! :)

#50 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'm glad to see Cavalcade has a firm release date; I just wish they had included more bonus features seeing as how it was the leading write-in candidate. 

There is so much they could have done fort it, but I guess we have to be thankful we are getting it at all, and I am extremely greatful...

#51 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 02:48 PM

From Here to Eternity has a firm release date of October 1st, 2013!

#52 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'm glad to hear that Terms of Endearment is finally comming to BLU, but I wish they Had included some bonus features...

Edited by battlebeast, September 30 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#53 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 08:28 AM

From Here to Eternity is out tomorrow, and in a month we'll get Oliver!, and a month after that we get Endearment. Hopefully 2014 will see some more BP's and nominees come out... be nice to get some 30's noms out, even in a box set or something...

a couple years ago, someone released a set called "The Envelope Please: The Academy Collection", which contained 6 Best Picture nominees on DVD in  a box set. The Racket, Alibi, The Private Life of Henry VIIIThe Front Page, A Star is Born and Love Affair. Not the greatest quality, but nice to have them available. (the set is OOP, I think.)

I wish more studios would do this, especially with the films from the 30's.

Warners has the best chance to do this; They have a great deal of nominees they could release, but their excuse is that these films need lots of work before they can be released. (Does anyone really care for Bomba: the Jungle Boy over something like Test Pilot, Disreali or The Story of Louis Pasteur, two of them being Best Actor winners? 

Just wondering.

#54 of 72 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,181 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted September 30 2013 - 08:57 AM

battlebeast,

That set of 6 movies consisted of PD titles in dreadful dupes, I'm sure. I stayed clear of it. All of these titles can be acquired in legit versions or at least be viewed in decent copies via TCM. I know your goal is to own them all, but as I've written you, the PQ does affect your enjoyment and evaluation of the movies.

I'll PM you later to continue our conversation regarding the BP winners.

Jose

#55 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 10:32 AM

I bought the set for The Racket, mostly, but I have since purchased better copies (Although The Front Page it seems I cannot find a decent copy.)

#56 of 72 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,181 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted September 30 2013 - 11:38 AM

The best prints nowadays, AFAIK, of The Racket and The Front Page are shown on TCM. The Front Page is not in very good shape.

#57 of 72 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,614 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 30 2013 - 03:43 PM

Updated my earlier post here about rights holders

Edited by Brandon Conway, September 30 2013 - 03:46 PM.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#58 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 06:52 PM

Oliver! and The Best Years of Our Lives are due out tomorrow and in a week, so I have updated there status accordingly, and Terms of Endearment is still due out in December.

Anyone else have any news on Best Pictures?

A new Edition of Million Dollar Baby is due out next year.

I have a question about Crash: is the Blu-Ray barebones? Does it have any Bonus Features? is it the Director's cut?

#59 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 10:11 AM

In the Heat of the Night Has been revealed for January 14th, 2014! WOOOOTTT!!!

#60 of 72 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 10:25 AM

Also, SUNRISE! Two more for January! Woot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users